The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Occupy Wall Street

Navyblue

From my observation of the Occupy protests in the US, I'm yet to see peace being broken by the protesters. Unless protesting and chanting is considered a breach of peace.

As I said, the "peace" officers are the only ones actually breaching the peace, and doing it with full impunity. You're more aware than anyone the paid vacation punishments the police face in North America. Slaps on the wrist for what they deem "justifiable" homicide. Keeping jobs after being convicted of lesser crimes.

The police should be held to a higher standard than citizens and be held accountable. Neither have been the case in the US.

As for the charges they may face, tell me who will face charges when they are all in generic riot gear. You state how things should be, from my point of view, I state how things actually are.

I don't put much stock in what you say. Not since you called the protesters rioters 8 days before they first protested in Vancouver.

When you can point me to police arresting the corrupt ones, maybe I'll think about reviewing my opinion. Until then, the good cops who say nothing are as bad as the cops who extort, falsify evidence, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseam.

I don't believe he meant to paint all the police officers in that light, as he had given specific instances and examples of the officers and their actions. There's nothing false about coating those officers in the cases he's presented in a negative light, whether you approve of it or not. I'm sure if you pointedly asked him about his attitudes about all police officers, his attitudes would be varied, including positivity in certain cases along with vitriolic in others. Don't paint him with the same brush that you're assumptively calling him out for wielding.

It's a bit sad that the thread here is so much about judicial details and whether or not the police are violent offenders (84 year old Seattle granny says hi). The protests have really inspired me and a lot of other people over here in Europe and I'm thankful, yes more than thankful for the thing that OWS started! I tried to join the local "Occupy" here in my hometown, but sadly they were just a bunch of unpolitical, aging hippies who didn't even know what kind of message they wanted to transport. So, all I can do is root for the occupiers in NYC, Oakland and other places (including Frankfurt, the only city in Germany that has a substantial "Occupy" movement) and hope that their message can get through without being smeared and distorted by mainstream media and corrupt politicians. In an age in which Goldman Sachs is putting its people into leading roles of government (including the new Italian Prime Minister), I have to believe in the force of the people united in anger. A German political blogger brought into my attention this piece by Olbermann which I deem brilliant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iNmMPVP49I

The cops in the above video, the ones asking people for papers and refusing anyone without a corporate ID indicating they work in the neighborhood through, they are pigs. If you think I should respect them for following orders, you're saying I should not respect the citizens' freedoms.

I'm pro freedom, not anti-police. I'm all for a police force to keep us safe. I'm all against police abusing people fighting for their freedom. The reason I seem anti-police, is because the police tree is rotten from the roots to the last leaf.

What saddens me is that there's all this resistance to the protesters, but nobody is making a peep about the Congressional insider trading that was recently exposed. The single conviction from the many who caused global financial collapse. The Swiss whistle blower going to prison for 3 years, while the guy in charge golfed with Obama, and the people evading taxes paying relatively minor fines. It's as if it's acceptable to commit crime, as long as you're rich and powerful...

Want to talk about laws in the US and whether they should be obeyed? Why are crack and cocaine viewed differently by the law? Nobody in power gives a sh!t about the people, and when the people try to stand up for themselves, the hacks come out of the woodworks in droves to call them rioters, scum, sh!t, and any number of words that more accurately describe the people in power making laws. Status quo, it's great so long as these hacks aren't inconvenienced.

/My waste of breath.

What saddens me is that there's all this resistance to the protesters, but nobody is making a peep about the Congressional insider trading that was recently exposed. The single conviction from the many who caused global financial collapse. The Swiss whistle blower going to prison for 3 years, while the guy in charge golfed with Obama, and the people evading taxes paying relatively minor fines. It's as if it's acceptable to commit crime, as long as you're rich and powerful...

Want to talk about laws in the US and whether they should be obeyed? Why are crack and cocaine viewed differently by the law? Nobody in power gives a sh!t about the people, and when the people try to stand up for themselves, the hacks come out of the woodworks in droves to call them rioters, scum, sh!t, and any number of words that more accurately describe the people in power making laws. Status quo, it's great so long as these hacks aren't inconvenienced.

/My waste of breath.

Archived