The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

anyone see the documentary 'Catching Hell'

Sugar baby watermelon

anyone manage to catch this on TSN HD on the 10th.... it is about Steve Bartman, the Chicago Cubs fan, who caught a ball, (in play??) during game 6 of the NLCS & how he became vilified by Cubs fans & the media, it became a sensation almost immediately. Moises Alou, who played for the Cubs was going up for a catch, the ball looked to be a foul ball, but the wind? carried it back into play? Alou thought he had it but the fine line between the fans & the players is razor thin, a bunch of people reached for the ball, Bartman was one of them & it bounced off his hands & out of play. He was signaled out by the fans & media right away & the crowd turned ugly, real ugly, because apparently there is a 'Cubs Curse'.

I remember seeing these highlights as a kid, but did not pay attention to how deep this action went & the results of what happened. This kid handled himself very, very well in this ugly situation & the fans & media did not.

Catching Hell is on again on Nov. 13 on TSN HD @ 6AM. Catch it if you can, its brilliant.

anyone manage to catch this on TSN HD on the 10th.... it is about Steve Bartman, the Chicago Cubs fan, who caught a ball, (in play??) during game 6 of the NLCS & how he became vilified by Cubs fans & the media, it became a sensation almost immediately. Moises Alou, who played for the Cubs was going up for a catch, the ball looked to be a foul ball, but the wind? carried it back into play? Alou thought he had it but the fine line between the fans & the players is razor thin, a bunch of people reached for the ball, Bartman was one of them & it bounced off his hands & out of play. He was signaled out by the fans & media right away & the crowd turned ugly, real ugly, because apparently there is a 'Cubs Curse'.

I remember seeing these highlights as a kid, but did not pay attention to how deep this action went & the results of what happened. This kid handled himself very, very well in this ugly situation & the fans & media did not.

Catching Hell is on again on Nov. 13 on TSN HD @ 6AM. Catch it if you can, its brilliant.

Great documentary.

I remember watching that game, and being stunned at the time, but you have to feel bad for the guy. He made a dumb move, but many people would have done the same thing. The Cubs still had a chance to win, but blew it. He ended up being the scapegoat in a sports obsessed city.

• 1 year later...

I've seen some of this but I need to watch it all sometime. The way they treated the guy was terrible. A baseball coming flying at you can do major damage and a fan should have the right to protect themselves by catching it if they choose. Of course with that comes the fact that the fan may not do things exactly right when trying to get it and to expect them to be perfect is ridiculous. MLB players that are the most skilled in the world and spend their whole lives playing baseball still make bad mistakes, so fans without near the skill or training obviously will be much worse.

I'm surprised he's stayed out of the public spotlight all these years.

Archived