The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

11 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Big day for US Soccer. Can only hope Alphonso Davies can be half as good as Pulisic and lead the charge for a golden Canadian generation some day.

Good time for Davies to come in. Bayern having a bad season, Ribery and Robben showing their age. Coman and Gnabry are injured a lot. Davies has been in training with Bayern since the end of MLS regular season. Bundesliga is in winter break now and he can have an additional 2-3 weeks of preparation.

Still, as a Dortmund fan, I hope he fails miserably. :P

5 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Liverpool FC vs Manchester City FC will be shown live on a TSN channel near you.

I am excited. This is a big league match between the 2 best clubs in England this campaign.

Going to be one hell of a game.

• Upvote 1

On 1/2/2019 at 1:43 AM, Lateralus91 said:

Pulisic to Chelsea for 64m € + loan back to Dortmund until the end of this season.

That's a lot for a player who has spent most of his time on the bench this season and has only 18 months left on his contract. Must be one expensive passport.

Susi Zorc committing highway robbery here. Love it.

To Pulisic, I hope he can focus on what he can do best. This season his head already seems to be somewhere else. Trying too much 1-on-1s which is not his strong suit. Should focus more on his passing game. He could still be a very good player for Chelsea, but he should stop trying to be Ousmane Dembélé or Jadon Sancho. If he continues doing that he will fail at Chelsea. But Sarri might be a good coach for him to get rid of that habit.

Personally stoked to see Chelsea's 64 million euro signing benched for a 31 year old Willian.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

You can take the boy out of Liverpool, but you can't take the Liverpool out of the boy....https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/soccer/sheriff-soccer-star-rooney-charged-with-public-intoxication/ar-BBRSv41?li=AAggNb9

Soccer star Wayne Rooney was arrested last month at a Washington-area airport on a charge of public intoxication, authorities said Sunday.

The Loudon County Sheriff's Office in Virginia said Rooney was jailed Dec. 16 after his arrest on the misdemeanour charge by police at the Dulles International Airport in Virginia and then released on his own recognizance. The sheriff's office released a mugshot from his booking that showed Rooney in what appeared to be an orange jail jumpsuit.

Court documents say Rooney was charged with public swearing and intoxication. He paid a $25 fine Friday.

• Haha 3

On 1/7/2019 at 12:42 AM, Chip Kelly said:

Wasn't this the guy caught cheating on his wife banging a high class underage prostitute?

Yes. He's also hit a teammate in the face a few years ago and earlier this year he did the same to a French journalist.

He's also had numerous occasions on field where he should've been sent off due to him elbowing etc.

Other clubs would have gotten rid of such a character (or lack thereof) ages ago. But to quote Bayern president Uli Hoeneß (who served a sentence for tax evasion himself not too long ago), it's the Bayern family, so...

They have a bit of a mobster mentality going on at the club with Hoeneß back at the helm.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Alphonso Davies made his debut with Bayern today, in the final of the Telekom Cup. He didn't score, but played the full match and showed "flashes of brilliance" according to reports.

Bayern defeated Borussia Mönchengladbach 4-2 in penalties.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Alphonso Davies made his debut with Bayern today, in the final of the Telekom Cup. He didn't score, but played the full match and showed "flashes of brilliance" according to reports.

Bayern defeated Borussia Mönchengladbach 4-2 in penalties.

Made this ridiculous move:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah, he also got barged over by a defender while inside the 18 yd box, but didn't get the penalty call....

Hint of racism perhaps?

Just last week they were talking on ESPN FC, how an African player for the Italian club Napoli was racially abused in Milan by the opposing fans. Think it was Kouoiibaly or something.

So it does still go on.

I can't believe that is acceptable at all in this day and age. 

4 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Hint of racism perhaps?

Just last week they were talking on ESPN FC, how an African player for the Italian club Napoli was racially abused in Milan by the opposing fans. Think it was Kouoiibaly or something.

So it does still go on.

