The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NCAA football

Gretzky's Mullet

On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:41 PM, ReggieBush said:

I mean not if you're at Ohio State

cardale-jones.png

So did he purposely misspell his name in his twitter handle or.....  Did he dog gone not do a gooded job on the learns

NEW YORK — Lamar Jackson was trying to remember the last time he cried. He was pretty sure it involved losing a little league football game.

On Saturday night, Louisville's spectacular sophomore quarterback found out winning can get a guy choked up, too.

Jackson became the first Louisville player to win the Heisman Trophy, beating out preseason favourite Deshaun Watson of Clemson despite some late-season struggles.

Watson, who finished third last season, was a distant second. Baker Mayfield finished third and Oklahoma teammate and fellow finalist Dede Westbrook was fourth. Michigan's Jabrill Peppers was fifth.

I was pissed Browning wasn't even a finalist..playing in the PAC12 has its drawbacks.

Edited by ShakyWalton

22 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

NEW YORK — Lamar Jackson was trying to remember the last time he cried. He was pretty sure it involved losing a little league football game.

On Saturday night, Louisville's spectacular sophomore quarterback found out winning can get a guy choked up, too.

Jackson became the first Louisville player to win the Heisman Trophy, beating out preseason favourite Deshaun Watson of Clemson despite some late-season struggles.

Watson, who finished third last season, was a distant second. Baker Mayfield finished third and Oklahoma teammate and fellow finalist Dede Westbrook was fourth. Michigan's Jabrill Peppers was fifth.

I was pissed Browning wasn't even a finalist..playing in the PAC12 has its drawbacks.

The fact that Baker and Jabrill were among the finalists is ridiculous. I agree that Browing should have been there and the last spot could have been either Jonathan Allen or Adoree

• Upvote 1

Gators:towel: 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000756305/article/top-five-2016-rookie-classes-by-school-ohio-state-no-1

As the regular season winds down, I thought it would be a good time to take a big-picture look at the 2016 NFL Draft class. We've seen several rookies make an immediate impact for their teams, and a good number of them arrived via Columbus, Ohio. Everyone in the football world would agree the Buckeyes produced the most talent in the 2016 draft class. Who's next on the list? I've ranked my top five 2016 draft classes by school:

1. Ohio State

Rookies: Joey Bosa (pick No. 3 overall), Ezekiel Elliott (No. 4), Eli Apple (No. 10), Taylor Decker (No. 16), Darron Lee (No. 20), Michael Thomas (No. 47), Vonn Bell (No. 61), Adolphus Washington (No. 80), Braxton Miller (No. 85), Nick Vannett (No. 94), Joshua Perry (No. 102), Cardale Jones (No. 139), Jalin Marshall (undrafted), Tyvis Powell (undrafted).
Skinny: The Buckeyes were the easy choice for No. 1 on this list. They produced 12 draft picks and most of them are already playing at a high level.

Bosa missed the early portion of the season, but he's been nearly unblockable since he entered the lineup. He's second among all rookies with 6.5 sacks. Elliott has been even more impressive. He leads the league in rushing and is in the discussion for league MVP. Apple has settled in and is a key contributor in the Giants secondary, while Decker has started every game at left tackle for the Lions. Lee has been inconsistent for the Jets, but he's made some plays for a struggling team. Thomas has been the most effective rookie pass-catcher in the league and quickly earned the trust of future Hall of Famer Drew Brees. Bell and Washington have been steady in their rookie campaigns for the Saints and Bills, respectively.

Miller has flashed for the Texans and Vannett has started a couple games for the Seahawks. Perry is a backup for the Chargers, but he's played in 12 games. Jones is the only member of the OSU draft class who hasn't seen the field this fall. He did show some positive signs in the preseason and looks like a long-term backup QB, at worst. That is one heck of a draft class, Plus Marshall has become a contributor for the Jets, and Powell has played in 8 games for the Seahawks.

2. Florida

Rookies: Vernon Hargreaves (No. 11), Keanu Neal (No. 17), Jonathan Bullard (No. 72), Antonio Morrison (No. 125), Demarcus Robinson (No. 126), Kelvin Taylor (No. 211), Alex McCalister (No. 240), Brian Poole (undrafted).
Skinny: There were 7 gators selected in the 2016 NFL Draft and 2 of them have quickly emerged as big-time players. Hargreaves has started every game at cornerback for the Bucs and he's a reason for their defensive turnaround this fall. He has only one interception, but he has been very reliable in coverage and aggressive in run support. Neal has been outstanding for the Falcons and belongs in the discussion for Defensive Rookie of the Year. He leads all rookies with 87 tackles and he's also forced four fumbles. Morrison and Bullard have flashed on occasion and both look like future starters for their respective teams.

