The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

21 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Canada beats Haiti 1-0 in the first leg of their two game total goal series.

Canada plays the next game on Tuesday at 5:30 at home.  In Chicago.

Should Canada win the series they will be in the final qualifying round for the World Cup for the first time since 1998.

Hopefully for once they will get ranked accordingly in the Men's Fifa World ranking. They are good enough to be a top 50's area soccer country in the world.

Yet they lag behind Iraq and Jamaica because of the ratings system.

If a tiny nation like Iceland can go it.

Canada has no excuses. They finally have some legit players like Alphonso Davies and Jonathan David who play for top teams in some of the best leagues in the world.

They also have Cyle Larin who plays in Turkey.

That is a great trio up front to build around.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Hopefully for once they will get ranked accordingly in the Men's Fifa World ranking. They are good enough to be a top 50's area soccer country in the world.

Yet they lag behind Iraq and Jamaica because of the ratings system.

If a tiny nation like Iceland can go it.

Canada has no excuses. They finally have some legit players like Alphonso Davies and Jonathan David who play for top teams in some of the best leagues in the world.

They also have Cyle Larin who plays in Turkey.

That is a great trio up front to build around.

You have to game the system slightly as a smaller nation, who you play and when it’s critical to ensure you are maximising your ranking points. The Swiss have a whole department dedicated to this and they take it seriously. 

breaking into the top 50 isn’t going to be easy as ahead of you, you have some decent teams, Costa Rica, Cameroon, Ivory Coast etc 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Sooo.....I'm watching Netherlands / Ukraine and it's nil-nil at the half....

I switch over to watch the Jays finish their demolition of the Red Sox and when I switch back it's 1-0 Holland. I take a short break to hang a shelf for my daughter and when I come back, it's 2-0, with 20 minutes left in regulation.....

I watch for 10 minutes and Ukraine scores twice to equalize....(their first might be the goal of the tournament so far) I think to myself, "Okay, I;m jinxing them"....and I go outside to do the weed whacking.

I just come back now and I see the Dutch scored in the 85th to win it...

Now I don't know if I can watch the next match....:unsure:

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Sooo.....I'm watching Netherlands / Ukraine and it's nil-nil at the half....

I switch over to watch the Jays finish their demolition of the Red Sox and when I switch back it's 1-0 Holland. I take a short break to hang a shelf for my daughter and when I come back, it's 2-0, with 20 minutes left in regulation.....

I watch for 10 minutes and Ukraine scores twice to equalize....(their first might be the goal of the tournament so far) I think to myself, "Okay, I;m jinxing them"....and I go outside to do the weed whacking.

I just come back now and I see the Dutch scored in the 85th to win it...

Now I don't know if I can watch the next match....:unsure:

The Dutch were all over the shop with defending, absolutely awful, albeit they looked half decent going forward, it’s going to be a rollercoaster of you follow them 

11 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

The Dutch were all over the shop with defending, absolutely awful, albeit they looked half decent going forward, it’s going to be a rollercoaster of you follow them 

Yeah....that was the book going in....van Dijk's injury puts them in a tough spot and it showed today....

15 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

You have to game the system slightly as a smaller nation, who you play and when it’s critical to ensure you are maximising your ranking points. The Swiss have a whole department dedicated to this and they take it seriously. 

breaking into the top 50 isn’t going to be easy as ahead of you, you have some decent teams, Costa Rica, Cameroon, Ivory Coast etc 

Haven't seen anybody discuss the ranking at length until this discussion here. It's nice as a rough estimate on the strength of teams. Otherwise I find it pretty useless.

1 hour ago, Lateralus91 said:

Haven't seen anybody discuss the ranking at length until this discussion here. It's nice as a rough estimate on the strength of teams. Otherwise I find it pretty useless.

It’s important once you crack the top tiers because it impacts seeding for qualification and major championships

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

He was closer to midfiield than he was the 18 yard box.......WTF was he doing?

Tbh keepers do come out and will play occasionally as a sweeper, or to avoid being caught short with a pass back, but he was to far forward 

1 hour ago, UKNuck96 said:

Tbh keepers do come out and will play occasionally as a sweeper, or to avoid being caught short with a pass back, but he was to far forward 

Maybe he was channeling his inner Alisson Becker....B)

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Disappointed that I can't watch Germany - France today....(%$#*@ work)

Going to go out on a limb and predict a 1-1 draw....

Luckily just got back and will be watching it (8pm) here.

with the traffic listened to the whole Portugal game on the radio, was such a good game 

1 minute ago, UKNuck96 said:

Luckily just got back and will be watching it (8pm) here.

with the traffic listened to the whole Portugal game on the radio, was such a good game 

I was surprised to see the final score....every time I checked in it was nil-nil.....then I look again and Portugal had scored three....:unsure:

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I was surprised to see the final score....every time I checked in it was nil-nil.....then I look again and Portugal had scored three....:unsure:

Hungary had a tight decision on an offside to rule out a goal (correctly) and then Portugal got one from a double deflection after that their will gave out 

1 minute ago, UKNuck96 said:

Hungary had a tight decision on an offside to rule out a goal (correctly) and then Portugal got one from a double deflection after that their will gave out 

Full disclosure: Portugal (along with Italy) is my least favorite international side, so the result is a bit disappointing....

...however, that disappointment is tempered somewhat by the thought of how much tougher it gets for them after this. :)