The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

32 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Full disclosure: Portugal (along with Italy) is my least favorite international side, so the result is a bit disappointing....

...however, that disappointment is tempered somewhat by the thought of how much tougher it gets for them after this. :)

They have a knack of grinding out wins when they need it. Last euros they benefited from the change in format to best 4 third place teams getting through, other years they would have been eliminated in the group stage. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

They have a knack of grinding out wins when they need it. Last euros they benefited from the change in format to best 4 third place teams getting through, other years they would have been eliminated in the group stage. 

The only things that made it bearable last time was the fact that pretty boy had nothing to do with the final win....

INTENSE game for France, they played to their strengths and their tactics were on point. 

Sure, it wasn’t pretty from an objective fan’s stand point, but as a frenchman, I am unbelievably proud of that squad. i would’ve liked more changes (Giroud and Coman for Mbappe and Benzema around the 70th), but clearly DD was weary of messing up the tactics in place, and it paid off. 

The germans will be very scary this tournament... teams better prepare for them! 

1 hour ago, BoKnows said:

Gotta feel bad for the Haiti goaltender especially since he shouldn't even have been playing.  Haiti was unable to play three or four of their starters, including their captain and main goaltender, due to some sort of visa problems.  I was glad Canada scored two more goals so this goal wasn't that important.

That being said, Canada won the game 3-0, 4-0 on aggregate and are in the final qualifying round for the World Cup!

Granted, playing against Mexico and the US will be different than playing Haiti and Suriname. But this team has potential.  Canada is in the final round with seven other teams.  They play fourteen games between September and February.  Top three teams get into the World Cup while the fourth place finisher has a last chance playoff possibility against some other team from another conference.

This should be fun!

• Cheers 1

On 6/16/2021 at 4:23 AM, BoKnows said:

Yes, an awful owngoal but normally defenders are taught that they are never allowed to pass the ball between the two posts so that they can avoid such mistakes. Reason also that the keeper went off to the right. Defender should've passed the ball to the right of the post.

Still a bad mishandling of the ball though...

On 6/15/2021 at 11:14 PM, HorvatToBaertschi said:

INTENSE game for France, they played to their strengths and their tactics were on point. 

Sure, it wasn’t pretty from an objective fan’s stand point, but as a frenchman, I am unbelievably proud of that squad. i would’ve liked more changes (Giroud and Coman for Mbappe and Benzema around the 70th), but clearly DD was weary of messing up the tactics in place, and it paid off. 

The germans will be very scary this tournament... teams better prepare for them! 

France plays a very good defensive game and then countering with Mbappe is incredible. Your best players were Kanté & Pogba. They played very well. I do wonder though how France will respond if they end up being behind. They got the quick owngoal now and closed shop basically. Granted they are very good at that.

Germany doesn't have a finisher unfortunately. They are strong but no one to finish the plays. I think they will go far but won't go the distance.

Will be an interesting tournament!

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Looking at the Sportsnet ticker, I see the Danes are up a goal against Belgium. Anyone watching?

First how Belgium woeful, second half the introduction of De Bruyne changed the game, that and him playing a false 9 and Lukaku moving to the wing meant that Kaer was taken out of the game, and he had Lukaku in his pocket until then. 

Masterful tactics from Martinez 

• Cheers 1

On 6/17/2021 at 10:56 AM, UKNuck96 said:

First how Belgium woeful, second half the introduction of De Bruyne changed the game, that and him playing a false 9 and Lukaku moving to the wing meant that Kaer was taken out of the game, and he had Lukaku in his pocket until then. 

Masterful tactics from Martinez 

Watched the replay last night. The finish by De Bruyne on the winner was brilliant, but for me, the way Lukaku managed to bring it out of the corner was what was most impressive.

Pretty fantastic ball movement after he did that, though....

Huge game by Hungary against the French!! Huge domination in the first half by the french, they got complacent and Hungary striked in extra time... France looked much more deadly in the 2nd half and scored off a bad play by the hungarian defense and tied it... \

The Mbappe Benzema Griezmann trio have been lacking offensively, Giroud needs a start alongside Griezmann and one of Benzema or Mbappé... they are doing too much but aren't putting sufficient pressure on opposing team's central defense... Expect a much more determined french squad wednesday against Portugal (and hopefully a couple tweaks in the lineup), and a fired up Hungarian squad who could potentially qualify with a win over Germany!!!

Honestly, so much respect for the Hungarian team, they played their hearts out. However, i'm ashamed of their fanbase for throwing bottles all over the pitch in the last 10 minutes. Classless.