The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Year Of The Bible?: Pa. House Urges ‘Faith In God Through Holy Scripture’

Satan's Evil Twin

1. The context used of "god" in "god damn" / "swear to god" , and our Anthem / American currency are different. A simple grasp of the English language would suffice, but bible thumpers are adept at playing dumb with words.

2. How would anyone be afraid of something that's long been the predominate western culture religion? I'm not afraid of Christianity or any religion whatsoever. I'm greatly opposed to them, however.

Words are words, but it isn't the word that gives meaning it's the intent behind it. You already know this, but assuredly will play dumb once again. In your defensiveness you obviously haven't thought things through well enough.

2 points: 1. I don't know why we disagreed so fervently once before, but since I have agreed with your posts as if I wrote them myself. I take back all the bad things I said about you behind your back (I didn't actually say anything). 2. Maybe he ain't playin'. My money's on he ain't even playin'.

PS. I found Jesus.

That's deep... :bigblush:

Yes.

Your words obviously don't admit it but it's easy to tell you're irritated at how people are vehemently opposed to your religion's institutionalisation in so many facets of their life (especially using science, common sense, and even the bible to disprove the bible), you are aggressively seeking out rather infantile pixel reprisals to get back at them.

But what really comes to fruition is that you really haven't thought very deeply about this issue, my guess is it's you who's afraid of what happens if you could ever objectively be introspective on the issue, the same way kids act as they come upon the logic there's no Santa or Easter Bunny.

For the same reason I would play with someone full of stupid? Maybe we're both masochists. :lol:

Look how stupid your post was:

3713944_f520.jpg

Affirming vs. Swearing Oaths in Court

Many Assume You Must Swear an Oath in Court, but You can Affirm Instead

Why Should Atheists Affirm Rather than Swear?

There are good political and ideological reasons for affirming an oath rather than swearing. Expecting people in court to swear an oath to God while using a Bible only helps reinforce

Christian Supremacy in America. It's not just a "privilege" for Christians that courts incorporate Christian beliefs and text into legal procedures, but instead a form of supremacy because they are receiving official state approval and citizens are expected to actively participate. Even if other religious texts are permitted, it still means that the government is favoring religion in an inappropriate manner.

Not to mention the stupidity of using the American court "swearing in" as some kind of point. I wonder what they use in China, India, Russia, and Madagascar.

Those of us replacing "god" in the anthem with FSM must hate god AND Canada.

:lol:

Not to mention the fact that the Bible is already the most translated and printed book in history. Yeah, we're really afraid. :picard:

Huh? :huh:

You know in Canada, "so help you god" is only added by Christians, right? I like Canada because it's secular, why would I not like what I see here? Where did you even get that from my post? It was with America in context, as said in the previous sentence.

It's you who seems to have a problem, crying of Christian persecution, how atheists are favored, and other nonsense.

I'm not the one afraid, it is you who is afraid that your religion has lost its hold on Canada and it continues worldwide. It's not us secularists and humanists who have to worry, the world is only getting more educated and therefore more secular. Your desire to impose your crappy beliefs on others is evident, but we both know the trend will continue the other way. Defensive? :lol:

Favoured is how we spell it in Canada - seeing how you are being so Canadian.

Where did I get you being defensive? Most of your posts are filled with either hate or humour at someone's expense.

You consider yourself to be a humanist? That's another joke right? Like I said, it's hard to tell from your posts.

I am afraid - but not from which you say. That is, I wouldn't be afraid even if I was the last human to believe in God in Canada.

I'm not crying Christian persecution - I am opposed to hate.

Contrary to your posts, there is no nonsense here.

This is life, if you truly want to be a humanist - then start acting like one (isn't that what you say about me being a Christian?).

:sadno:

How do you get me "being so Canadian" from that? I'm genuinely curious, because you consistently reply with bizarre tangents as if they're pertinent in any way. First you tell me I should leave if I don't like it "here", even though we're not even talking about "here", now this. I don't know why I bother.

You are only Christian because you were born somewhere in particular, or somewhere down the road a member of your distant family was forced to become Christian, because their life was threatened. More crimes have been committed in the name of Christianity than any other religion.

Lol. Murder and thievery and adultery are also "facts of life", didn't stop god from mentioning those in the 10 commandments. Why not throw in slavery for an 11th? "Thou shalt not own people" or some such would do.

Next you can tell us how god loves his children and that's why he had to kill every human being save for one family. :lol:

Yes, murder and thievery are facts of life. But they have nothing to do with being an indentured servant in order to save yourself from starvation.

The Flood is a red herring, but I believe the Flood was a local event and not a global event.

Option #1) Slaughter everyone in the enemy village.

Option #2) Enslave the populace, thereby ensuring their survival, although they would be in a state of servitude

Option #3) Let your enemies go and allow for the possibility of more violence at a later date. It's entirely plausible that defeated tribes would unite against a common foe, Israel.

In addition, you seem to assume that the peoples who Israel defeated were saints (but probably not, because saints are silly!). The fact is that the Canaanites and other ancient cultures were sacrificing their children to idols and engaging in all other sorts of debauchery; in other words, they were reprehensible (Lev 20:23). As well, Paul Copan makes a compelling case (at least in the lecture that I listened to) for God's use of the Israelites when they entered the Promised Land. Though I have not read it, I would suggest looking up Paul Copan's Is God A Moral Monster?.

And again, what is constantly ignored is, as is pointed out in Scorpio's signature, Christ's commandment to "love our enemies". What does this imply? It's obvious - believers should not mistreat or abuse others, no matter what their background. This would obviously include not abusing slaves.

Why bring up the indentured servant bit again? Slaves were not all indentured servants in Yahweh's system.

Leviticus 25:

"44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life"

Pretty easy for Yahweh to prohibit or even merely discourage slavery at this time. He didn't

Or, 5) Don't slaughter all the men, rape the women, and take everything in the village as your property if you win the battle. Treat the defeated foes as actual people, and not property to be mistreated.

6) Don't invade the village in the first place. You've got Yahweh on your side to protect you if you need to fight out of self-defence

I'm not sure why neither of these options were seen as possible

Do people have to be saints to be treated as human beings? No matter how reprehensible someone is, there's absolutely no excuse to lower yourself to their level or below and treat them like pieces of property. I'll google the book to see if I can find it anywhere online.

I completely agree with the sentiment behind "love your enemies". Why did Yahweh fail to follow his son's sage advice many many times in the Bible? Why did he set rules for slaves that allowed them to be horribly mistreated and beaten to death?

it always astounds me that when there is no absolute proof of a supreme being , so many people want to tell you what he meant when he supposedly spoke to certain people , moses , mohammed even joseph smith .

and then you have the christians who do not seem to agree on which gospels are true accounts of jesus' life, which gospels do you believe heretic ?

it always astounds me that when there is no absolute proof of a supreme being , so many people want to tell you what he meant when he supposedly spoke to certain people , moses , mohammed even joseph smith .

and then you have the christians who do not seem to agree on which gospels are true accounts of jesus' life, which gospels do you believe heretic ?

Archived