The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Clb Trading 1St Overall Pick *source

Is Nail a center?

Do you think that CBJ is going after another goalie? I think Schneider is more what they are looking for, but I doubt it will happen. They may give Steve Mason one more year to prove himself, but that may also not happen. Instead of going with another rookie goaltender, they will look for a young goalie that is still somewhat proven in the NHL. Uh, Corey?

• 2 weeks later...

Do people still not understand that Luongo cannot be traded because of his contract and the clause?

You're overvaluing Schneider if you think the 1st overall pick isn't worth it. Realistically, this wouldn't happen because 1st overall > Schneider. We'd likely have to throw in more to land it, and even then it'll be pretty tough. CBJ is rebuilding, they'll want a lot for their 1st.

Do people still not understand that Luongo cannot be traded because of his contract and the clause?

You're overvaluing Schneider if you think the 1st overall pick isn't worth it. Realistically, this wouldn't happen because 1st overall > Schneider. We'd likely have to throw in more to land it, and even then it'll be pretty tough. CBJ is rebuilding, they'll want a lot for their 1st.

.....and superdumo...if Luongo is unhappy or wants a change of scenery...he very well request a trade...a no trade clause can be manipulated...if Schneider won the starting position, my guess is Lou would want to go to a team where he was number one,

Not only does Lou feel great pressure playing in Vancouver...he feels Cory breathing down his neck....Lou knows that Cory is outplaying him...the stats reflect this.

Cory sees more shots per game..has a better GOA and SP...Lou is going backwards. Maybe its you that doesn't get it !!

I thought we had too many offensively skilled players already? How could people justify trading for essentially Yakupov? If we could theoretically get him, where would he fit? I do not see him ever meshing with the Sedins.

It'd be more efficient to adress our real problem of a more solid defensive lineup. In that case, I would consider a player like Dumba.

Plus, we would not have to give up so much. As well, it would make more sense, that way we could potentially fill Sami Salo's spot on that D pairing, if a top 10 D-man pick impressed Gillis enough to stay in the bigs (which I doubt would EVER happen).

I think everyone is forgetting that there is always somebody in every draft that is projected to be the next this or that I suppose there will be only way to see if Yakupov is the next Ovechkin or Malkin, that'll be at the end of the next season.

It is hard to see giving Schneids up for anything really, it will be very interesting to see if he is traded or not, and where Gillis' direction is in this years off-season.

If Schneids is traded, I'd like to see Benjamin Conz get signed and let him dominate the AHL, with Eddie as Luo's Backup. Love Conz, great tendy.

No way Columbus would trade out of the top 5. If Vancouver were to trade for the 1st overall, it would take Vancouver's 1st, Schneider, Edler, at the very least.

And people here need to stop with the "insert superstar name for Ballard, Raymond, and 1st." For the last 2 seasons, Raymond and Ballard's worth has plummeted, they have negative value. Not only that, because Raymond has played below expectations, he'll likely be re-signed by the Canucks for at least a million less per year than what he is currently getting. Raymond is actually a benefit to the Canucks after this season due to his terrible play the past few years.

Columbus trades Rick Nash @ the draft for boatload of picks and prospects. Lets say 2 first rounders in the package.

Then,

Schneider

1st 2012

for

Ryan Johansen

1st 2012 (LA, or any other pick that they acquired through Nash deal) BUT NOT their 1st

Reasoning:

Ryan Johansen is a Vancouver kid. He is a very good hockey player and has an even +/- rating (or -1 now) on an overall - team. He gets almost no playing time...even worse than what Cody Had here. In his last 5 games, he's been getting like 8:20 minutes a game...Yet, he has put up 18 points, and he just turned 19.

Since being drafted, Johansen has grown to 6'3 and is now 203 pounds. He has very good vision, and doesnt shy away from confrontation, although he's no rough guy by any means. Draws comparisons to Getzlaf and Thornton, and is widely believed to become a number 1center in the not too distant future. Plays a solid 2 way game as well (indicated by +/- since he's on a god awful team).

Johansen-Kassian would be our build for the future, with Schroeder-Jensen coming up as well.

The other pick we would receive would be in the 15-20 range, where the skill drop off in this years draft isnt that extreme. We could always make another package for a 10-15 pick by adding our second or so.

Columbus gains their starting goalie of the future, and could have a potentially sick duo in Schneider-Mason. Obviously Schneider will be the starter, but maybe his presence will jump start Mason, and he'll regain his calder form. This would leave them with 2 young goalies, allowing them to trade Mason elsewhere in the future for even more cup board re-stocking items.

They acquire our draft pick which doesnt hurt. They give up Johansen, but he isnt exactly meshing perfectly there, and they get Schneider whose way more proven, along with a bunch of prospects from the Nash deal, and their 1st overall...

Yakupov

Schneider

1st round pick (vancouver)

1st round pick (nash trade)

1st round pick (nash trade/LA Carter deal)

That is a very solid off season for CBJ, and they will be well into their rebuild.

Us:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Higgins

Schroeder-Johansen-Kassian---Our version of the kid line.

Lapierre-Malhotra-Hansen

in a few years:

-jensen will make the jump

-1st rounder from Schneider trade

-future 1st rounders

very solid. Thoughts?

You could've quoted me so that I could see your reply. And he cannot request for a trade until 2 years later, as per his contract. Luongo has stated that he loves playing in Vancouver, and has the best chances of winning a Cup here (and we all know it). The only places where he would want to go would be Montreal, or Tampa/Florida for his wife.

And no, they have been pretty equal all year. If Cory was playing better, he'd be the starter. Lu has been the better goalie for us down the stretch, even though he's hit a slump.

You still don't understand how his contract works. It will take a LOT before Lu gets traded in the next few years, and is very unlikely. Schneider is our biggest asset, and we can address areas on this team that are lacking by trading him.

Pretty sure theirs an out clause somewhere in it in the next little while. Also, if a MG ever asked Lu to waive it, he would just for the fact he asked in the first place. But I don't think MG would ever do this.

Getting Yakupov would make giving up Schneider alot easier to take. Remember how exciting it was to watch the Canucks during the Bure era? Well, the Yakupov era could be as amazing or even better. As good as Schneider would be for Columbus, we would have a dominant young talent here in Vancouver for the next decade and longer. It would be a good move on MG's part if he could pull it off. Columbus has to REALLY want Schneider though to make it happen and I have a feeling they do. Keep our fingers crossed.

Archived