The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

3 hours ago, Mj2345 said:

Some great fixtures in the final day of premier league today, I watched Liverpool/Crystal Palace on NBC

I watched the Arsenal/BHA game.        :towel:

And then I watched the last few minutes of the Leicester/Tottenham game.        :sadno:

I've read mixed opinions about participating in this new Europe competition - the Europa Conference League - next season.  Some Arsenal supporters are quite happy that Arsenal will not be involved in the competition.  The team can concentrate on the league games and hopefully finish in the top four and go to the Champions League in 22/23.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

I watched the Arsenal/BHA game.        :towel:

And then I watched the last few minutes of the Leicester/Tottenham game.        :sadno:

I've read mixed opinions about participating in this new Europe competition - the Europa Conference League - next season.  Some Arsenal supporters are quite happy that Arsenal will not be involved in the competition.  The team can concentrate on the league games and hopefully finish in the top four and go to the Champions League in 22/23.  

The Spuds get the honour of having to complete in the Conference League.   Might be their best bet for some silverware.  

After watching the Europa League championship game I was reminded why I wished that they would do away with the extra 30 minutes of play after a draw in regulation time and, instead, simply go straight to the shoot-out.

In any event, congrats to Villareal.

It isn't European football, but it is International football and I don't think we need a new thread.

What are people's thoughts about Brazil stepping up to host the Copa America, despite it's Covid numbers being worse than Argentina's? (who withdrew because of virus concerns)

Bolsonaro has been a bigger clown than Trump when it comes to the Corona virus and if I were one of the players, I wouldn't feel safe at all.

5 hours ago, BoKnows said:

Big game for Canada today against Suriname.

Yep. I was reading about this last week and Suriname is allowing Dutch players with ties to South America to play, so this promises to be much tougher than would be otherwise.

Have a feeling France will win the Euros. Teams like Belgium, Spain, Portugal, England will be threats but Les Bleus are too deep. Mbappe is one of the world’s best, their midfield with Pogba, Kante and their defence with Varane, Pavard, Laporte makes them the team to watch and beat. 

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yep. I was reading about this last week and Suriname is allowing Dutch players with ties to South America to play, so this promises to be much tougher than would be otherwise.

I was reading that on TSN.

2 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Have a feeling France will win the Euros. Teams like Belgium, Spain, Portugal, England will be threats but Les Bleus are too deep. Mbappe is one of the world’s best, their midfield with Pogba, Kante and their defence with Varane, Pavard, Laporte makes them the team to watch and beat. 

Mbappé has been quite underwhelming in both preparation games, being too selfish and trying to do too much. It’s quite interesting how the offense has been much more open and dangerous when Coman, Dembele, Lemar, Ben Yedder and Giroud have been on the field (wow what a deep squad I’m so proud to be french!).

The midfield seems like their strongest point, Pogba and Kanté both looking like they’re ready for a monstrous tournament. Tolisso also looks like he hasn’t missed a beat after that nasty injury, and has been incredibly solid. Rabiot as a substitute screams incredible depth. 

and then you have Griezmann. The absolute heart and soul of the squad. I wouldn’t be surprised if he absolutely lit up another tournament. It’s in his blood. He just rises to the occasion time and time again. 

Just fyi, Laporte never really got a chance in the french squad (and when he did he had to forfeit because of injury), and has therefore chosen within his rights to play for the spanish team, for which he has been selected to participate in the Euro 2020. 

The french defense won’t be too upset, the starting 4 are incredibly solid and are all vets from the 2018 WC run. 

I’m personally so excited for this tournament! 

15 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Watched 10 minutes of the game.  No scoring when I watched but Canada dominated possession.

Canada was less than brilliant in the first 15 minutes.  But they got it together and Alphonso scored a goal in the first half.

The second half was dominated by Canada and Jonathon David with a hat trick (with two assists from Alphonso).

On to Haiti where, according to the announcers, it's been pouring rain for the last little while and should continue on Saturday, there's health concerns and political unrest.

I wonder if it might be best if the Canadian team simply stays in Miami and flies in for the game on Saturday.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

From the BCLC website:

image.png.9707545383cec678824c26761e4a93f2.png

North Macedonia at 501-1 is looking pretty tempting!