3. Mississippi State

Rookies: Chris Jones (No. 37), Will Redmond (No. 68), Dak Prescott (No. 135).
Skinny: The Bulldogs had just three players selected in the draft, but two of the three have been stellar performers this fall. Prescott is the front-runner for Rookie of the Year, and he's also in the MVP discussion because of his consistent play this fall. Jones hasn't been ultra productive, but he's a very disruptive presence for the Chiefs defensive front. He's started 8 games this fall and provided a lot of pressure on opposing quarterbacks.

4. Notre Dame

Rookies: Ronnie Stanley (No. 6), Will Fuller (No. 21), Jaylon Smith (No. 34), Nick Martin (No. 50), KeiVarae Russell (No. 74), C.J. Prosise (No. 90), Sheldon Day (No. 103), Matthias Farley (undrafted), Romeo Okwara (undrafted).
Skinny: Smith was set to be the headliner of the Notre Dame draft class before he suffered an injury in his last college game (the Fiesta Bowl vs. Ohio State). He ended up sliding to the second round and he won't see the field this fall. However, several of his teammates have made an impact for their teams. Stanley has been a steady presence at left tackle for the Ravens, while Fuller has provided some explosive plays for the Texans offense. Prosise started two games for the Seahawks and displayed his potential as a runner/receiver in their offensive system. Okwara (Giants) has played in every game and recorded his first career sack last week.

5. Georgia

Rookies: Leonard Floyd (No. 9), Jordan Jenkins (No. 83), Malcolm Mitchell (No. 112), John Theus (No. 145), Keith Marshall (No. 242), Chris Mayes (undrafted).
Skinny: The Bulldogs sneak into my top five primarily because of the play of Floyd. He has been an immediate-impact defender for the Bears. He leads all rookies with 7 sacks and he's produced consistent pressure in every game I've studied this fall. Mitchell has emerged as a reliable target for Tom Brady and should have a long, productive NFL career. Jenkins hasn't stood out, but he has started 8 games for the Jets. There were several other schools I considered for this spot, but Floyd gave the edge to the Bulldogs.

Edited by Tre Mac

• 2 weeks later...

Sucks for Udub, but 'Bama is just too strong.... Nice to see that Clemson put the boots to the Buckeyes, though. Here's hoping they can do something against the Tide in the NC game.

Also, I'm hoping that Western Michigan can run the table tomorrow against the Badgers (although I don't expect them to) and of course, pulling for my Sooners tomorrow night in the Sugar Bowl.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

Just about to head out for the Rose Bowl, pretty pumped! I am going to say a 31-28 Final with a game-winning TD pass from Darnold to Juju on a goal-line fade.

Fight On!!

Hope it's a great game Reggie. I can't say I'm a big fan of SC, but I always cheer for the western representative in the Rose Bowl. Takes me back to when I started watching bowl games and it always seemed to be USC or Washington against Michigan or Ohio State.

Later in the day, it would be the Orange Bowl (the only other bowl game that was nationally televised at the time) where I'd often get to watch my Sooners take on the hated Cornhuskers and where I learned to hate the SEC.

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Hope it's a great game Reggie. I can't say I'm a big fan of SC, but I always cheer for the western representative in the Rose Bowl. Takes me back to when I started watching bowl games and it always seemed to be USC or Washington against Michigan or Ohio State.

Later in the day, it would be the Orange Bowl (the only other bowl game that was nationally televised at the time) where I'd often get to watch my Sooners take on the hated Cornhuskers and where I learned to hate the SEC.

From what I see USC was seriously under rated..#9 is to low..they are a better team than Penn from what I can see...

Oh my god. I cannot even begin to explain how incredible this experience. Perfect football weather, the venue, the atmosphere, and good lord the game. It was literally a perfect dream come true. Just the mutual respect for each other both in the stands and on the field was something to behold. I was sitting in a section where there several Penn State fans and during the course of the game I struck up conversations with them and they seemed like genuinely awesome people. This one couple in front of us were season ticket holders of the Pens so we talked some good hockey with them. The game in itself was an instant classic. I will remember it for the rest of my life. From the 3 TD's from Burnett, to the 2 point convert where Darnold slipped, to McQuay's pick and return leading up to the GW field goal.

Folks if you ever get the chance to experience the Rose Bowl game, I would definitely recommend it. It is an outstanding event, top to bottom.

What a roller coaster of a season for the Trojans, so proud of the CCH, his staff and the team. To bounce back from a start like that is so hard to do.

Fight On Forever!!

• Upvote 2

'Grats on that win Reggie, must've been a hella game to be at. Couldn't watch much because the World Juniors were on, but it sounds like it couldn't have been much better...

All in all, it's been a pretty solid Bowl season so far, with just a couple of blemishes. (Western Michigan losing to Wisconsin and of course, 'Bama over UDub) Still, my Sooners took care of business in the Sugar Bowl and #5 and #6 both lost, as did Nebraska.

In fact, yesterday was a tough day to beat: Oklahoma and USC win, Canada beats the Czechs and the Canucks knock off the Avs.

Maybe Bob Geldof was wrong....Mondays ain't so bad....

• Upvote 2