The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Less Gumption Than A Napkin

goal-ghost

Predictable Gallagher - if his article was scribbled on a napkin, that napkin would have been put to better use wiping the traces of a cheeseburger off the entry or exit hole...

Perhaps he'd like to jump ship to one of the other top teams in the NHL - Boston, Detroit, the Rangers - all of whom are laying regular eggs.

Read between the lines - Gallagher is not over the Hodgson trade - he would have tied in his re-Neely theory if Hodgson had done anything at all since going to Buffalo, but Hodgson has given him no grounds, so he has reverted to his traditional "this team is not good enough for me" thing that he does -it is sad and predictable, but at least "the ironing is delicious" - he is Vancouver's biggest whiner, and isn't a very good journalist. I look forward to the day Sportsnet fills the space between periods with someone else's perspective.

Almost worth putting in a request to Mark Spector for an "Open letter to Tony Gallagher"...

no, i wouldn't prefer that. nor was it insinuated.

what i would prefer is less sensationalism in a major reporting editorial. this is a very good hockey team that hasn't been playing very well of late. that's no secret. the unaware reading this column would think we're talking about the blue jackets' season.

passive aggressive referrals to the sedins as "alleged" stars seem very dramatic to me. not to mention suggesting this team should be embarrassed (though i suppose i just mentioned it)

Firstly, I am NOT a Tony Galagher fan. However, I simply cannot disagree with his assessment of the Canucks situation they find themselves in after the Montreal game. To be honest and brief, the Canucks have looked and played completely uninterested hockey for the past month. They had best get their game faces on soon, or they will be gone in the first round, regardless of what team they meet. The rest of the NHL, and I mean "every team" has now figured out the Sedins and this spells problems for this organization moving forward. I love the Canucks and am a long time fan, but I have a hard time believing "this" is a Stanley Cup contender (what I currently see on the ice).

Firstly, I am NOT a Tony Galagher fan. However, I simply cannot disagree with his assessment of the Canucks situation they find themselves in after the Montreal game. To be honest and brief, the Canucks have looked and played completely uninterested hockey for the past month. They had best get their game faces on soon, or they will be gone in the first round, regardless of what team they meet. The rest of the NHL, and I mean "every team" has now figured out the Sedins and this spells problems for this organization moving forward. I love the Canucks and am a long time fan, but I have a hard time believing "this" is a Stanley Cup contender (what I currently see on the ice).

The rest of the league must have figured out the other Stanley Cup contenders as well - Boston has been far worse, the Rangers have laid regular eggs, Detroit got pounded by the Habs and are equally in coast mode - and San Jose, the other Western Conference finalist last year - well all the whiner Canucks fans are welcome to jump ship to San Jose if they want.

All the panic and nay-saying is one big waste of time and energy.

Note that the columnists DO NOT write the headlines. Although Tony does mention napkins in his column. And after watching that sorry excuse for a game, it's had to dispute his statements.

If you want suck up journalists and broadcasters amybe you should move elsewhere.

I do agree with his assertion that a first round exit is not out of the question...

If the playoffs started today and we got, either PHX, LA, CHI, DAL, a first round exit is not out of the realm of possibility, a borderline toss-up.

One thing teams like Det, and Van have going for them is that IMO I beileve lesser oponents can almost feel defeated before the series begins.

However if the play continues in this fashion an inverse notion will develop, with opponents beileving that Canucks are an inferior team and victory is likely.

Do i think the nucks will right the ship? yes, i sure hope they figure this out soon!

No matter how much you guys don't like it, he's right. He's absolutely not a fairweather fan for telling it like it is. It's just that some of our fans' defense mechanism for when people are truthfully critical is to call them a "bandwagoner" or "fairweather fan". Sometimes Gallagher can get melodramatic and go a little overboard but there wasn't a hint of fallacy with this article. The Canucks DID crumble like a paper napkin against the East's worst teams and the Sedins and Burrows were again no shows. Just suck it up and admit it! By the way, that same team the Canucks just took it from is notoriously ridiculed for being small and soft, even by US. So what does that say about the Canucks?

This team knows what it takes to get to the final. If sub consciously they're laying off the throttle now then fine. They know they ll have to step it up in the playoffs.

The whole work comparison is a tenuous one. Do you play a professional sport? Do you work 9 months a year to win one prize? Do reporters write and question everything you do?

You can hardly say TG doesn't deserve to be part of any celebration. He's enthusiastic about the Canucks when they are doing well, and he has the guts to tell it like it is, when they aren't. Seriously, do you think the losers that 'celebrated' last year would be preferable to someone who really CARES about the team?

All those other teams listed, who are also doing poorly right now, probably have the same fussing on their boards. It's only natural to notice most when it's YOUR team playing like crap.

Is TG really saying anything differently than we see posted daily, multiple times in many cases, about the same issues?

trade Luongo

bring back Erhoff / Hodgson / whoever

put so-and-so on this or that line

play him with him

separate the twins

ad nauseam

Archived