The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mindcheck.ca

jono2009

Everyday I wake up proud to be a Canucks fan. Today even better reason. I have been waiting to see this page for Rick Rypien and today it was finally released. I can;t wait to make a pledge, and help out where needed. The Canucks truly are the best organization out there. Such class and well out together. Way to go Canucks, and especially Kevin Bieksa for this well thought out contribution. I am sure Rick is looking down and smiling.

Mike Gillis spoke after Rick Rypien's death about their need to do something to honour Ryp's life. I salute the organization for getting involved with the creators of mindcheck.ca and for publicizing the website.

And as someone who has been treated a number of times as an adult for clinical depression, I say bravo to the discussion. If we can increase understanding about this medical disease, I, for one, will be very grateful. If young people, in particular, can reach out for help without fear of stigma, it would help them to deal with the illness, manage their lives and get well.

RIP Ryp.

Canucks for Kids Fund partners with Fraser Health, Provincial Health Services Authority and BC Children's Hospital Foundation to re-launch Mindcheck.ca

CFKF with support from NHLPA Goals & Dreams fund contributes $50,000 to launch multifaceted online initiative and awareness campaign

Vancouver, B.C. – The Canucks for Kids Fund (CFKF) in conjunction with Fraser Health and Provincial Health Services Authority, and BC Children’s Hospital are proud to announce the launch of Mindcheck.ca, a resource website designed for BC youth and young adults, as well as family members and friends, to recognize symptoms and better understand the challenges of mental illness. Vancouver Canuck defenceman Kevin Bieksa lends his voice to the site to share his experiences with a close friend and teammate, Rick Rypien, who suffered from depression.

Mindcheck.ca features the personal accounts of Kevin Bieksa, interactive quizzes and information, and medical resource contacts. To broaden the reach and increase public awareness and support for mental health issues, BC residents will have the opportunity to add their video to the “In One Voice” campaign within the site by recording and uploading a pledge. The goal is to have people read and upload the pledge with the idea in mind that the collection of personal accounts will help to alleviate the stigma associated with mental illness by having people speak about it in a public forum. The pledge can be found at mindcheck.ca/inonevoice.

By enhancing mental health literacy this partnership will improve early recognition of mental health concerns, encourage the use of effective self‐care strategies, and facilitate navigation of mental health services in BC.

The t-shirt worn by Kevin Bieksa in the PSA on Mindcheck.ca will be available at the Canucks Team Store, beginning today at the Rogers Arena and Robson store locations. A limited number of Rick Rypien Packs, which include a ‘37 Ryp’ pin, sticker, Mindcheck.ca shirt and Rick Rypien commemorative magazine, will be available for $37 during tonight's game exclusively at Rogers Arena. All net proceeds will be donated to the Canucks for Kids Fund in support of mental health awareness.

Mindcheck.ca was initially launched in spring 2010 as part of a Fraser Health early intervention pilot project for Youth and Young Adult Mental Health and Substance Use. The expansion of this web site as a provincial resource is thanks to the Provincial Health Service Authority’s BC Mental Health and Addiction Services; the Kelty Mental Health Resource Centre - BC’s Information Source for Children, Youth and Families; the Canucks for Kids Fund through BC Children’s Hospital Foundation; and the RBC Children’s Mental Health project.

The Province’s 10 Year Plan to Address Mental Health and Substance Use in B.C. – Healthy Minds, Healthy People – is a road map to further improve mental health for all British Columbians. In 2010-11, just over $1.3 billion was spent to support services and programs for people with mental health and/or substance use problems.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=613222&navid=DL|VAN|home

Archived