The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

11 hours ago, Lateralus91 said:

Only French and German teams left. Already feeling the Brexit? :P

All jokes aside. I hope Lyon wins it. No sympathies for any other team. Realistically though, Bayern will make it. Even more furious now we were so terrible in the second leg against PSG. They have no business even being in the Semis this year.

Bayern or Lyon are preferable to PSG or Leipzig for me. 

I'm not fond of artificial clubs that rely solely on money for success, although Red Bull have admittedly done a fantastic job of scouting in both Salzburg and Leipzig. 

5 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Bayern or Lyon are preferable to PSG or Leipzig for me. 

I'm not fond of artificial clubs that rely solely on money for success, although Red Bull have admittedly done a fantastic job of scouting in both Salzburg and Leipzig. 

Leipzig isn’t a money first team though. The German system stops that happening a club can only ever be 50% owned with the rest being by fans I believe. they have made exceptional and smart decisions on players, development and coaching philosophy and they are repeating the rewards 

19 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Leipzig isn’t a money first team though. The German system stops that happening a club can only ever be 50% owned with the rest being by fans I believe. they have made exceptional and smart decisions on players, development and coaching philosophy and they are repeating the rewards 

I'm not denying that they've made smart decisions, but they only got to where they are by Red Bull pumping money into an existing club. With regards to 50+1, they essentially bypassed that system by releasing a tiny number of memberships, buying 49% themselves and then deciding who they wanted to take the remaining memberships. 

But yes, their scouting and development model is to be admired. In Salzburg especially. That's a factory of fantastic players. 

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Maybe not a money first team, but a money first club. They literally wouldn't even exist without it. They bought the license of another club just so they didn't have to start from 10th League or so. The club's sole reason for existence is a marketing ploy. Other clubs use advertising as a means to make money. RB Leipzig however is the means.

btw Sancho did this today:

34 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Go Phonzie can't believe he gets to go against mega stars like Neymar and Mbappe!!!

From the sounds of this article, he should feel right at home:

***************************************************************************************************************

"Bayern Munich rising star Alphonso Davies ranked among top 10 most valuable players in the world"

Alphonso Davies is a 200-million-dollar man.

That’s the position of the CIES Football Observatory, which released its biannual transfer value list and ranked Davies as the No. 9 player in the world in that category, at 133.5 million Euros. By comparison, it's possible you could buy the entire Arizona Coyotes franchise for $400 million.

Davies is in the company of such renowned world soccer superstars as Mohamed Salah of Liverpool, Marcus Rashford of Manchester United, Jadon Sancho of Dortmund and ahead of No. 10 Tottenham Hotspur striker Harry Kane, who won the Golden Boot at the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

The No. 1 player in valuation is Paris Saint-German forward Kylian Mbappe, who won the World Cup with France at age 20 and is estimated to be worth $393 million. The world record for transfer fees is $337 million.

Davies’ star has ascended rapidly since his transfer to Bayern Munich on Jan. 1, 2019, for a fee of $14.75 million, which is going to turn out to be one of the great steals in world soccer history. Bayern wisely signed him to a contract extension that runs until 2025 in April.

He appeared in six Bundesliga games in his first half-season with the team, playing primarily on the wing. He was converted to left back after a month of the 2019-20 season and has started 21 times there, demonstrating his exceptional speed and dynamism in scoring three goals and assisting on four others.

CIES uses its own algorithm to project player value. Davies is the youngest player among the top 20 players in its rankings. He joins Liverpool’s Trent Alexander-Arnold (No. 4) as the only fullbacks among the top 20.

The website Transfermarkt lists Davies with a much more conservative valuation of $66 million.

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/soccer/news/alphonso-davies-bayern-munich-most-valuable-players/guqc87r685ba1u0s7uodsjmn9#:~:text=Alphonso Davies is a 200,category%2C at 133.5 million Euros.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Preamble caveat, I’m not a Trump supporter and I agree that’s sports personalities should feel free to express themselves politically, but shouldn’t whine if it bites them in the butt. With that out of the way.

So two years from now if the world is ordinary enough to have a World Cup, are people going to go back to the stance that sports and politics don’t mix? Considering this World Cup is basically built on slavery and Qatar sanctions the death penalty for people of LGBQT, how can any western nation, or any nation with half a brain for human rights, go in good conscious to that World Cup without looking like giant hypocrites? Will team USA if they qualify take a knee for modern day slavery? Or will they bow to their masters because they’re not white? How can Sweden, one of the most LGBQT friendly nations go? TSN ran a long column post election about how the sports world came together to make a difference in stopping Trump, but really, is Trump really the problem or just a symptom of a screwed up political system? The worlds problems haven’t magically disappeared and now there’s one less scapegoat to crutch onto. 

How can can any one of you who posted in that thread every day for the past four years justify watching a minute of it? Will you? Or will it as usual be one of those many exceptions you reason with yourself is ok and make up for by being an extra good virtue signaler later? It’s not currency, you either believe in what you say, or you are a hypocrite. I choose not to watch, will you?

On 11/12/2020 at 1:35 PM, canuckster19 said:

Preamble caveat, I’m not a Trump supporter and I agree that’s sports personalities should feel free to express themselves politically, but shouldn’t whine if it bites them in the butt. With that out of the way.

So two years from now if the world is ordinary enough to have a World Cup, are people going to go back to the stance that sports and politics don’t mix? Considering this World Cup is basically built on slavery and Qatar sanctions the death penalty for people of LGBQT, how can any western nation, or any nation with half a brain for human rights, go in good conscious to that World Cup without looking like giant hypocrites? Will team USA if they qualify take a knee for modern day slavery? Or will they bow to their masters because they’re not white? How can Sweden, one of the most LGBQT friendly nations go? TSN ran a long column post election about how the sports world came together to make a difference in stopping Trump, but really, is Trump really the problem or just a symptom of a screwed up political system? The worlds problems haven’t magically disappeared and now there’s one less scapegoat to crutch onto. 

How can can any one of you who posted in that thread every day for the past four years justify watching a minute of it? Will you? Or will it as usual be one of those many exceptions you reason with yourself is ok and make up for by being an extra good virtue signaler later? It’s not currency, you either believe in what you say, or you are a hypocrite. I choose not to watch, will you?

You are trying to fight a monster far older than President Trump.  You are trying to fight FIFA.  There is a completely different level of corruption and politics in soccer.  Name a sport where the governing body has more control than FIFA.

21 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

You are trying to fight a monster far older than President Trump.  You are trying to fight FIFA.  There is a completely different level of corruption and politics in soccer.  Name a sport where the governing body has more control than FIFA.

So you're going to watch because "you can't fight FIFA?" that's a crutch.

Spain 6-0 Germany

Germany just lost one game higher, against England in 1909. Also most goals conceded in a game since 1954.

Hope this finally puts an end to the Löw era. Overrated af. Winning the World Cup had more to do with Pep and Klopp managing the majority of Löws squad at that time.

• 4 weeks later...