The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks might miss the playoffs this year!

gradin123

Where will the Canucks Finish?  

257 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know I am going to get flamed. I know people are going to say I'm nuts but I honestly think the Canucks as a organization are closer right now to being a team that routinely misses the playoffs than they are as threats to win the Stanley Cup again. They will be pretty good for the next 2-3 years but after that it looks pretty ugly.

I don't think we will miss the playoffs. But I could easily see the nucks being 5th-7th place. Unless we get someone in the lineup who can stand up for the team we will not get respect by any other teams or even the refs, and that is why I don't think we are a top 3 team. Top teams to watch out for in the playoffs in the west this year- San Jose, LA, Detroit and Anaheim, maybe even Edmonton at the end if they get a nhl worthy d-man and a top 6 player. Teams that will be scary in the East- Buffalo, Washington, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. Our record so far this year is 1-3-1 against those teams.

I think the goaltending situation is unfixable due to some early bad choices..

Luongo should have been played in pre-season,. and every game until he reached closer to what he had last year. This Schneider /Luongo tandem has basically prevented Luongo from getting his game, and also brough so much negative attention that I doubt he WILL shake off the rust.

Schneider looks good when Luo looks bad, but really,. his perfomance is average. He gets too look like a hero often enough, and his saves are flashy enough.. but he is not a cup-worthy goaltender.

So in short.. Luongo playing his A game is the only way we get a cup,. and frankly, his mismanagement and the crazy pressure created by the "fans" leaves the chances of him getting back to where he was pretty low

I don't think we will miss the playoffs. But I could easily see the nucks being 5th-7th place. Unless we get someone in the lineup who can stand up for the team we will not get respect by any other teams or even the refs, and that is why I don't think we are a top 3 team. Top teams to watch out for in the playoffs in the west this year- San Jose, LA, Detroit and Anaheim, maybe even Edmonton at the end if they get a nhl worthy d-man and a top 6 player. Teams that will be scary in the East- Buffalo, Washington, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. Our record so far this year is 1-3-1 against those teams.

Well.... although anything can happen in sports it's pretty unlikely. We should be good this year, and good next year.

we're only about 12% done the season.. I think if the Canucks don't make the playoffs it's a pretty legendary collapse given the offseason. This team looks better on paper then last years. Next year we have all of the key guys locked up again.

I think we will easily win the NW again this year, and we might have the points of a 5th place team... but the rest of the NW is bad.

The team he missed from the West is Chicago. In my books they are the team to beat in the West this year. Pittsburgh(if Crosby gets back and stays healthy) and Washington in the East.

The Canucks very well could win the Northwest because it is still a rather weak division but don't be surprised if it turns out this young Oilers team is for real and continues to play well.

The poster is just pointing out that if this continues, we could miss the playoffs. If we are 5 pts out of first in our division and 7 pts out of first in the league, at that rate we would be 41 pts out of first in our division and 57 pts out of first in the league.

I think you were an opportunist because you saw a chance to belittle someone else's viewpoint. Tell me does it make you feel superior when you do that? Lighten up and allow the poster a chance to state his views and if you disagree at least show some class and respond respectfully.

The Oilers beat the Caps tonight. The Oilers may not win the Northwest Division this year but that team is coming on fast. They have tons of cap room and can add all kinds of players if they choose to. I think it won't be long at all until the Oilers will be the favorites to win the Division for many years to come. Looks to me like they very well may be a playoff team this year and might very well be buyers at the deadline. The ascent to the top can be quick. The Blackhawks went from missing the playoffs one year to losing in the Western Conference Final the next and winning the Stanley Cup the year after that.

Making the Stanley Cup Finals last year doesn't guarantee the Canucks will even make the playoffs this year and if you don't think so just think back to the Blackhawks of last year who very nearly missed one year after winning the Stanley Cup. The Western Conference is very competitive and it took 97 points last year just to make the playoffs, Dallas missed with 95 points and it looks like the West will be just as competitive this year. The line between going from very good to just pretty good is very thin. Like losing Ehrhoff and replacing him with no one thin. Like not playing anyone in the preseason and coming into the season sluggish thin. Like still being fatigued from the long Stanley Cup run of last year thin. Like the Sedins level of play dropping slightly because they have peaked as players thin. Like having very little young talent in the minors thin.

Last year the Canucks were a team largely driven by playing in a very weak division and having great special teams. The Power Play last year was lights out and really carried them, the loss of Ehrhoff is really hurting them here. Gillis erred not by letting Ehrhoff go, because he simply was overpaid by Buffalo, no Gillis erred in thinking the Canucks could replace Ehrhoff from players already with the team. The problem is no one other than Salo, who we all know is going to get hurt at some point, is at all capable of replacing Ehrhoff on the Power Play. Will the Canucks trade for a defenseman who can play the Power play? Honestly they aren't easy to find.(Although I think they should give the Flames a call about Anton Babchuk who is in Sutters doghouse).

The window on the Canucks is closing fast. The Sedins may very well be on the decline now and the young talent in this organization is very poor. The decline of this team may come way faster than most could fathom. At the end of last year Gillis seemed to suggest that the Status Quo was good enough and I knew at the time that was a very bad line to take. A team can never be content, they always have to strive to improve even if they win the Cup. Gillis has always been overrated as a GM and the fact he won executive of the year last season was a joke. Let's face it the players that drove the Canucks last year were almost all leftovers from the previous regimes. I have little faith Gillis can turn this around but honestly given the mess the Canucks are in looking at the longterm picture I don't know if anyone could turn it around. Who are the elite players that are going to replace the Sedins? There are no young players in the Canucks organization at all who have any chance of becoming elite NHL stars. Three years from now I have no doubt the Oilers will be way better than the Canucks.

I know I am going to get flamed. I know people are going to say I'm nuts but I honestly think the Canucks as a organization are closer right now to being a team that routinely misses the playoffs than they are as threats to win the Stanley Cup again. They will be pretty good for the next 2-3 years but after that it looks pretty ugly.

<br />The Oilers beat the Caps tonight. The Oilers may not win the Northwest Division this year but that team is coming on fast. They have tons of cap room and can add all kinds of players if they choose to. I think  it won't be long at all until the Oilers will be the favorites to win the Division for many years to come. Looks to me like they very well may be a playoff team this year and might very well be buyers at the deadline. The ascent to the top can be quick. The Blackhawks went from missing the playoffs one year to losing in the Western Conference Final the next and winning the Stanley Cup the year after that.<br />

Archived