The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian Talk

Bilbro Baggins

Some things that I noticed from Kassian's first day as a Canuck:

• Seemed to gel easily with any line that he was thrown on.
  • Already has good skating ability and is very agile for a man of his size.
  • Made several nice passes out there and tends to read the play quite well.
  • Very hard to knock off of the puck and uses his size well to protect the puck also
  • I like the fact that Kassian doesn't sound like he has a severe lack of intelligence in his interviews like Lucic does.

1st game review:

-good skater for a big man (not as fast as Oreskovich but much better than Bitz and other behemoths)

-decent hands, good judgment to go along with accurate passing but could have held on to the puck longer on occasion (likely nerves)

-showed glimpses of a developing cycle game but there is more to give

-best sign--chances were there when he played with more skilled players

Realistically he's a bottom 6 forward for at least this year and the next. Up to him after that. Like all players his age he needs confidence and some results to prove to himself he belongs.

He fit in very seemlessly on the 2nd 4th and 1st line throughout the game. Very impressive.

We never saw Cody have this kind of chemistry with anyone on the team this year.

Didn't get knocked off the puck like Cody would in the defensive and offensive zones. His vision is good too, Not CoHo good but still impressive.

His ability to be a good fit through the entire lineup gives us so much flexibility and depth. We can shuffle the lines depending on the kind of team we're facing, and still be solid throughout.

My favorite part about his game last night was his refusal to fight bissonette, it shows he wants to be more than just a goon/3rd/4th liner, he wanted to show that he's more than just a guy who drops the gloves, and a maturity beyond that of someone like Beach, who would have fought to try to impress the brass in his first game. It quells some of my fears for sure.

Long term, cody will still be the better player, but at least we didn't just get another version of Beach in return, we got something in the middle/closer to cody. I hope Kass keeps it up and continues to improve. it would be nice to see him evolve into a bert type player (maybe with a nicer demeanour/no controversy)

Man Kesler should watch this video on how to break into the middle and snap a shot past the D-man.... I can't count how many times Kes tries this and it gets deflected away or knocked over the glass or misses the net entirely.. Kes is the MAN! but god dam I love seeing this shot work!

One thing that stuck out to me that I didn't think I'd notice with Kassian was his passing/playmaking ability. It wasn't Cody-like but he seemed like he could make some things happen in the offensive zone.

i was quite impressed with his first game he didnt seem out of place at all maybe he could be the set up man for Booth and Kesler if they develop some chemistry look out!

I was very impressed with his first game. He displayed some of his playmaking ability last night which was very promising. If he ever moved up to the 2nd line permanently then this will be useful with two lesser playmakers in Kesler and Booth.

Would still love to see a line of Higgins Kesler and Kassian. Perfect mix of everything you would want in a line. Grit, balance, size and speed. Higgins is a very smart player who can make some nifty passes as well.

He has ton of skill, these are just some of the things he can do from this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUsBzog2T4U

Overally I'm just totally excited about this kid and hope he can be consistent.

Any of you guys think MG is considering sending Kassian down next year so he can develop better, or guys think he's gonna stay up here? I personally think he'll get sent down next season and called up after 20 games then stay with the team.......when MG made the trade and reporters asked about Kassian, he said something along the lines of 'he'll be on the team for now'.

Idk. You could argue that he doesnt need the AHL. All be it a small sample size, but in his first 30 games in the AHL he was scoring at a 40+goal clip and was near ppg. Thats better numbers than Hodgson or Schroeder had or have in the AHL. Plus his size allows him to be effective on the 3rd of 4th line RIGHT now, so even if he's not scoring he'll still have a spot on the roster barring unforseen circumstances.

Any of you guys think MG is considering sending Kassian down next year so he can develop better, or guys think he's gonna stay up here? I personally think he'll get sent down next season and called up after 20 games then stay with the team.......when MG made the trade and reporters asked about Kassian, he said something along the lines of 'he'll be on the team for now'.

I highly doubt Kass is sent down. Unless something really bad happens. I see him being an important piece in the playoffs and developing offensively in the NHL next year.

Cody needed a bit more time in the AHL because he wasn't scoring at Kassian's pace. (Pace for 40 goals, 70 points).

Archived