The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Bollywood Thread

DhillonCanuck

My newest favorite movies is "3 Idiots" - I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it. It's almost 3 hours long, but you don't notice it all. I haven't seen many Bollywood films, but this one is simply amazing - very emotional, very educational and mostly absolutely hilarious. It knows when to take itself seriously, and when to have a good time. All the songs are great as well

• 1 month later...

Bollywood's 'King of Romance' Yash Chopra dies at 80:

Mumbai: Veteran filmmaker Yash Chopra died in Lilavati Hospital on Sunday after brief illness. The news of his passing away sent shockwaves in the entire Hindi film industry and the nation.

Known for romantic movies, amazing sets and beautiful heroines, Yash Chopra was admitted to the hospital a few days ago after he was diagnosed with dengue. Reports say that he died of multiple organ failure. The news of Yash Chopra’s demise was confirmed by a tweet from well known director Mahesh Bhatt. Bhatt tweeted, “Heartbreaking news Yash Chopra passes away!”

Yash Chopra, an institution in himself spent a life doing what he loved and that was to spread romance through some of his masterpieces he created in the form of love epics like ‘Silsila’, ‘Chandni’, ‘Lamhe’, ‘Dil To Pagal Hai’ and ‘Veer Zaara’.

Yash Chopra's career spanned over five decades with more than 50 films under his belt. Yash Chopra had won several film awards, including six National Film Awards and eleven Filmfare awards including four Filmfare Award for Best Director. The Government of India honoured him with the Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 2001 and the Padma Bhushan in 2005 for his contributions towards Indian cinema.

The legend was working on his last film called ‘Jab Tak Hai Jaan’ which is scheduled to release this Diwali. During the shooting of JTHJ, Yash Chopra’s trip to Switzerland with SRK and Katrina (lead actors in the film) had to be cancelled after he was admitted to Lilavati hospital.

Post his illness, the director handed over the mantle to his son Aditya Chopra to shoot few last portions of the film.

Meanwhile, reports confirm that Yash Chopra's body would be brought to Yash Raj Studios from his residence in Juhu. His body will be kept at Yash Raj Studios for last darshan Monday between 9 AM to 12 noon.

Our heart goes out to the bereaved Chopra family.

http://zeenews.india.com/entertainment/celebrity/yash-chopra-the-king-of-romance-passes-away_121456.htm

R.I.P. :(

• 9 months later...

I'm about a week late, but it's better late than never! Veteran actor Pran passes away in Mumbai:

MUMBAI: Veteran Bollywood actor Pran, who played the dreaded villain and lovable character with elan in hits like 'Milan', 'Madhumati', 'Bobby', 'Zanjeer' and 'Ram Aur Shyam', passed away at a suburban hospital here this evening at the age of 93.

"He died after a spell of prolonged illness," his daughter Pinky told PTI. He was admitted to Lilavati hospital a month ago after his health started deteriorating, she said. His funeral will be held tomorrow noon at Shivaji Park in Dadar.

The veteran actor, who had a six-decade-long career that saw him performing in over 400 films, was conferred the country's highest cinema honour -- Dada Saheb Phalke award -- in April.

Pran left his imprint as a villain with powerful roles in films like 'Kashmir ki Kali', 'Khandaan', 'Aurat', 'Bari Behen', 'Jis Desh Men Ganga Behti Hai', 'Half Ticket', 'Upkar', 'Purab Aur Paschim', 'Don' 'Karz' and 'Naseeb'.

Born on February 12 in 1920 in old Delhi, Pran Krishan Sikand was educated at places like Kapurthala, Unnao, Meerut, Dehradun and Rampur as his father Lala Kewal Krishnan Sikand was in government service.

Initially, Pran wanted to become a photographer but destiny had different plans for him. A chance meeting with a film producer got him his first break in Punjabi film 'Yamla Jat' in 1940.

There was no looking back for the actor after that as he went on to star in films like 'Chaudhary' (1941), 'Khandan' (1942), 'Kaise Kahun' (1945) and 'Badnami (1946).

After Partition, Pran came to Mumbai with his wife Shukla and sons Arvind and Sunil but found it difficult to get work as an actor in the city of dreams. Pran had almost given hope when writer Saadat Hasan Manto helped him get a role in Dev Anand starrer 'Ziddi' in 1948 which revived his career.

He will be forever remembered for bringing villains on par with the heroes, ruling the industry from 1969 to 1982. He commanded equal money and respect for his negative characters in 'Madhumati', 'Jis Desh Mein Ganga Behti Hai', 'Ram Aur Shyam' and 'Devdas'.

The actor's baritone and good looks helped him bring charm to his villainy which was very unique to Pran. Such was the magic of his onscreen roles that parents stopped naming their children 'Pran' at the height of his fame.

