The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

• 1 month later...

I went to France for Euro Cup few years ago. 

Had VIP tickets in marseile for semifinal France vs Germany. . Then wemt back to Paris for Fina Portugal vs France..

Best live sports event ive been to in my life. And i went to most playoff games during our last SCF run. Nothing compares to watching football in Europe especially at high level with best countries in world going head to head.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Tony Romo said:

so these last 7 games dont matter at all now for cl qualification?

Qualifying for the champions league is half the fun, guaranteeing yourself a spot in a super league takes that all away

Things could get ugly.  

**************************************************************************************************

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/18/sports/soccer/super-league-united-liverpool-juventus-madrid.html

UEFA was taking the threat seriously. Its leaders spent the weekend in discussions about how to block the plan, including banning the breakaway teams from their domestic leagues and blocking their players from competing for their national teams in events like the World Cup. European officials also pointedly reminded the prospective superleague clubs (and, effectively, their players) that soccer’s global governing body, FIFA, has backed their threats of expulsion.

My favourite takes so far:

Spoiler

It's a disgrace and the ultimate pinnacle of oligarchy. Football in Europe should be open to everyone, not an elite club of a few rich clubs. Kudos though to making FIFA and UEFA look like the saviours of football. I hope my club will withstand the calling for that construct and the financial pressure it puts on clubs not participating and remain in the Bundesliga.

• Upvote 1

It's a disgrace and sums up modern football.

I've posted this elsewhere, but I think there's massive hypocrisy from some about this, particularly from some of the big hitters at UEFA and in the media, both of whom have enabled this. These commercial ideals were invented by UEFA themselves and they've facilitated the transfer of power to the rich for decades, so they've dug this hole themselves.

The smaller leagues in Europe, which include some historically huge clubs, have been slowly forced out of premier European competition in favour of multiple teams from wealthier countries. It's ridiculous that the likes of England, Spain, Italy and Germany have been gifted 4 automatic places while the Champions of other countries are often required to start qualifying in JUNE. And that still isn't enough for them? It's disgusting.

• Like 2

This whole plan stinks and remove the chance of any "smaller" clubs from really competing against the big boys on the European stage.  Just think about how much harder it will be for clubs like Lille, West Ham, or others from achieving the dream of playing with the big boys.  This "super" league is absolute rubbish.

• Like 1

https://news.sky.com/story/european-super-league-chelsea-preparing-documents-to-formally-withdraw-from-competition-sky-news-understands-12281597

European Super League: Chelsea and Manchester City set to pull out of competition

Chelsea fans celebrated the news outside Stamford Bridge, delaying the kickoff of their game against Brighton.

https://www.mancity.com/news/mens/club-statement-super-league-withdraw-63754546

Manchester City Football Club can confirm that it has formally enacted the procedures to withdraw from the group developing plans for a European Super League.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/431956-liverpool-football-club-statement-20-april-2021#

Liverpool Football Club can confirm that our involvement in proposed plans to form a European Super League has been discontinued.

In recent days, the club has received representations from various key stakeholders, both internally and externally, and we would like to thank them for their valuable contributions.

2 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/431956-liverpool-football-club-statement-20-april-2021#

Liverpool Football Club can confirm that our involvement in proposed plans to form a European Super League has been discontinued.

In recent days, the club has received representations from various key stakeholders, both internally and externally, and we would like to thank them for their valuable contributions.

lmao FSG those absolute sleazeball scumbags

I’m still an FSG guy, they brought us a champions league and a premier league title, sure they shouldn’t have signed up for the super league but I’m always down for leaders looking for change and innovation. 

I heard that every league but the EPL is really struggling financially. Bayern, PSG and Juve win 9/10 every years no? so something will have to change.

The idea of the super league and separating from UEFA and not being forced to to give UEFA like half the profits isn’t a terrible idea. 

it’s the guaranteed spot in the super league that can’t happen for me.