The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Really REALLY Good Coffee

DarthNinja

I'll second Wet's recommendation for the Aeropress. I bought one on his recommendation and have never had better coffee at home. Period.

My brother and his wife were over for brunch last month and had some as well and couldn't stop talking about it so I ordered one for Christmas for them as well.

As for beans, besides the places already mentioned, if you're in a pinch I find that both Esquires and Delaneys coffee shops have decent beans for sale. Avoid Starbucks, Tim Hortons etc like the plague.

Can anyone recommend really, really good coffee that one can get handily in the Lower Mainland?

I've tried the usual, including Kicking Horse (Pacific Pipeline is my fave) as well as Latin Organics (Coastal Peak is my fave) but I'm looking for better.

Anyone know a good place to get some really good, goopy, oily beans?

I prefer only whole beans and prefer a medium-dark or just medium roast.

Yes, I am pretty anal about my coffee, since I much prefer drinking coffee over sawdust like Maxwell House or Folgers...:ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up an Aeropress today from Elysian coffee along with a bunch of whole beans from Latin Organics, in combination with filtered water from my Aquarain water purifer {never would thought a water purifer would make that much of a difference in taste} the effect was dynamite, much better than even the cup of Clover machine brewed boutique coffee I ordered from Elysian.

I picked up an Aeropress today from Elysian coffee along with a bunch of whole beans from Latin Organics, in combination with filtered water from my Aquarain water purifer {never would thought a water purifer would make that much of a difference in taste} the effect was dynamite, much better than even the cup of Clover machine brewed boutique coffee I ordered from Elysian.

Geeze Wetcoaster after reading that post I may have to pick one up just for coffee in general with how well it works and how well it sounds, especially for that price.

Know of any good places in the Fraser Valley for beans though since it seems like all the places you are mentioning are in Vancouver.

After doing some experimentation and online research I have two minor complaints about the Aeropress, the first being that its not very "fuel efficient", you need a lot of grounds for a given level of strength and volume. I guess that's the price of an abbreviated brew process.

The second is that the paper filters seem to filter out some of the oils and other flavoring elements along with the grit, the reusable metal filters appearantly don't do this so I'll be picking one up shortly.

The coffee is just epic though, you can even make it thick enough to stand on yet it won't be more than the least bit bitter or acidic. One interest thing I've noticed is that you don't have to run to the bathroom near as much as you usually do with coffee, maybe that lack of harshness means its a lot easier on your insides as well as your taste buds?

Espressotec in Richmond - the link noted above:

12120 Vulcan Way

Richmond, BC

V6V 1J8

Phone: (604) 244-7989

Fax: 1-866-257-7117

Store hours:

MONDAY - THURSDAY: 9 - 6 PST

FRIDAY: 9 - 5 PST

SATURDAY: 10 - 4 PST

SUNDAYS & HOLIDAYS: CLOSED

The coffee bar at the top of the escalators from the Food Court at City Square shopping centre at 12th and Cambie.

CULTURED COFFEE & TEA (walk-in retailer)

CITY SQUARE MALL

555 WEST 12TH AVENUE, U113

VANCOUVER, BC

Phone: 604-787-7357

ELYSIAN COFFEE (walk-in retailer)

590 WEST BROADWAY

VANCOUVER, BC

Phone: 604-839-1210

REVOLVER COFFEE (walk-in retailer)

325 CAMBIE STREET

VANCOUVER, BC

Phone: 604-782-0944

TRAVELSMARTS (internet and walk-in retailer)

METROPOLIS AT METROTOWN

4820 KINGSWAY, UNIT 212

BURNABY, BC

www.travelsmarts.ca

Phone: 604-568-0800

Thanks a million, Wet! Been reading this thread for info for my son and will be picking up an Aeropress (I work 5 minutes away from the Vulcan location, so how perfect!)

Archived