The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Goalie Masks(Which ones are your faves?)

Sugar baby watermelon

Throwing a bunch of logos and masks on a mask is not a concept. You can still pay reverence to the past with out throwing everything and the kitchen sink onto a canvas like a mask.

It become more apparent that mask artists are exactly just that. There is more attention spent on how detailed the art work is with less attention spent in developing a concept that is unified clear. Regardless of your opinion of the players Curtis Joseph's mask, Felix Potvin, Corey HIrsch are good examples of goalie masks that communicate an idea or personality with out resorting to simply applying logos and masks.

Imagine Scheider's but this time replace the Canucks logos and mask and replace them with logos from multinational companies. The logos themselves look good but laid out/overlapped like they are on Corey's mask it looks like they were applied with a logo shotgun.

What could have been explored in the historical aspect was the textures and interesting tidbits about those eras and goalies that would trigger that connection to that time or goalie. The antique pattern on Corey's mask is nice but it the homage aspect stopped there and then it just became a painting of logo on a mask, painted on a mask.

post-84750-0-53549200-1317571539_thumb.p

post-84750-0-53549200-1317571539_thumb.p

• 1 year later...

I wanna see a new look on Lu's mask. I guess I'm in the minority, but I think the bone-white masks were brilliant in their simplicity. That being said, it's a new year, and a new situation for him and I think it'll transfer onto his mask art. He takes his paint jobs pretty seriously.

Schneids' mask last year was great. I agree with Hirsch's too, although I completely forgot about it until I read this thread just now.

I wanna see a new look on Lu's mask. I guess I'm in the minority, but I think the bone-white masks were brilliant in their simplicity. That being said, it's a new year, and a new situation for him and I think it'll transfer onto his mask art. He takes his paint jobs pretty seriously.

Schneids' mask last year was great. I agree with Hirsch's too, although I completely forgot about it until I read this thread just now.

Archived