The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL 13 Wishlist [updated]

Guest The Brown Burrows

Few minor changes EA should make, as they can't make a boatload for NHL 13 (less to change for NHL 14 then).

- BE A GM: needs to be deeper in general

- contract extensions - this is easy

- long shot, but perhaps a choice to tamper with an opposing teams player. The likelihood of tampering succeeding would be quite low. Easy to implement, but a dishonest mode to put into a game.

- Free Agency should not be so two dimensional. Any team can sign a player now as long as they have the money. Use the weather as a reason why a player doesn't want to play in certain cities, hot or cold. If a player doesn't like the spotlight, that should be indicated when you try and sign him and he declines. Also, it would be interesting if a player agent came up to you in the off season and asked if you would be interested in signing his client.

- as people have already said, the option to build new arenas. Not only this, but update your current rink with new features. the option to build bigger or smaller arenas to reflect the market that you are in. With this, if you go to a rebuilding franchise or your team is on a consistent losing streak (multiple poor seasons), the attendance should reflect this when you are playing (empty buildings).

- no trade clauses, no movement clauses: this should be very easy to implement

- training camp

- you have the choice of what jersey to retire and when

- players requesting trades. have this be deep as well. If a player has a no trade clause or movement clause, scratching him for multiple games may force player to give you a list of teams.

- with scratching players, if you are not getting production out of some players, scratching them may have a positive, negative, or neutral effective on their play and feeling towards your club. perhaps this is determined by a new attribute system, or it is reflected in the players determination. Edit: Also, this could potentially have an adverse effect on your franchise. If this is done too much, perhaps players won't want to play for your franhcise when free agency roles around.

- hire/fire coaches. this should be really easy. some coaches are fun to play for, some are more strict.

All in all, the BAGM mode needs to be a deeper.

In game itself:

- hipchecks. WTF?

- Jerseys pulled over heads in fights would be cool.

- Fix the hipcheck. I saw a guy go flying from his skate blade hitting a hipchecker's skate blade. The hipcheck also shouldn't work against someone who is stationary - it only works in real life if your target has speed, and actually HITS your HIP!

- As a 6'7", 240 lb tough guy with 90+ strength and body checking, if I take a run at a 5'8, 170 lb sniper and hit him squarely, there's no way in hell that he should be able to bounce off of that. I don't care what kind of Legend he is.

• 2 months later...

Some realistic idea's...

-Realistic trade values/trade proposals

-Ability to trade in between picks at the draft

-Realistic potential's of drafted players, I understand some players are bust's, but when I look at other teams rosters after the draft and the top 10 picks are usually B-,C,B- for example, isnt very realistic. I think there should be a franchise player every draft, look at the pasts draft's, RNH, Hall & Seguin, Tavares & Hedman, Stamkos & Doughty, Kane & JVR, etc.

-On the topic of drafts, maybe give a detailed scouting report of players that you've scouted, example, "x player is considered one of the best snipers of the draft, although his skating and size are an issue. He is projected as a 2nd line RW. Attitude has been rumoured as an issue so he could fall from his projected 6th overall"

-Player morales, as I mentioned just now with attitude being an issue with "x" player at the draft. I think they used to have it? NHL 07 or earlier, maybe have a rare case of a player being unhappy and requesting a trade? You have 2 weeks to ship him out and if a deal can't be hammered out, it becomes public and his trade value goes down because team's know he's getting traded anyways, example, the Heatley situation.

-Presenation, maybe have an animated character standing outside the dressing room in between periods interview players, or have two characters sitting in a press box talking about the game, players on the trade block, and why X player should get looked at by X team coming up to the trade deadline, etc. I dont mean them talking, but maybe have the sub titles across the bottom of the screen, like the old school WWF games lol, its a start, and can be imroved upon each year in till they can have them talking and answering questions, this isnt a big one but I'm sure a lot of people would be happy with it.

-This is a must, and I know it was worked on, NO MORE $11.2M/YEAR for a player who just put up 60 points the previous season. It angers me when I put time and effort into players, thinking their going to be realistic in asking for an extension, only to get to before July 1st and see their asking for 2-3M a year more then what their worth, and loosing them for nothing instead of receiving assets at the deadline. Also, ADD EXTENSIONS DURING THE YEAR/OFF SEASON BEFORE THEIR CONTRACT IS UP, how hard can it be?!

-Hire/Fire coaches, have created coaches waiting to be signed, so you dont run out of coaches 15 seasons into your Be a GM.

-Suspensions, you might not agree with them sometimes, but thats the case in real life too. This is a must IMO, what I usually do is if I hit someone from behind and get ejected, I watch the replay and determine if its suspendable, if it is I scratch that player for 1 or 2 games, whichever I think is fair.

Sorry for the long list, I doubt many of you will actually read all this, but I think these could be some solid additions to the game and make it more real. We dont care about old timers coming into the game EA Sports, improve what you've got, make it more realistic.

Fix the screen the goalie update they did for nhl 12. I find in single player my team always gets tied up with the D men and I shoot at the net but it gets hit. For eshl prevent glitch shots, make the computer D better at defense, and make the replays inbetween periods shorter or gone. I found in nhl 11 it was always skipped but in nhl 12 for some stupid reason they always watch it wasting like 2 minutes.

Trade rights of players. If I don't have the cap space, I shouldn't lose Zach Parise for nothing.

No guarantee that a player will re-sign, some may want to go to FA, or not re-sign with a failing team.

Ability to ask about a player, ie: What would it take to make a trade for Claude Giroux, and then the AI comes up with a deal, or just say that the player is untouchable.

EHM's trading system. If the other GM says no to a deal, they often come back with a counter offer.

Redevelop trade values. Should be a formula that values potential and performance over their overall rating. Getting a top prospect for a depth defenseman is totally bananas.

Not be docked for simming games in Be a Pro. 82 games is a lot. I will never play nearly that many. Especially when your ELC is 3 years. I have never made it to the end of my ELC.

All Star Game Skills Competition

Winter Classic every year with different teams. Don't worry about realism here. Let Tampa Bay host Florida, just so that everyone has a chance to play in one.

NHL Premiere games in European arenas, will be selected by the amount of Euro players on your roster and your overall standing.

Realistic Stanley Cup presentation. What is with that video on the ice? Have media and families there too. Healthy scratches in suits. Be able to design your GM's face and have them on the ice in the team picture and being interviewed.

Fix the injuries. Please.

Goalie fatigue. I shouldn't be able to play my starter 82 games and have them win the Vezina and have the best GAA and SV% in the league.

Request trades in Be a Pro.

Improve AI for coaches. No more prospects on the 4th line or healthy scratches for an entire season.

That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure there's a lot more.

The two things I hate about online is when I'm skating through the slot or the top of the circle my pro gets locked onto by a defenseman and it just drains my energy. Also, when you play goalie online after your hugging the post I find it to be really slow coming off the post.

Archived