The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

Rate this topic

Scottish⑦Canuck

1 hour ago, Lil B From The Pack said:

E6WiP7PXIAMMEPl.jpg

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/12367954/raphael-varane-real-madrid-defender-bids-farewell-ahead-of-manchester-united-transfer

Prospective Manchester United signing Raphael Varane has looked ahead to "a new chapter" ahead of his transfer from Real Madrid.

The clubs have agreed a fee believed to be worth £41m including add-ons for the France defender, subject to a medical and player terms being finalised.

Varane, a 2018 World Cup winner, is set to join England winger Jadon Sancho, whose move from Borussia Dortmund for £73m was completed last week, in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's squad ahead of the new season.

***********************************************************************************************************************

Every now and then it's good to pause and realize how much money is involved here.   It's mind-boggling.

3 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/12367954/raphael-varane-real-madrid-defender-bids-farewell-ahead-of-manchester-united-transfer

Prospective Manchester United signing Raphael Varane has looked ahead to "a new chapter" ahead of his transfer from Real Madrid.

The clubs have agreed a fee believed to be worth £41m including add-ons for the France defender, subject to a medical and player terms being finalised.

Varane, a 2018 World Cup winner, is set to join England winger Jadon Sancho, whose move from Borussia Dortmund for £73m was completed last week, in Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's squad ahead of the new season.

***********************************************************************************************************************

Every now and then it's good to pause and realize how much money is involved here.   It's mind-boggling.

Varane is actually £35m. Sky Sports and other trash English media like to inflate number for any Utd transfer.

1 hour ago, Lil B From The Pack said:

Varane is actually £35m. Sky Sports and other trash English media like to inflate number for any Utd transfer.

35m now potential to be up to 41m if clauses are hit 

14 hours ago, Lil B From The Pack said:

Also that post was banter about how Arsenal paid £50m for Ben White and Utd got Varane for £35m lmao

I'm a casual EPL fan rather than a diehard so I'm unfamiliar with both White and Varane and didn't realize there was this comparison between them going on in the soccer world.  Which, after some googling, there apparently is.

So, as a fair-minded fan, I'll just hope both players prove to be worth their transfer fees.    ::D

57 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

I'm a casual EPL fan rather than a diehard so I'm unfamiliar with both White and Varane and didn't realize there was this comparison between them going on in the soccer world.  Which, after some googling, there apparently is.

So, as a fair-minded fan, I'll just hope both players prove to be worth their transfer fees.    ::D

White is good but I'm just surprised he went for £50m. The English tax is real.

Jack Grealish for example might go to City for £100m...

18 minutes ago, Lil B From The Pack said:

White is good but I'm just surprised he went for £50m. The English tax is real.

Jack Grealish for example might go to City for £100m...

Sorry, that phrase went over my head.

What does it mean?

English tax is that English players within the English  football system are often overpriced in comparison to a similar continental player. 

it’s party due to the homegrown rule, but it still existed before then, and partly because they are a known commodity. The premier league is played at far higher tempo than the Italian, french and Spanish leagues so just because a player is good in one of those leagues doesn’t mean they can adapt to the style of play in the premier league, hense the higher cost for players already within the league

• Thanks 1