The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Favorite Rock album from the 90s? Favorite lead singer?

whcanuck

Earlier, I created a post about my favorite era of rock music, the Seattle scene of the 1990s. It's gotten a really great discussion going about favorite bands from that era. Now I'd like to get a discussion going about what people think the best rock album (preferably alternative) was from that era. And who their favorite lead singer was?

My favorite album: Nirvana's Nevermind gets a slight edge over Pearl Jam's Ten

Favorite Lead singer: Tie between Layne Staley of Alice in Chains and Eddie Vedder from Pearl Jam

Let the discussion begin!

Chris Cornell #1 by a mile (in his prime ie: Badmotorfiner)

Layne Staley #2 by a mile ahead of everyone else.

Best album of the 90's?

Take your pick:

Badmotorfiner, Dirt, Nevermind, Blood Sugar Sex Magik, Ten, Metallica (album)

I don't know what my favourite RATM album would be...

Chris Cornell #1 by a mile (in his prime ie: Badmotorfiner)

Layne Staley #2 by a mile ahead of everyone else.

Best album of the 90's?

Take your pick:

Badmotorfiner, Dirt, Nevermind, Blood Sugar Sex Magik, Ten, Metallica (album)

Album: Sublime- 40oz to Freedom

Honarable Mentions that haven't been mentioned:

Janes Addiction-Ritual De Lo Habitual, Alice in Chains-Dirt, Tool-Undertow, Blind Melon-Soup, Beastie Boys-Check Your Head

Singer would be Brad Nowell

HM- Shannon Hoon, Chris Cornell, Layne Staley, Scott Weiland

i really hate a lot of that 90s grungy stuff like pearl jam, soundgarden and alice in chains and nirvana and stuff.

my favourite "rock" artists of the 90s are Radiohead, The Flaming Lips, Elliott Smith, Modest Mouse, My Bloody Valentine, Neutral Milk Hotel, Portishead, RATM, RHCP. each of those bands released at least one AMAZING album in the 90s.

favourite lead singer is definitely Thom Yorke

Favorite Rock album has to be Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. What a masterpiece of music from Dawn to Dusk to Twilight to Starlight. The demos and unreleased tracks for the album's sessions are solid too.

Favorite lead singeris tough, there were so many in the '90's. Ian Thornley from Big Wreck, their first album 'In Loving Memory Of' came out in '97 so I'm stickin' with the Canadian lad.

As much as I love Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam. I know that Chris Cornell and Layne Staley are way better singers in their own way, hitting high notes. Ed is a baritone singer, I love hearing that booming voice. Jerry Cantrell isn't a lead singer but his harmonies with Layne are incredible.

Cornell - Loud Love, Jesus Christ Pose, Pretty Noose, Ty Cobb

Staley - I Stay Away, Nutshell

Staley + Cantrell - Down In A Hole, Man In The Box, Would?

Vedder - Jeremy, Black, Go, Indifference, Tremor Christ, Lukin, Present Tense, No Way, Sleight of Hand (this last one was released in 2000)

Cornell + Vedder - Hunger Strike (from Temple of the Dog)

Answer to both:

1992+-+Bone+Machine%253B.jpg

This thread could be "Favorite Rock album of all time? Favorite lead singer ever? ...answer wouldn't change.

But for those with tunnel vision, who don't think that is "Rock enough" (despite it winning the grammy for best Alternative album of 1992), then I guess The Bends and Thom Yorke would be my next choice.

Archived