The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael Gillis is grossly overrated

Lemieux

As stated earlier. How Gillis handles or gets out from under the Schneider - Luongo situation will go a LONG way to defining his tenure as GM of the Vancouver Canucks. This one situation and this one situation alone has the ability to define not only Gillis but the team as a whole for arguably the next decade.

:)

MG is too conservative....or scare to make trades. He does not seem to understand that we need to win NOW, and he is not doing whatever it takes to win it NOW. You can always say he is trying to be patient and build for long term success...with that approach, you will never win the cup and just building for long term forever.....

We can go to the final, but that's all.....can't win it without making some big, good trades.

This how a successful team is built today, Lemieux.

The Canucks have a window of opportunity, with the core that they have now, to compete for a cup. "Immediate gains", as you have put it, are exactly what they need right now, in the form of another reliable defender. They need to add smallish pieces rather than huge ones. I honestly don't see where MG is "sacrificing the future".

Ehrhoff was a good offensive player. I'm not sorry to see him struggle in Buffalo. I'm not sure how "valuable" he really is or was.

Gillis is building his team well, IMO.

:towel::canucks:

Right on mate . All this talk about erhoff , in a buffalo game 4 nights ago he had 3 turnovers in as many minutes

Overpaying Ballard, Booth, Sundin (thank goodness he did not take the 2-year $20mil contract), Demitra (RIP), and Luongo.

Sundin - It didn't matter what we gave him, we had a ton of cap space. Plus, he was a point-per-game in the playoffs. What more could you ask?

Booth - He didn't sign that contract and, as we are seeing, he may very well be worth more than he is being paid within the next few years.

Ballard - The one deal that I can honestly say that I didn't like from the start.

So far, he is arguably the best GM in Canucks history.

I remember the day the Canucks announced they hired MG as the new GM. he had no experience and was acting as a player agent before.

he came in and made a couple of unpopular moves (not signing Naslund ie).

at that time(!) the Canucks were not really in the run for any big name free agents so he made a bold move with offering Sundin big money. he showed everyone how we could attract top players and treat them exceptionally well. I think this was one of the better moves of the franchise. Sundin was at the end of his career. we didn't really need a guy who could put up 52828592 points. we were looking for leadership. moreover, MG attracted big names for future trade windows.

I see you didn't like the Mitchell trade. I give you that. but again, at that time Mitchell hadn't played because of the concussion. he didn't want to gamble. hindsight is 20/20, Mitchell looks alright, but as one poster before said, IF Mitchell were toast and he'd have signed him for 2 more years @ 3.5 years I'd guarantee you that you'd be the first poster to bitch.

additionally, MG brought in a sleep doctor which in my opinion was very smart and out-of-the box. another reason other players might love to play here.

he retained Burrows

he re-signed the Sedin's (flew to Sweden for them)

signed Hamhuis even though two (if I remember correctly) teams bought the rights for him first. he wanted to come here!!

won an award for best GM

took rookie Hodgson in the draft (yes it's a good move. he could have taken a bust! we've seen that happen many times. Patrick White anyone?!?)

so after all these points. you gonna bitch about a bad contract for Ballard (he plays well IMO, just his price tag is a little expensive), Mitchell and about Schneider where he hasn't even made a move yet?!?

are you still going to complain if Schneider landed us a 1st round pick and a top6 forward?

sorry, long post. but I don't understand your logic Lemieux

But I understand your logic and it is flawless. right on brother .

This guy is grossly overrated.

He has come up with bad contracts after bad contracts.

Overpaying Ballard, Booth, Sundin (thank goodness he did not take the 2-year $20mil contract), Demitra (RIP), and Luongo. These are good players, but definitely not at the salary that they are making. Now they are really stuck with Luongo, an older goalie with more and more mileage. This guy was overused in Florida, and you just don't see him playing at the same level 2 or 3 years down the road. This situation has caused the whole Schneider thing. Schneider looks like a young solid number one that could carry the Canucks into the next decade. He has solid moves, unlike the Sieve Cloutier. He's a calming presence. Because of the no-trade clause to Luongo, Schneider has to be moved.

People defend Gillis and say that he had got the Canucks into the finals. The main pieces, i.e. Kesler, Sedins, Edler, Bieksa, Salo, Burrows were all pieces from the past regimes. The only guy that Gillis could truly claim to be a valuable asset was ehrhoff.

Gillis is really sacrifing the future of the team for immediate gains. It's really sad to see.

That's how it works in the business. If you're the guy who comes in to re-build a team, more often or not you won't get to reap the success for the foundation that you built. You are usually fired before it happens. It's the next guy that gets the credit because he is also the next guy that makes that move that puts you over the top.

That's what Gillis did. He could have easily blow this team after it failed to make the playoffs 2 out of 3 years. It looked like the window of this core of players has closed. The GM can always ask to do that to make "his own team". Moves that he didn't make might as well be considered the moves that he did. He re-signed the twins, kept Kesler, Burrows, Salo, Bieksa, found a way to keep his star (at the time) long-term. He kept them instead of moving them. Credit to him for that. He was able to fit every piece of the puzzle together. If they didn't fit, he found a piece that did. That's what a good GM does. I don't understand how someone can find fault with that.

