The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

On 2/1/2019 at 3:10 PM, Lateralus91 said:

@Scottish⑦Canuck Good luck with your new bhoy Jerry Toljan! :lol:

I like the signing but I hate short term loan deals. The player never has time to settle in and get used to the new system before they're off again.

Toljan showed enough at Hoffenheim to prove he can be a good player. He was dreadful last season, but then so were most of the Dortmund squad.

19 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

I like the signing but I hate short term loan deals. The player never has time to settle in and get used to the new system before they're off again.

Toljan showed enough at Hoffenheim to prove he can be a good player. He was dreadful last season, but then so were most of the Dortmund squad.

Don't think it'll be too hard for you to get him on a permanent deal in the summer if he likes it in Glasgow. Favre certainly has absolutely no use for him (I think he has been in a match roster this season only once or twice despite Schmelzer missing a lot of games). For Toljan it's just about being a consistent defender. He does fine offensively but the occasional brain fart in defence does happen a little too often for the liking of most BVB fans.

Edited by Lateralus91

8 hours ago, otherwise said:

From Dec.1

I have a few more pics if anyone caresIMG_20181201_1635555.thumb.jpg.879355b040cf62f22c85394133a380b6.jpg

Over Christmas I was at Liverpool Vs Arsenal and Liverpool @ man city 

the vs arsenal game was amazing. Spurs lost right before, wverhone started to believe that match you could feel it 

@ city was an unbelievable experience despite the loss. We were Liverpool fans but not in the away section. Man that was the most intense atmosphere I’ve ever been in

17 hours ago, Tony Romo said:

Over Christmas I was at Liverpool Vs Arsenal and Liverpool @ man city 

the vs arsenal game was amazing. Spurs lost right before, wverhone started to believe that match you could feel it 

@ city was an unbelievable experience despite the loss. We were Liverpool fans but not in the away section. Man that was the most intense atmosphere I’ve ever been in

how dare you break t&c and not be in the away section as an away supporter :lol:

what section were you in at city?

• 2 weeks later...

Additional time in the first half of today's game in Nuremberg.

Ref awards a corner to Dortmund. Suddenly the Nuremberg fans start to throw little soft black balls on to the pitch, which they have done twice in that game before (in protest against Monday games in the Bundesliga).

As a result the referee blows the whistle for half time without giving Dortmund the chance to execute the corner.

So, all this time watching football we fans were able to end a game? Just by throwing a couple of balls onto the pitch? Great. From now on I'm going to do that every time we have a lead! :picard:

That was already a terribly officiated match without even considering that scene. But I have never seen something like that in my life. What on earth was he thinking?

Interesting article in Sports Illustrated about the woes of Real Madrid:

https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/03/06/real-madrid-collapse-champions-league-la-liga-barcelona-ajax?utm_campaign=si-extra&utm_source=si.com&utm_medium=email&utm_content=2019030612PM&eminfo={"EMAIL"%3a"LvyFAxRXrYkvxcpwN%2biPS96HGpWbRE2a"%2c"BRAND"%3a"SI"%2c"CONTENT"%3a"Newsletter"%2c"UID"%3a"SI_EXT_621CA40A-744C-4C5E-B664-9B6CDA41E5AC"%2c"SUBID"%3a"98886429"%2c"JOBID"%3a"942392"%2c"NEWSLETTER"%3a"SI_EXTRA"%2c"ZIP"%3a""%2c"COUNTRY"%3a"CAN"}

I noticed the commentators in the RM/Ajax Championship League game yesterday were also shovelling dirt on Real.

It all seems a bit premature to me given that we're talking about a team that has won the last three Championship titles.

Edited by UnkNuk

Massive kudos to Utd for the result in Paris... Absolutely fantastic.

They were given zero chance with a depleted squad, but defied the odds....

in 18 games since returning OGS record is 14W- 2D and 1 defeat.. incredible turn around...

Chuffed to bits...

Edited by spook007

Huge win for United. PSG was threatening all game though. THey are so dynamic. United had a bit of luck with the post, VAR and DiMaria going offside but a huge result nonetheless. The handball hurts if you are a PSG fan but it was the right call. 

It was great to see Lukaku perform in a big game, which historically he hasn't done. I think he has 2 goals in each of his last 3 games now.

I have to admit I wrote them off with needing 3 away goals and a margin of victory of 2 without Paul Pogba. What Ole has done with that squad is amazing.

After watching the Rennes/Arsenal game today I'm again reminded of how unjust it is for a team to have to play short handed if one of its players gets two yellow cards.  Throw him out of the game, sure, but allow his team to substitute for him.  The team loses one of its starters and has to use up one of its substitutions in an unplanned manner - that's penalty enough.  If the team has already used up all its substitutions then it has to play short handed but that will usually only happen in the last fifteen minutes or so.  To demand that a team plays twenty, thirty or, as in the case today, fifty minutes short handed is over-kill.  Plus, from a spectator's point of view, a team playing short handed  dramatically affects the game, not in a good way.

I'd really like to see this rule changed.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, ItalianCanuck1 said:

Di Francesco has been sacked by AS Roma.

It's almost sure Ranier will be the interim coach until july.

Unfair imo. I rate EDF as a coach a lot. Its tough when the board doesn't invest in the positions that have been issues for YEARS at Roma you are going to have problems. They sold 3 starters from last year and it shows.

Also where in Italy do you reside? Se Friulano

Edited by ReggieBush