The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Occupy Wall Street

Navyblue

Who in their right mind would fight for a society that forces fathers to work 70+hrs a week to support their families while they suffer from cancer? That's the "American Dream"? What is wrong with these people?!?

Time to do away with the Protestant work ethic mythology people. We are all human-beings, and it's time we are allowed to live like it. I am not talking about living in luxury. I am talking about dignity and agency.

A man who has cancer should not be put in a position whereby he has to choose between his own life and that of his family's. A person should not be forced to seek work that requires them to perform mind-numbing tasks over and over all day long just so they can reproduce their meager existence. This is not work ethic, this is desperation and dehumanization.

Who in their right mind would fight for a society that forces fathers to work 70+hrs a week to support their families while they suffer from cancer? That's the "American Dream"? What is wrong with these people?!?

Time to do away with the Protestant work ethic mythology people. We are all human-beings, and it's time we are allowed to live like it. I am not talking about living in luxury. I am talking about dignity and agency.

A man who has cancer should not be put in a position whereby he has to choose between his own life and that of his family's. A person should not be forced to seek work that requires them to perform mind-numbing tasks over and over all day long just so they can reproduce their meager existence. This is not work ethic, this is desperation and dehumanization.

Q1. TO START WITH, DO YOU FEEL THINGS IN THIS COUNTRY ARE GENERALLY GOING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION OR DO YOU FEEL THINGS HAVE PRETTY SERIOUSLY GOTTEN OFF ON THE WRONG TRACK?

RIGHT DIRECTION 14%

WRONG TRACK 81%

NO ANSWER/DON’T KNOW 5%

Q11. IN THE PAST FEW DAYS, A GROUP OF PROTESTORS HAS BEEN GATHERING ON WALL STREET IN NEW YORK CITY AND SOME OTHER CITIES TO PROTEST POLICIES WHICH THEY SAY FAVOR THE RICH, THE GOVERNMENT’S BANK BAILOUT, AND THE INFLUENCE OF MONEY IN OUR POLITICAL SYSTEM. IS YOUR OPINION OF THESE PROTESTS VERY FAVORABLE, SOMEWHAT FAVORABLE, SOMEWHAT UNFAVORABLE, VERY UNFAVORABLE, OR DON’T YOU KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT THE PROTESTS TO HAVE AN OPINION?

VERY FAVORABLE 25%

SOMEWHAT FAVORABLE 29%

SOMEWHAT UNFAVORABLE 10%

VERY UNFAVORABLE 13%

DON’T KNOW ENOUGH 23%

NO ANSWER/DON’T KNOW 1%

Q12. DO YOU AGREE OR DISAGREE WITH THAT POSITION?

A. WALL STREET AND ITS LOBBYISTS HAVE TOO MUCH INFLUENCE IN WASHINGTON

BASE: FAMILIAR WITH PROTESTS (787)

AGREE 86%

DISAGREE 11%

NO ANSWER/DON’T KNOW 4%

B. THE GAP BETWEEN RICH AND POOR IN THE UNITED STATES HAS GROWN TOO LARGE

AGREE 79%

DISAGREE 17%

NO ANSWER/DON’T KNOW 3%

C. EXECUTIVES OF FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE FINANCIAL MELTDOWN IN 2008 SHOULD BE PROSECUTED

AGREE 71%

DISAGREE 23%

NO ANSWER/DON’T KNOW 6%

D. THE RICH SHOULD PAY MORE TAXES

AGREE 68%

DISAGREE 28%

NO ANSWER/DON’T KNOW 4%

Q12A. IN YOUR VIEW, WILL THIS PROTEST MOVEMENT HAVE A POSITIVE IMPACT ON AMERICAN POLITICS TODAY, A NEGATIVE IMPACT, OR WILL IT HAVE LITTLE IMPACT ON AMERICAN POLITICS TODAY?

POSITIVE IMPACT 30%

NEGATIVE IMPACT 9%

LITTLE IMPACT 56%

NO ANSWER/DON’T KNOW 6%

http://swampland.time.com/full-results-of-oct-9-10-2011-time-poll/

:picard: I was mocking the people who post that picture on a regular basis around here. The people who dismiss the idea of a "big club" and "the owners"

If you've read any of the threads I have started, where I post a story or idea just to have that picture posted and the hoards of big brother loving CDC regs follow with ridicule, you'd get it. (in fact I started this thread. That may give you some kind of idea where that puts me)

I'm sorry okay, no more sarcasm, no more irony. I promise!

Archived