The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

5 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

I'm cheering for England now that France is out. I'm curious though as to why Southgate isn't starting Sancho. Sure, Saka and Grealish are doing a splendid job but Sancho is a playmaker and can make things happen whenever he's out on the pitch. Oh well. Sterling and Kane have been well. Excited to see how deep this team can go

Edit: also, Sancho is a Red Devil. I've been waiting for it to happen for a while and it has finally been confirmed

The reason is because the Setup for England is defend first and clean sheets, using individual quality to get a moment to score.  In the World Cup although we got the semi final our defence was shakey and our defenders are not world class. By playing a tight team defence we keep the game tight.

I would imagine if we had to chase a game if we went behind Sancho would come on, offensively he is great but defensively he can leave holes behind him, whereas Sterling tracks back and helps out and Sako also does, as does mount and foden. 

• Cheers 1

Well this tournament has been turned on its head.

England and Spain have done much better than anyone would have thought thus far.

Italy is playing a tight structure game and it has helped them to this point.

However Belgium is 9ne of the few teams with quality that the Italians will find difficult to match provided KDB is back and match fit for tomorrow.

From a neutral and eyes on the game perspective a Belgium vs England final is hopefully on a collison course.

Hard for anybody to upset England, when there is not a team left on their side of the bracket to really challenge other than possibly Denmark...

Edited by Chip Kelly
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

England and Spain have done much better than anyone would have thought thus far.

However Belgium is 9ne of the few teams with quality that the Italians will find difficult to match provided KDB is back and match fit for tomorrow.

From a neutral and eyes on the game perspective a Belgium vs England final is hopefully on a collison course.

Hard for anybody to upset England, when there is not a team left 9n their side of the bracket to really challenge other than Spain.

Is the Final in England?  Would be very cool if it was England v Italy from Wembley.  The England v Germany game crowd was electric.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Is the Final in England?  Would be very cool if it was England v Italy from Wembley.  The England v Germany game crowd was electric.  

The final is in England ALF. 

Too bad there is no soccer today. South American or Euro.

A day off to watch some sports and nothing on.

For shame. FOR SHAME!

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Pulking for Belgium and the Danes(how could you not?)

Won't be able to watch the match will be around Little italy to see the vibe.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Chip Kelly said:

The final is in England ALF. 

Too bad there is no soccer today. South American or Euro.

A day off to watch some sports and nothing on.

For shame. FOR SHAME!

Baseball!  I actually enjoy baseball radio broadcasts.  Soccer is like that for me too.  Games that can be a bit boring to watch can be more exciting (for me anyway) on the radio.  I especially like the British soccer radio broadcasts.  

On 6/30/2021 at 7:22 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

That was the impression I got from watching the replay....

Forsberg got a bit of a break on his goal, but he was pretty unlucky from that point on....

I guess you only watched the second half of the game. Ukraine was a better team in the first half and had a well deserved lead. Swede’s goal was a deflection, otherwise the goalie would take it. And you are forgetting the Ukraine hit the post first, before Forsberg. And after the red card (which was well deserved), Ukraine slowly but surely took over the game without risking a counterattack. Perfectly executed game plan. We will surprise England in the quarterfinal. Glory to Ukraine!!!

On 6/30/2021 at 8:41 PM, Beary Sweet said:

I'm cheering for England now that France is out. I'm curious though as to why Southgate isn't starting Sancho. Sure, Saka and Grealish are doing a splendid job but Sancho is a playmaker and can make things happen whenever he's out on the pitch. Oh well. Sterling and Kane have been well. Excited to see how deep this team can go

Edit: also, Sancho is a Red Devil. I've been waiting for it to happen for a while and it has finally been confirmed

As a Dortmund supporter I'm glad the saga is finally over. I knew Twitter can be toxic and all but the Man Utd Twitter mob was something I've never seen. Ignorant, arrogant, oblivious, presumptuous are the nicer words I can find for that lot.

I wish Jadon all the best, he's been a heck of a player for us and he's grown a lot as a person. At the same time I can honestly say I've found a new club to hate and wish all the worst to Man Utd.

As far as replacements go it seems we are in for Donyell Malen and / or Noni Madueke from PSV. Malen would fit the Rose scheme of two strikers and is not a direct replacement for Sancho. Madueke would be more of a winger/dribbler type like Sancho. On the other hand we still have Reyna and Knauff on the wings who I expect to step up their game this year.

9 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Hard for anybody to upset England, when there is not a team left on their side of the bracket to really challenge other than possibly Denmark...

No one left to challenge? I guess we’ll see on Saturday, won’t we?

• Haha 1

Munich hosts the quarterfinal Belgium - Italy tonight.

Great weather conditions with about 25 degrees , blue sky and sunny. Lots of soccer fans from Belgium in the Munich City Centre enjoying the tasty munich beer.

Quarterfinal will be played in "Allianz Arena" (capacity : 75.024) the soccer stadium in the north of Munich located directly next to the highway ...

3668978_noscale_1wQ64R_dLNQSf.jpg

Penalties it is!

Not able to watch, but from following ESPN's Live Tracker, it looks like the entirety of extra time was spent in the Swiss end of the field.

Spaniards might be lamenting their lack of finish when all is said and done. I read an article earlier that suggested Spain isn't the best side from the spot....

1 minute ago, canuckster19 said:

Disappointing showing in the second half by the supposed top ranked team in the world. Spain-Italy, interesting matchup for sure.

Yeah, I was checking the live tracker periodically, hoping to see the Belgians tie it up....disappointing for sure....

Petey loves European football almost as much as hockey. Too bad Sweden is out. 

I think it will be Italy vs. England in the final. England will have home field advantage so they are the favourites. It could be a game for the ages. Wembley will be rocking. 

• Like 1