The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should the Flames have gone into an all-out rebuild this season?

Should the Flames have gone into an all-out rebuild this season?  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Absolutely

They're trying to salvage their seasons and have some kind of success while they're stuck with these atrocious contracts of players with NMC's and NTC's but really they don't have the depth to be able to keep up with the best teams in the league, and that is not going to change by bringing in one or two new pieces.

And the fact that they keep going back to former players like Jokinen, Tanguay, and Cammalleri it just shows me that they don't recognize where the NHL is heading and what kind of a team they need to be.

This is a golden chance for them to get some good draft picks and start from scratch

It wasn't an easy call for us to let Naslund walk but it was necessary in order to start our rebuild. No player on that team (other than Kiprusoff) should be untouchable IMO. Some players won't be moved simply because no one wants their ridiculous contracts on their books but everyone else should be fair game. I don't agree with Feaster's "we want to challenge for a Cup right now" philosophy.

Absolutely

They're trying to salvage their seasons and have some kind of success while they're stuck with these atrocious contracts of players with NMC's and NTC's but really they don't have the depth to be able to keep up with the best teams in the league, and that is not going to change by bringing in one or two new pieces.

And the fact that they keep going back to former players like Jokinen, Tanguay, and Cammalleri it just shows me that they don't recognize where the NHL is heading and what kind of a team they need to be.

This is a golden chance for them to get some good draft picks and start from scratch

It wasn't an easy call for us to let Naslund walk but it was necessary in order to start our rebuild. No player on that team (other than Kiprusoff) should be untouchable IMO. Some players won't be moved simply because no one wants their ridiculous contracts on their books but everyone else should be fair game. I don't agree with Feaster's "we want to challenge for a Cup right now" philosophy.

It's sad watching the Flames these days. Although they were a rival of the Canucks and vastly superior in the 80's, the Flames have had to rely on puck luck and low percentage plays to win big games, and to their credit they have overachieved in this.

One good reason to blow it up: NO SCORING. They try to get the first goal and they sit on the lead and attempt to win 1-0. I watched the San Jose game last night. They literally have no idea how to set up a scoring play. They skate in and start taking blind shots at Niemi, hoping he lets in a softie. Even the one goal they had was from their D, and arguably their best forward in that game was Jones, a plug they got a couple weeks ago to fill a hole.

"Soft rebuild" my ass. How many times have the Flames tried to bring back the past by re-acquiring Joker and Tangs and Squid? I have no doubt that Miikka Kiprusoff is a solid goalie, but is he really worth more right now than the youth and picks trading him could provide? Whenever the possibility of trading Iggy comes up in forums, Flames fans talk about how untradable he is as a franchise guy....do they not remember the hall of famers the Flames have given up in decades past?

I wouldn't be surprised if Calgary tries to re-acquire Commodore and Lombardi and Toni Lydman, hell bring all the Flames back from the 'good ol' days' of losing in round 1 every year. What's Ville Nieminen up to? Get that bastard on the phone Feaster!!

Delusional.

Imagine if the Canucks asked Nazzy to come out of retirement, traded for Morrison and Bert and then got Ohlund and Jovo back. We call up the CHL and see if goalie coach Clouts can strap em on again for some nostalgia. At least that team lost in the 2nd round. It would be a hilarious joke.

The Flames are doing it for real.

Joe N wanted to leave Calgary, they couldn't afford to pay Fleury, I don't know what you are talking about here and I am not sure if you do either.

Anyway, whatever - in trying to give you some leverage on your argument - B Sutter clearly advocates a defensive game and system but why blow up a team, why not advocate firing the coach.

The Flames do have some pieces. Cammy, Iggy, Tangs, Joker, GlenX, Stempy. Excluding Iginla you may not consider these elite players but you certainly consider them top 6. It may not be the players, it may be the coach…

The Flames are a bubble team, just as likely to miss the playoffs as to make them. You can't snap your finger after all the damage D Sutter did and expect the Flames to leverage instantly back up to where they were before a piece or two from being a contender.

They need to change most of their core and depth. Doesn't have to be done through tanking. Can be done through trades and signings as well.

And this should probably be Sutter's last year. I don't think he's a bad coach, but he doesn't deserve to stay if they're going to make some changes.

I don't think Calgary is going to do that. When you trade a guy like Bourque in this type of mindset, you don't get someone like Michael Cammalleri coming back. I would have probably tried to get a young speedy top nine winger for him. Somebody your scouting department thinks is worth more than others think he is.

No. The major rebuild starts NEXT season. This is the season to let all the crap contracts expire. I think despite what Feaster's saying, the Flames are going to be BIG Sellers at the deadline. There are a lot of players with expiring contracts that other teams might find very attractive, led by Jokinen. The deadline will allow the Flames to start fixing holes in their game starting with Faceoffs and the Center position.

With the Sabres tanking as badly as they are, now might be a good time to make a real value trade to get Paul Gaustad from them. One of the league's top faceoff men and someone who can anchor the bottom 6 forwards group at center. Then, the focus is to get a center who is capable of playing CONSISTENTLY on the top line and can win faceoffs. Both types of centers are crucial to be good at even strength, PP and PK.

No. The major rebuild starts NEXT season. This is the season to let all the crap contracts expire. I think despite what Feaster's saying, the Flames are going to be BIG Sellers at the deadline. There are a lot of players with expiring contracts that other teams might find very attractive, led by Jokinen. The deadline will allow the Flames to start fixing holes in their game starting with Faceoffs and the Center position.

With the Sabres tanking as badly as they are, now might be a good time to make a real value trade to get Paul Gaustad from them. One of the league's top faceoff men and someone who can anchor the bottom 6 forwards group at center. Then, the focus is to get a center who is capable of playing CONSISTENTLY on the top line and can win faceoffs. Both types of centers are crucial to be good at even strength, PP and PK.

Maybe from the upper echelons of the NHL Canuck fans have forgot what it is to be a bubble team. Being a bubble team means fighting for the playoffs, not going to the Conference finals. Almost half the NHL teams miss the dance every year, the Canucks have risen to be such a force that the success of simply making the playoffs doesn't even register for them anymore.

In 2009-10 the Flames missed the playoffs by 6 points or 3 wins. Finishing 10th in the West. In 2010-11 they missed the playoffs by 4 points or 2 wins finishing 10th in the West again. 3 wins or 6 more points in 2010-11 would have put them in 4th overall in the West. That is how tight and tough the West is.

Regardless this is the very definition of a bubble playoff team. Now if you are missing the playoffs by 10-15 points or more I think you can make the argument that it may be time to think about being a "seller."

And on moving the big contracts, patience. All the blah, blah about trading Kipper, Iginla and whomever is misplaced. The time to trade these players is in the final year of their contract at the deadline or in the off-season of their final year. This makes them less burdensome and also garners max return.

It will take time and if you are a impatient Flames fan who wants action right now, it may be best to jump ship to another team because the Flames need some serious time to re-jig for the future but they will not be doing it from the basement.

Cammy is a good trade because the Flames can again trade him / recycle him at the deadline in 2014 when he is in his final year.

At 31 he will still have value...

• 2 months later...

Wondering if Feaster would be dumb enough to :rolleyes: willing to do a Raymond, Oreskovich (or similar D prospect) and pick for Tanguay trade? Kes and Booth could really use a play making winger, and the Flames could get a young speedy guy who's had success against them at least; he can play in their Top 6 most likely or at worst add skill to their 3rd line; Oreo could still become a power forward and maybe Jackman could teach him a thing or two, and the pick's self-exp.

Archived