The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

If Dortmund were kitted out in Bayern red the game would already be over and they'd have 11 men. Watched Robben deliberately kick the ball away yesterday and escape a booking but Sokratis is given two yellows for a gesture telling the the referee he's wrong.

Edited by Scottish⑦Canuck

1 hour ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Hertha must be the dirtiest team in the BL.

Frankfurt is a very close second. At least this time cards were handed out. Last time we met Hertha they had way over 20 fouls and maybe 2 yellow. Haraguchi alone had 7 fouls in that game and no yellow.

28 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

If Dortmund were kitted out in Bayern red the game would already be over and they'd have 11 men. Watched Robben deliberately kick the ball away yesterday and escape a booking but Sokratis is given two yellows for a gesture telling the the referee he's wrong.

Didn't watch the game yesterday, but generally that seems to be the case. Don't know how many elbows Ribery handed out in his career but I can guarantee he has never seen a yellow for it.

As for Sokratis, that was dumb. But yes, maybe some refs are a little more sensitive to those situations than others.

United comfortably ahead of Watford 2-0 midway through the 2nd half. Mata and Martial with the goals. Mata also revealed his desire to return to Spain after winning the title with United first. Hope he can continue to have a solid season and finishes the year on a tear. He's going to be needed in next week's clash vs St. Etienne in EL Rnd of 32 1st leg. Go United!

Clutch 3 points for United vs Watford. Watford showed signs of promise early in the 2nd half but didn't generate much. Mata finished a clever pass from Martial with ease in the 1st half to take a 1-0 lead. Then Martial made a good sold run with the ball after Ibra took Mkhitaryan's pass who set it up for Martial and slotted it into the bottom corner. Ibra also had tons of chances and could've had a goal or two. De Gea gets another clutch clean sheet and made a big save on Watford's clean sheet. United had full control and passed Liverpool at least for now and into a top 5 spot. Hope they keep this form going into the Europa League, EFL Cup Final coming up and the FA Cup. Go United!

So, for the next home game the whole Südtribüne will remain empty. Officially because of insulting banners and chants against RB Leipzig. Sure. With that logic from now on every club in the Bundesliga has to get the same sentence every single matchday. Cause that's what happens every single matchday.

Inofficially the DFB (German FA) is punishing us for the beating of RB Leipzig supporters by a ultra/hooligan group (of which 90% of the members are enjoying a lifetime ban from our grounds) which happened outside of the stadium and thereby is outside of the jurisdiction of the DFB.

Delightful.

9 hours ago, Lateralus91 said:

So, for the next home game the whole Südtribüne will remain empty. Officially because of insulting banners and chants against RB Leipzig. Sure. With that logic from now on every club in the Bundesliga has to get the same sentence every single matchday. Cause that's what happens every single matchday.

Inofficially the DFB (German FA) is punishing us for the beating of RB Leipzig supporters by a ultra/hooligan group (of which 90% of the members are enjoying a lifetime ban from our grounds) which happened outside of the stadium and thereby is outside of the jurisdiction of the DFB.

Delightful.

Wow that's a shame. Dortmund are one of my favourite clubs also. Reus, Aubameyang, Weidenfeller are among my favourite Dort mund players and I would have to assume that those are among the fan favourites also. Is there any chance they rescind that and let you, the supporters, back into the Sudtribune? I hope they do. The team needs support as I believe that is their motivation to work hard and win every match they can so they can make the fans leave with a smile on their faces. Wish for all the best! Go Dortmund! 

On 2017-02-13 at 3:44 AM, Lateralus91 said:

Delightful.

Wasn't it also from the banner which told Rangnick to hang himself? Or was that a separate issue?

Edited by CaptainCanuck001

11 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Wow that's a shame. Dortmund are one of my favourite clubs also. Reus, Aubameyang, Weidenfeller are among my favourite Dort mund players and I would have to assume that those are among the fan favourites also. Is there any chance they rescind that and let you, the supporters, back into the Sudtribune? I hope they do. The team needs support as I believe that is their motivation to work hard and win every match they can so they can make the fans leave with a smile on their faces. Wish for all the best! Go Dortmund! 

No, the club accepted the penalty and now it's official. For the match on saturday the stand will remain empty.

3 hours ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

Wasn't it also from the banner witch told Rangnick to hang himself? Or was that a separate issue?

Yes, that was one of the banners. And that was one of the 3-4 banners that were definitely too much. But usually that gets a financial penalty as well as civil charges against the fans who painted it if they can be identified. And I guess because we were already on probation that would merit a partial suspension of the lower part of the Südtribüne, where all ultras are standing. I would understand that.

But closing the top part as well is pure idiocy by the DFB. I don't think it's a good idea just to make an example of it. You deny 25k people the entrance into the stadium. For Leverkusen, that would be their entire stadium. Our ultras, most of them peaceful are quite agitated now and I don't think that's something anyone would want. The danger that the good part of our ultras will now show solidarity with the scum of that hooligan group (namely the "0231 Riots") will be higher than ever.

