The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

North American Supporter Culture

uber_pwnzor

I've been getting up at 4 am to watch Canucks games live for quiet some time now, and the thing that struck me the most is how different the North American supporter culture is from the Swedish, and European for that matter.

Here in Sweden every team has got a "klack", a group of supporters who stand together at the games and do things like this:

, they also sing songs, and not just "Let's go (insert the name of the team you cheer for)", no, they sing songs that they've made specifically for the team.

This make the games much, much, much more epic than the NHL games. But, it's not entirely good, when teams from the same city play each other it can get out of hand; a normal family won't go to these games because it can be so brutal, people can start fighting each other on the stands. And for something like two supporters from different teams to sit next to each other and just watch the game is totally unheard of.

I was wondering, why are NHL games so friendly? (Haha).

It is definately interesting how different the sporting culture is. I always thought that it was because of how big soccer(football) is in Europe that some of that culture has spilled over into hockey as well. But maybe it's just because Europeans are more passionate about their sports and teams? Although I am curious, are full on riots common in European hockey?

We get pretty crazy at playoff games.

I think that coordinated team cheers are harder to catch on because it isn't the same group of fans going to every game.

Also, our rinks are about 4 times the size of the one in your video, so "The Wave" works well, but other things don't really catch on.

We are also a little more peaceful.

I went to the Canucks vs Oilers in the beginning of the season, and was yelling Go Canucks Go in response to their Let's go Oilers, and no one seemed to mind.

Violence at sporting events is very frowned upon here. It would be a black eye on the franchise/game.

Do you throw octopus and salmon and eggo waffles on the ice?

The North American sports atmosphere in general is (no offence intended) pathetic in comparison to Europe. Even during the playoffs when the atmosphere is pretty good it doesn't really compare.

That's just my opinion though. I enjoy going to football games and singing the songs. I really think it adds to the experience of going. And some people will say that they go to watch the game and not have party, but it's possible to focus on what's going on while singing at the same time.

We get pretty crazy at playoff games.

I think that coordinated team cheers are harder to catch on because it isn't the same group of fans going to every game.

Also, our rinks are about 4 times the size of the one in your video, so "The Wave" works well, but other things don't really catch on.

We are also a little more peaceful.

I went to the Canucks vs Oilers in the beginning of the season, and was yelling Go Canucks Go in response to their Let's go Oilers, and no one seemed to mind.

Violence at sporting events is very frowned upon here. It would be a black eye on the franchise/game.

Do you throw octopus and salmon and eggo waffles on the ice?

As a huge fan of European football I'm a big fan of the idea and have suggested organizing chants before.

However, there are a number of hurdles that stop this from happening:

1) Tradition - Euro sports clubs are wrapped in it while most North American sports clubs are relatively new. Few teams have any precedent, but when they do these traditions (Luuuuuuuu's, Octopus, Rats, Hats, Ole's, etc) generally live on.

Point being some one at some point has to step forward to begin a tradition but few do because:

2) Hockey is a far more intense and involving sport to watch then soccer/football. As such there is less time to organize/cheer as most fans are too preoccupied on watching and analyzing the game.

3) Fans in North America are too eclectic - there is no common unity aside from a love of the team which even sometimes can be questioned. What does a business man in a suit at a game want to do singing alongside a drunk 20 year old?

Do you live under a rock? I've seen far too many times frustration boiling over in stands and people fighting or at the very least being kicked out. People also don't care if it would put a black eye on the franchise/game. Take the most recent Vancouver riot. Did anyone stop and say "oh well geeze maybe we should stop because the franchise might look bad". People are angry here. Revisit some of the threads from last years playoff run, and the year prior and so forth. People said they got harassed in la, and Boston. People are generally angry when they're losing, and intoxication doesn't help.

• 3 months later...

Archived