His chameleon-like ability helped Pran transform himself from one of the most hated onscreen villains to one of the most beloved character actors -- be it the 'Mangal chacha' in 'Upkar', Sher Khan of opposite Amitabh Bachchan in 'Zanjeer' or the discipline-loving but soft-hearted grandfather in Gulzar's 'Parichay'.

Prior to his film career, the actor wanted to become a professional photographer and worked as an apprentice with a company. This job took him to Shimla, where he played the role of Sita in a local staging of 'Ramlila'. He happened to meet writer, Wali Mohammad Wali, who worked for producer Dalsukh M. Pancholi in Lahore. This eventually led to Pran's entry in the film industry.

He acted in few Punjabi films before entering Bollywood with Sunil Dutt-Nutun starrer super hit film 'Khandan' (1965). His contribution in comedy movies also didn't go unnoticed with some side-splitting performances in 'Sadhu Aur Shaitaan', 'Chham Chama Chham', 'Half Ticket' and 'Bewaqoof' and others.

It was reported that in the 70s, Pran was among the highest paid actors in Indian cinema, ahead of his co-stars like Amitabh Bachchan and Vinod Khanna.

Pran married Shukla Ahluwalia in 1945 and has two sons, Arvind and Sunil and a daughter, Pinky.

http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2013-07-13/news/40537277_1_veteran-bollywood-actor-pran-bari-behen-purab-aur-paschim

• 11 months later...

On that not though, I've seen maybe 2 or 3 Bollywood movies that I've enjoyed in the last 4 years or so.

I've entirely given up on the industry. It seems to be travelling every which way in the wrong direction.

On that not though, I've seen maybe 2 or 3 Bollywood movies that I've enjoyed in the last 4 years or so.

I've entirely given up on the industry. It seems to be travelling every which way in the wrong direction.

The industry has been going downhill for awhile... Too many pretty boys not enough talent. All they do now is rip-off Hollywood movies.

Hey you're back. You didn't just come back to post in the Bollywood thread did you? Lol.

I was in the neighbourhood.

Punjab 1984 was good. Very emotional.

There's been one or two in the last couple of years I've enjoyed, Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara, R Rajkumar was fun, Barfi.

I Think there`s still enjoyable movies being made.

I was in the neighbourhood.

Punjab 1984 was good. Very emotional.

There's been one or two in the last couple of years I've enjoyed, Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara, R Rajkumar was fun, Barfi.

I Think there`s still enjoyable movies being made.

I loved Barfi, but I just hated Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara. I'm not using those words in exaggeration.

Barfi was a cute and unique movie (if you don't consider the Charlie Chaplin homage thing to be a straight rip off, which I don't as it's just an homage), but Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara was just another in a long list of Dil Chate Hai clones that have been churning out. Another one was Kai Po Che, which I also really did not like. 3 friends, with different issues, resolving their differences in what amounts to a spiritual journey. It's become a tired formula, as most things in India are. Formulaic.

And I really hate this takeover of South Indian Style Cinema in Bollywood. I cannot finds words to express how much I hate it, and it's a trend that's become so ingrained into mainstream cinema. Annoying music, poor dance coordination, increased over the top action, exaggerated and forced drama, grating dialogue delivery... and so on. I just so so very much do absolutely hate it. This more than anything has turned me off of Bollywood.

I'm probably missing a bunch of good movies by choosing to now ignore almost everything. But I have to see a trend away from lazy film making before I come back. They're picking the low hanging fruit as often as possible, and pandering to an audience with poor taste.

I loved Barfi, but I just hated Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara. I'm not using those words in exaggeration.

Barfi was a cute and unique movie (if you don't consider the Charlie Chaplin homage thing to be a straight rip off, which I don't as it's just an homage), but Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara was just another in a long list of Dil Chate Hai clones that have been churning out. Another one was Kai Po Che, which I also really did not like. 3 friends, with different issues, resolving their differences in what amounts to a spiritual journey. It's become a tired formula, as most things in India are. Formulaic.

And I really hate this takeover of South Indian Style Cinema in Bollywood. I cannot finds words to express how much I hate it, and it's a trend that's become so ingrained into mainstream cinema. Annoying music, poor dance coordination, increased over the top action, exaggerated and forced drama, grating dialogue delivery... and so on. I just so so very much do absolutely hate it. This more than anything has turned me off of Bollywood.

I'm probably missing a bunch of good movies by choosing to now ignore almost everything. But I have to see a trend away from lazy film making before I come back. They're picking the low hanging fruit as often as possible, and pandering to an audience with poor taste.

IT's true they're making clones, but is hollywood any better?

To me, there is no more originality in Hollywood, not only that, but I often wonder if the movies are clean enough to watch with my kids.

Sure there's formula in Bollywood, but I find entertainment as well.

Archived