For further reading on the hooligan group I found a newspaper article translated on reddit:

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

7 years in a row going out in the round of 16 for Arsenal?

Yep.

Something about insanity and doing the same thing over and over again.

At this point, we need to replace Coquelin and that's it.  The real change needs to be managerial.

New ideas or new mentality for these types of games are needed.

4 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Yep.

Something about insanity and doing the same thing over and over again.

At this point, we need to replace Coquelin and that's it.  The real change needs to be managerial.

New ideas or new mentality for these types of games are needed.

The only way I see Wegner leaving is if he steps down himself. Kroenke is just happy finishing top4 and making that CL money. 

Saying that, Wenger has been making some clueless decisions for years now. Oxlade-Chamberlain was playing amazingly well in CM for you guys lately, so why does Wegner shift him to the right. Xhaka has been dreadful in every game I've watched of Arsenal this year. 

1 hour ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

The only way I see Wegner leaving is if he steps down himself. Kroenke is just happy finishing top4 and making that CL money. 

Saying that, Wenger has been making some clueless decisions for years now. Oxlade-Chamberlain was playing amazingly well in CM for you guys lately, so why does Wegner shift him to the right. Xhaka has been dreadful in every game I've watched of Arsenal this year. 

Yeah, it's totally Wenger's call, unfortunately.  But really, its best for him and the club to part.  He provided 20 years, accomplished a lot, established a unique identity and really the only thing he didn't get to do was win a CL and we're pretty far from that (evidently).  I don't believe anybody thinks he can bring Arsenal back to where they were from 99-06 and it sucks to see fans criticize every decision that doesn't render a positive result.

My thinking as well.   I'm not sure why he moved Ox to the wing after his performance against Hull (unless Walcott had a slight knock or something).

I didn't like Xhaka's game today (well everybody save Ox, Sanchez, and Ospina were woeful) but I still think he's the right signing.  He has all the tools to be a monster in the midfield and I think its just a matter of time before he gets his discipline under control.  If he can emerge as a leader on the pitch like he was at Monchengladbach as his Arsenal career goes on, he can definitely improve this team.

But, yeah, Coq needs to go.  Brings passion and loyalty and did a lot in an Arsenal shirt than many would have ever thought he would but he simply doesn't cut it against the big teams.  When healthy, Cazorla strengthens the midfield and really helps out Ozil in the playmaking department which makes the team game look more fluid and allows them to compete with Europe's best.  With Coq and Xhaka, it leaves Ozil all by himself to try and move the ball forward and pick out guys, which is why I believe he's looked awful the last few months because he's the only passing threat for the opposition to worry about.

Finding a long-term Cazorla replacement (maybe Ox) needs to be the target this summer.  Strengthening at LB should also be a priority.  And without question, getting Sanchez and Ozil (despite his performances) signed are a must.

23 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Yeah, it's totally Wenger's call, unfortunately.  But really, its best for him and the club to part.  He provided 20 years, accomplished a lot, established a unique identity and really the only thing he didn't get to do was win a CL and we're pretty far from that (evidently).  I don't believe anybody thinks he can bring Arsenal back to where they were from 99-06 and it sucks to see fans criticize every decision that doesn't render a positive result.

My thinking as well.   I'm not sure why he moved Ox to the wing after his performance against Hull (unless Walcott had a slight knock or something).

I didn't like Xhaka's game today (well everybody save Ox, Sanchez, and Ospina were woeful) but I still think he's the right signing.  He has all the tools to be a monster in the midfield and I think its just a matter of time before he gets his discipline under control.  If he can emerge as a leader on the pitch like he was at Monchengladbach as his Arsenal career goes on, he can definitely improve this team.

But, yeah, Coq needs to go.  Brings passion and loyalty and did a lot in an Arsenal shirt than many would have ever thought he would but he simply doesn't cut it against the big teams.  When healthy, Cazorla strengthens the midfield and really helps out Ozil in the playmaking department which makes the team game look more fluid and allows them to compete with Europe's best.  With Coq and Xhaka, it leaves Ozil all by himself to try and move the ball forward and pick out guys, which is why I believe he's looked awful the last few months because he's the only passing threat for the opposition to worry about.

Finding a long-term Cazorla replacement (maybe Ox) needs to be the target this summer.  Strengthening at LB should also be a priority.  And without question, getting Sanchez and Ozil (despite his performances) signed are a must.

IMO, I think only one of Ozil or Alexis will stay with you after this season. 

1 minute ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

IMO, I think only one of Ozil or Alexis will stay with you after this season. 

Entirely possible this is the case.  Ozil's my guy but Alexis has proven to be way too valuable for us.

Hopefully, it works out in the end, whether both sign or we find a way to replace one of the two.