The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Up To 70% Of Ground Beef Sold In Stores Contains 'pink Slime'

key2thecup

• 3 weeks later...

http://money.ca.msn....ng-pink-slime-1

AFA Foods files for bankruptcy citing 'pink slime'

NEW YORK, N.Y. - Beef products company AFA Foods says it's filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection and selling its assets as a result of the recent media coverage of "pink slime."

AFA says the media coverage of the ammonia-treated filler has led to "changes in the market" for its ground beef products.

The company, based in King of Prussia, Pa., says it secured $56 million in financing from its lenders to fund operations and expects to continue providing customers with ground beef products throughout the process.

The company says it hopes to maintain as many of its supplier relationships as possible with its foodservice and retail companies.

We should forego an investigation on the conservative party for their robocall scandal because some conservatives dispelled this rumour ages ago.. yep that sure works.

100% beef in a market sense may not mean it's beef in the way the average consumer wants it, and I'm pretty sure if you want to know this type of info the last company you'd ask is one which is involved in it's sale or distribution.

So? That's trivial, to say the least, when the real concern lies in how much crap comes in what the market calls "100% Beef" as in "one hundred percent beef", not merely a company name but concerning the content people ingest.

As far as the US goes:

http://www.toledobla...ime-lesson.html

The main concern that rightfully should be here in Canada is what the market's definition of "one hundred percent beef" really is. Obviously in the US that definition did not mean "one hundred percent" of generally consumed (by humans) beef, but included portions of a cow that are thrown away (because they have no nutritional value and are toxic, necessitating the ammonia based solution, along with other chemicals) or turned into dog food, which is people knew was so highly prevalent, they'd not eat.. hence the beef market there took an enormous hit when people found out.

It would be great if people would voluntarily inform themselves about the things they consume.

Do I really need to "inform" myself to figure out they put anus in ground beef and hot dogs. If the meat was presentable meat, then people would eat is as a steak. So no, ground beef is not "quality" meat. It's random bits of leftovers that have been ground up...we all know that.

The issue, however, was does McDonalds have a company called 100% beef, that allows them to put in meat from other animals and fillers. The answer is no. The truth is the ground beef at McDonalds is no worse than any other ground beef. Well, maybe it's better. McDonalds has outlawed pink slim, while other ground beef still contains it.

Most of the companies listed as selling ground peef with pink slime in it, in grocery stores, themselves, or via suppliers, have pulled it. Hence bankruptcies of late.

No one needs an education on where certain cuts come from on the body of a cow, that's not the issue whatsoever here. The issue is that butchers usually dispose of parts of a cut that aren't nutritious or consumed by people because their stomachs have trouble digesting it. I used to help my dad out with this myself, so I'm very familiarized with it. Rather than throwing it away or feeding it to dogs as per the usual they decided to use that and place it in ground beef shipped to supermarkets and fast food and call it "100% ground beef" which evidently is an untrustworthy gimmick rather than a literal statement. This is obviously has represented a problem, which necessitates rightful outrage. If someone doesn't care, then oh well, don't care. I do.

The last time I lived in the US (before moving back here indefinitely) I'm sure I bought some of this stuff from supermarkets, but if I knew of this, I wouldn't have bought it. And even though every beef supplier, fast food restaurant, and supermarket in Canada so far says the same thing as the US did about 100% beef, I'm sceptical and hope some valid third party answers come soon.

I make my own hamburger from the trimmings left over from carving up a sirloin. (Even if you take the whole sirloin tip you can get at costco and grind the whole thing into hamburger it's still cheaper than simply buying hamburger).

Only problem is if I want to make hamburgers the bindability is not so good!

I make my own hamburger from the trimmings left over from carving up a sirloin. (Even if you take the whole sirloin tip you can get at costco and grind the whole thing into hamburger it's still cheaper than simply buying hamburger).

Only problem is if I want to make hamburgers the bindability is not so good!

Archived