The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best player drafted in your NHL BEAGM

WrathofBrathwaite

This was back in 2006 when I last had the game for my computer and not my XBox 360. Why I still remember this, I don't know. Probably because I've never quite had someone turn out this incredible since.

For some reason I was the GM of the Canadiens. In my second season as GM, I drafted a 5'10" defenseman named Barry Hart with my 23rd overall selection. To this day, he remains a benchmark for all my drafted players in the NHL series.

As an offensive defenseman, he was rated 76 in his rookie year. Because I didn't like the makeup of my defensive corps, I put him on my second pairing. That was the best move I ever did. He won rookie scoring as a defenseman that year, the Calder with 74 points (his lowest total that he would put up in his 18 year career), and the Norris. To boot, he led our team in playoff scoring, until we lost in the cup finals that year.

In the 18 years with him, I won the cup 9 times, each time he won the Conn Smyth. The thing that stood out the most was that EVERY SINGLE YEAR he played, he won the Norris. The most points he put up in a season was 119.

To this day, I still do not understand how that happened. I think it must have been a glitch in the system. The best I have seen one of my drafted defenseman get since then has been around 84-86 points. However, at best they'll usually average in the low 70s (still good).

Best. Player. Ever.

In the 2013 entry draft with the Rangers, Joshua Stevenson in the 3rd round playmaking centre 80 overall and potential of A+/B+/A. In his rookie year he finished with 45-80-125, and so far in year 2027 he has played 1,322 games 529 goals, 1,037 assists (10th all time) good for 1,566 points (12th all-time). No one has even come close to this guy in any NHL game for me.

Archived