The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

57 minutes ago, Mj2345 said:

How is La Liga? Just read that TSN got the rights starting this season which begins on August 13 same day as bundesliga and premier league get their seasons going

La Liga is exciting but it’s going to be very different without Ramos and the great Messi. My favourite team in Spain is Real Madrid. They’re pretty stacked and have talented, young players. Who’s your favourite?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

La Liga is exciting but it’s going to be very different without Ramos and the great Messi. My favourite team in Spain is Real Madrid. They’re pretty stacked and have talented, young players. Who’s your favourite?

I don’t have a favorite yet as i haven’t followed la liga much…I’m excited to watch though. Looks like Real Madrid is a super succesful club as they’ve won 34 league titles..

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Mj2345 said:

I don’t have a favorite yet as i haven’t followed la liga much…I’m excited to watch though. Looks like Real Madrid is a super succesful club as they’ve won 34 league titles..

If you haven’t got a Spanish team I would recommend at least watching a few Athletic Bilbao games. Whilst they are not Barcelona, Real Madrid or Athletico Madrid they have a good youth philosophy and they are a good team to watch. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Neymar   Messi   Mbappe

Oh my...

Champions League should be a walk in the park for PSG this year...

I don’t really know a lot about how those leagues work in Europe.  Will our guy (Davies) play against Messi’s new team?  

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don’t really know a lot about how those leagues work in Europe.  Will our guy (Davies) play against Messi’s new team?  

Alphonso Davies plays for Bayern Munich in Germany. So the only way he plays against Messi’s new team, the French club PSG, is if they match up together in the Champions League.

The Champions League is a separate competition from the leagues in each country. Only the top teams in each of the separate leagues of each country qualify for the Champions League. There is also the Europa League, which is also a separate competition. The teams that don’t qualify for the Champions League can qualify for the Europa League, which is a lower level tournament from the Champions League. 

The Champions and Europa League tournaments are basically a way for the top clubs to earn additional revenues. Last years winner of the Champions League, Chelsea from England, earned a total of over $95 million for participating and winning the Champions League. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Alphonso Davies plays for Bayern Munich in Germany. So the only way he plays against Messi’s new team, the French club PSG, is if they match up together in the Champions League.

The Champions League is a separate competition from the leagues in each country. Only the top teams in each of the separate leagues of each country qualify for the Champions League. There is also the Europa League, which is also a separate competition. The teams that don’t qualify for the Champions League can qualify for the Europa League, which is a lower level tournament from the Champions League. 

The Champions and Europa League tournaments are basically a way for the top clubs to earn additional revenues. Last years winner of the Champions League, Chelsea from England, earned a total of over $95 million for participating and winning the Champions League. 

Oh I see.  So is there another team in the French league that will be good competition for Messi’s team, or will they dominate until this Champion’s tournament thing?  

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Oh I see.  So is there another team in the French league that will be good competition for Messi’s team, or will they dominate until this Champion’s tournament thing?  

PSG didn't win the French league last year.  They lost to Lille by one point.  So they are spending money to get back to the top and moreso to win the big prize, which is the Champions League, which they have yet to win in their history.  They have won the French league in 7 of the last 9 years.  They have been dominant in France ever since they were purchased by the Sheikh of Qatar.  PSG are basically one the richest football clubs in the world, as they are literally owned by the ruler of another country.  Prior to being purchased by the Sheikh of Qatar, they only won the French league twice since 1932.

• Thanks 2

PSG are going to be scary good. They’ve won trophies in every competition except UCL. That’s what this team is after. A front line of Neymar Jr, Mbappe and Messi is going to be a defender’s nightmare. This is probably one of the best teams ever assembled in recent history

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

PSG are going to be scary good. They’ve won trophies in every competition except UCL. That’s what this team is after. A front line of Neymar Jr, Mbappe and Messi is going to be a defender’s nightmare. This is probably one of the best teams ever assembled in recent history

It is better than any of the Barca teams really.  You have Donnarumma in net, you got Ramos and Marquinhos in central defence, you have Verratti running the midfield, and you have the 3 superstars up front.  Plus a whole lot of good players on the bench.  Icardi is going to be a bench warmer.  Never seen a team this good before really.  It's like a Team Canada hockey team roster using all the Canadian teams best players.

• Cheers 1