Sacrificing the future? You know what he was brought in to do? Make this team a winner now and that's what he has done. Again, he could have blown up the team and got more draft picks and younger players. You know why he can't because the owners and fans don't allow it. Canuck fans don't want to win another 5-6 years for prospects to round out. We've already been doing that with the Sedins, Keslers, Burrows, Bieksa, etc. It's their time now, the only way to see the fruits of our patience is to stick with these guys and find the extra pieces that put the team over the top and that's exactly what Gillis has been doing.

MG is too conservative....or scare to make trades. He does not seem to understand that we need to win NOW, and he is not doing whatever it takes to win it NOW. You can always say he is trying to be patient and build for long term success...with that approach, you will never win the cup and just building for long term forever.....

We can go to the final, but that's all.....can't win it without making some big, good trades.

This is absolute rubbish. He is giving us every opportunity to try to win it now...he just isn't willing to trade unless he feels it's a move toward improvement. He has faith in this group, with good reason to. Sure, it's been identified that it's still not perfect and he'll be looking to see how we can improve for the playoffs (mostly, guys staying healthy last year would have sufficed). What you "OMG BIG TRADE" guys don't realize is there just aren't many to be had...and, when there are, everyone and their dog is interested, so you overpay.

I don't think your post is worth a grain of salt without proposing those big moves you'd like to see happen. If you can't, then you like are aware of the fact that it's not as easy as pulling a trigger. So, Mr. New GM...help me UNDERSTAND how you'd do it better.

wrong......you dont understand that it is difficult to make these so called "big trade" They rarely happen in the trade deadline and good teams like Detriot will not give up young players for one player who may or may not impacted.....big trade does not always end up being sucessful.......PATIENCE DO YOU UNDERSTAND DEAL WILL COME AS NOW THE PRICE IS HIGH! UNDERSTAND? :picard:

you're [sic] analysis here in the first line doesn't mean a lot either.

It's time to cut your losses and admit you had a brain cramp .. and maybe change your name (sic) so no-one judges you in the future? .. (P.S. Super Mario would be a dead give-away) .. :P

So if all the main pieces were here before he came, how come we didn't make it into the final back then?

Sure he may not have built the team's core from scratch, but what he has done is made sure the core stuck around, and then enhanced what we have by adding secondary pieces and depth. He took us from a good team to a contender. Plus, he didn't even sign the Booth and Ballard contracts, they were already under contract when he traded for them.

This guy is grossly overrated.

He has come up with bad contracts after bad contracts.

Overpaying Ballard, Booth, Sundin (thank goodness he did not take the 2-year $20mil contract), Demitra (RIP), and Luongo. These are good players, but definitely not at the salary that they are making. Now they are really stuck with Luongo, an older goalie with more and more mileage. This guy was overused in Florida, and you just don't see him playing at the same level 2 or 3 years down the road. This situation has caused the whole Schneider thing. Schneider looks like a young solid number one that could carry the Canucks into the next decade. He has solid moves, unlike the Sieve Cloutier. He's a calming presence. Because of the no-trade clause to Luongo, Schneider has to be moved.

People defend Gillis and say that he had got the Canucks into the finals. The main pieces, i.e. Kesler, Sedins, Edler, Bieksa, Salo, Burrows were all pieces from the past regimes. The only guy that Gillis could truly claim to be a valuable asset was ehrhoff.

Gillis is really sacrifing the future of the team for immediate gains. It's really sad to see.

You dumb?

He didn't sign Ballard to that contract, nor did he sign Booth to his. Gillis has constantly offered great contracts for his players. 5M for Kesler and Sedins at 6.1M is a steal if you actually looked around the league.

Sundin was offered the 10M contract but there was obviously a plan put into place if you ever even followed what Gillis did. Sundin had a bigger effect on this team than you think. Is it a coincidence that after Sundin was signed, the Twins and Kesler became the superstars they are today? They saw how professional Sundin was game in and game out and how he prepared himself. For 10M, it was definitely worth the experience.

What's bad about Luongo's contract? Would you rather Gillis have shortened up the length and increase the cap hit? Would you want a goaltender making 6.5-7M over the next little while? The cap hit is more important than the length and it's a reason why most GMs who are brighter than you decide to sign these players to such long term contracts. If you want a deep team, you need players who sign for low cap hits.

This last part that's in bold is even more ridiculous. A lot of GMs go into a team and they don't trade for the sake of trading just to make the team theirs. Ever heard of the saying "Sometimes the best move is no move?". Let me ask you this, if you became the GM of Detroit, would you trade Datsyuk and Zetterberg just for the sake of making the team yours?

As for your last sentence, it just shows how clueless you are about Gillis and the current team. The team has a small window to win. The time to win is now. Sometimes you make sacrifices as a GM in order to make that push for a cup.

Also I have no idea what you're talking about when he's selling his future for the present. This team is more deep than it has been for years. We actually have a farm and we're developing slowly just like Detroit.

So instead of bashing Gillis for all the great moves he's done, maybe you should stop hating and realized what a great team he's built.

Archived