The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

- Injuries & Ice Chips Thread - 2011 / 2012 Playoffs R1

The Hornet

Ballard would be allowed a conditioning stint if needed, just like with Salo last year. I have a feeling they won't do so though, with all our depth he can just get in a lesser game near the end of the season if he's ready.

It does bring up a good point though, where we'll see if he makes a 'miraculous recovery for his upper salary injury' as some have suggested. We didn't need $4.2M in LTI so we might be able to get away with using LTI for Ebbett, Volpatti and Pinizzotto as needed.

Ballard will have to be on there for the minimum 10 games and 24 day, but he can come back whenever he's healthy after that point. If we would be over the cap when he came back, we'd have to make other moves to give us enough room to activate him. That could be demoting someone, or moving someone else to LTI. Trades are also a possibility in general but that wouldn't help after the deadline.

Looking at CapGeek, we're only about $700K over the cap, using some LTI to cover that. We have 26 players on the roster (Pinizzotto isn't since he hasn't played in the regular season so I'm not sure if he'd be able to be put on LTI) including Ballard, Volpatti and Ebbett. I believe only Ballard is on LTI, the others are just on IR.

What that means is if we activate Ballard we'll have to move someone else off the roster, like Tanev whose $900K in cap hit would cover the difference. If we move someone else and that person's salary isn't enough to get us below the cap, we could put one of Volpatti or Ebbett onto LTI and be ok. That all assumes Ballard will be back even though they've said he won't be until playoffs, and that the numbers on CapGeek are accurate.

Hey Captain Hindsight, I love your name, reminded me of a girlfriend I had. I named her Captain Conclusion because of her jumping to conclusions with out all the facts and insecurities. I'm not inferring you're like that at all, it's just your name reminded of her and I'm still laughing. Nothing like an unexpected gut laugh:)

A lot of Cancuks fans could use the handle of Captain Conclusion too.

Archived