The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Favorite Rock album from the 90s? Favorite lead singer?

whcanuck

Is there anything from this current era that you could describe as legendary?

Even if there are some good musicians playing a well written and constructed song with good notes, beat and instrumental mastery, chances are, there are umpteen billion others posting something similar in concept, sound, style and skill level posting their work onto YouTube.

Anyways, that is the impression I get. Maybe time will prove me wrong, but I highly doubt it.

if you guys don't listen to new music outside of the mainstream that's your call, but don't label everything new as uncreative and unmemorable just because you haven't taken the time to find new music that suits your taste.

the music being produced right now is as good as any period in history. with the huge world population and incredible technology, how could it not be? because this new generation lacks soul? because all the good ideas have already been used? come on, these points are so ridiculous.

maybe some of the new styles aren't to your tastes. try others! maybe you're stuck in the past and afraid of change. hey, i don't like anything on pop/rock radio stations either!

but there is so much amazing music out there right now. if you really feel like there's a "bad music epidemic" or whatever, i feel bad that you're so closed minded and blinded by nostalgia.

It's silly to label something as legendary that was made within the last 10 years. You need enough time to see if the work will pale with changing tastes, or flourish and distinguish itself.

Likewise, it's also ridiculous to insist that there hasn't been music within the last 10 years that will become legendary.

I can name a number of songs and albums that I expect will stand up, but we'll have to wait and see.

I will say this: Two Weeks, by Grizzly Bear, is as legendary of song IMO as anything I've heard. I listen to that song at least a few times every month since it came out (in 2009), and it still gets better every time. Also, no other bands/songs managed to capture something similar, so it stands as something pristine and unique.

---------------------------------

In the past, much of what people listened to was determined by a radio/TV playlist. Individual choice was limited by expensive prices ($20 for a CD, in 1990 dollars?). The ability to discover and enjoy the full depth of your own musical tastes was limited.

But now, with legions of youth carrying around extensive musical libraries in their pocket, possibly all acquired without cost, every person is free to roam the musical landscape. And the technology to record well-produced music is cheaper than ever, and ability to market yourself independantly has been increased a billion-fold with the internet, so truly talented individuals are no longer under the oppression of the recording industry dinosaur.

Consensus over quality of modern music is becoming more and more rare. It's all about personal preference and taste - as it should be.

I didn't say I don't listen to this generation's music, GLASSJAW, I said I find it difficult. There are some catchy beats around but, as I said, I don't yet fully understand how the music is made.

As a musician, I am intrigued by how music is recorded and played live. I see fewer traditional instruments and more loops, oscillators and computer software (Garage Band, Logic, etc) being used. I am familiarizing myself with this stuff through playing with it at the school I teach at (my colleague and best friend is the Music teacher) and at home.

At no time in my post did I mention that "technical virtuosity is the be all and end all" of music. To me, the spaces between the notes are just as important as the notes being played. Many times, simple is better.

The Beatles, Stones and Zep are all great bands who covered an re-interpreted the music of others. There is nothing wrong with that, especially when they gave credit to the original artists on their record sleeves and labels most of the time. Covering music is great, as long as credit is given where it is due.

Your comment about keys (keyboards, piano, mellotron, Hammond) seems quite uninformed. Most "rock" bands in the 70's used keys at some point or another. While not being laughed at, Zep, the Stones, the Beatles, Deep Purple, Chicago all used keys with great success.

The Prog scene, which actually started in the late 60's, had some wonderfully talented, long-lasting bands like Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, Uriah Heep, Jethro Tull, Frank Zappa and Emerson, Lake and Palmer, to name just a few. Bands like Rush, Coheed and Cambria, Porcupine Tree, Tool, Peter Gabriel (solo), Iron Maiden, Marillion and Dream Theatre have kept things going until today. The Beatles (Sgt. Peppers...) and The Beach Boys (Pet Sounds) have been named as forefathers to the Prog movement.

:towel::canucks:

Archived