It still happens everywhere in Europe tbh. Plus Germany has a huge migrant crisis right now.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sad news for Cardiff City:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-guernsey-46954922

Premier League footballer Emiliano Sala was on a light aircraft which went missing over the Channel Islands.

The £15m Argentine striker, 28, was one of two people on board the Piper Malibu which lost contact off Alderney in the Channel Islands on Monday night.

Cardiff City, which signed Sala from French club Nantes in a record deal on Saturday, said it was "very shocked".

Guernsey Police said there was "no trace" of the Cardiff-bound flight and has suspended the search for the night.

"We have found no signs of those on board," the force tweeted.

"If they did land on the water, the chances of survival are at this stage, unfortunately, slim."

On 1/14/2019 at 11:16 AM, Chip Kelly said:

Hint of racism perhaps?

So it does still go on.

On 1/14/2019 at 4:11 PM, ReggieBush said:

It still happens everywhere in Europe tbh. Plus Germany has a huge migrant crisis right now.

Really?

A blown call by the referee in a meaningless game and you suspect racism?

Overreaction much?

Huge migrant crisis might be a tad too much as well.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Lateralus91 said:

And what does that have to do with the decision of the referee?

Maybe it doesn't but European soccer is kind of turning a blind eye to racism and trying to sweep it under the rug imo.

It could have been Davies didn't get the call  simply because he is an unproven young player. 

Still something to watch going forward how he gets treated.

2 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Maybe it doesn't but European soccer is kind of turning a blind eye to racism and trying to sweep it under the rug imo.

It could have been Davies didn't get the call  simply because he is an unproven young player. 

Still something to watch going forward how he gets treated.

I think that's a very generalising statement to make.

You are right that there are incidents in European football where the UEFA or some national associations haven't done a good enough job of punishing fans or players who made racist remarks etc. We haven't had an incident in Germany where a whole group of fans made racist remarks towards a player in I don't even know how long. Judging by the media that happens mostly in Italy (think there was an incident in England recently, though).

I know for example my club Borussia Dortmund is doing everything they can to eradicate right wing extremists from our stands. The city of Dortmund has a bit of a history with those people and in the northern part of the city still has problems with neo nazis and such. So did the club up until the late 80s (maybe you'll find something if you google 'Borussenfront'). Since then they have handed out hundreds of bans, dissolved multiple right winged fan groups and cooperated with the police to single out those individuals to identify them and have them arrested. They started a fan project and employ multiple social workers nowadays to prevent right wing extremism in the city and the stands. And we are far from being the only club in Germany doing something like that.

I don't think that there is evidence that would suggest that there is systemic racism from refs towards African players for example.

On 1/25/2019 at 11:21 PM, Lateralus91 said:

I think that's a very generalising statement to make.

You are right that there are incidents in European football where the UEFA or some national associations haven't done a good enough job of punishing fans or players who made racist remarks etc. We haven't had an incident in Germany where a whole group of fans made racist remarks towards a player in I don't even know how long. Judging by the media that happens mostly in Italy (think there was an incident in England recently, though).

I know for example my club Borussia Dortmund is doing everything they can to eradicate right wing extremists from our stands. The city of Dortmund has a bit of a history with those people and in the northern part of the city still has problems with neo nazis and such. So did the club up until the late 80s (maybe you'll find something if you google 'Borussenfront'). Since then they have handed out hundreds of bans, dissolved multiple right winged fan groups and cooperated with the police to single out those individuals to identify them and have them arrested. They started a fan project and employ multiple social workers nowadays to prevent right wing extremism in the city and the stands. And we are far from being the only club in Germany doing something like that.

I don't think that there is evidence that would suggest that there is systemic racism from refs towards African players for example.

I think we might be reading a bit too much into it.

I've seen calls made and calls not made in pretty much equal amounts for similar plays over the years. I doubt there was anything to it, other than the ref deciding it wasn't worth a penalty. Possibly a bit of "game management" with the score level, in a Cup final....

I think we tend to see it a certain way, because we all want to see Phonsie do well, but I don't see bias anywhere in the situation. It was just a call that didn't go his way......this time.

• Cheers 2