The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

Pretty impressive showing by Newcastle today as well.....

I'm sure they're disappointed that they blew a 3-1 lead, but scoring 3 goals and getting a draw with City is nothing to sneeze at....especially for a team that finished middle of the table last season....

image.thumb.jpeg.3c8f09343099aa10bc16615ad2bea715.jpeg

The former Whitecap Alphonso Davies in traditional bavarian clothes with a big glass of dark white beer in his hand. He seems to be fascinated by the dark colour of this white beer.

The whole FC Bayern Munich football team dressed up for the upcoming famous Oktoberfest in Munich.

Personally I have 3 weeks off beginning with the first day of the Oktoberfest. Plenty of time to go to the Oktoberfest couple of days a week to enjoy the Munich fresh beer (love Paulaner, which is one of the oldest breweries in Munich, it was founded 1328) and some grilled fish.

• Cheers 3

I've been watching the documentary series "Welcome to Wrexham" on FX.

Wrexham is a small town in Wales.  Its football team (one of the oldest in Europe) has fallen on hard times and is in the lowest division of professional English football.  Two tv/movie stars, Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney, got together and bought the team with the hope of improving its fortunes.  And this documentary follows them in this project.

I'm enjoying it.  One of the best things about it is the focus on some of the Wrexham fans.  The series shows just how important a sports team can be to a community.

It's worth checking out.  The first several episodes have aired but FX regularly repeats them throughout the week. 

17 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

I've been watching the documentary series "Welcome to Wrexham" on FX.

Wrexham is a small town in Wales.  Its football team (one of the oldest in Europe) has fallen on hard times and is in the lowest division of professional English football.  Two tv/movie stars, Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney, got together and bought the team with the hope of improving its fortunes.  And this documentary follows them in this project.

I'm enjoying it.  One of the best things about it is the focus on some of the Wrexham fans.  The series shows just how important a sports team can be to a community.

It's worth checking out.  The first several episodes have aired but FX regularly repeats them throughout the week. 

Anyone ever seen The Damned United?

It's a fictional story about Brian Clough's time at Leeds (and his time at Derby County and Brighton prior to that). Martin Sheen, Timothy Spall (Wormtail from the Harry Potter movies) and Stephen Graham (Al Capone from Boardwalk Empire) are the stars......

Like I said, it's a fictional account of real life events, but I found it highly entertaining.

• Cheers 1

The winning streak had to end sometime, I suppose.  Too bad it was against Man U.

I thought from the get-go that Martinelli's goal was going to be disallowed.  That was pretty clear interference by Odegaard.

The worrisome thing is that four of the five Arsenal victories have come against teams that are currently in the bottom half of the table.  And the fifth team, Fulham, is in tenth.  So there are still questions about just how improved Arsenal really is.

Now it's off to Switzerland for their first Europa game against Zurich on Thursday and then back home for a game against Everton next Sunday.

359.png&h=40&w=40