The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Less Gumption Than A Napkin

goal-ghost

You can hardly say TG doesn't deserve to be part of any celebration. He's enthusiastic about the Canucks when they are doing well, and he has the guts to tell it like it is, when they aren't. Seriously, do you think the losers that 'celebrated' last year would be preferable to someone who really CARES about the team?

All those other teams listed, who are also doing poorly right now, probably have the same fussing on their boards. It's only natural to notice most when it's YOUR team playing like crap.

Is TG really saying anything differently than we see posted daily, multiple times in many cases, about the same issues?

trade Luongo

bring back Erhoff / Hodgson / whoever

put so-and-so on this or that line

play him with him

separate the twins

ad nauseam

The rest of the league must have figured out the other Stanley Cup contenders as well - Boston has been far worse, the Rangers have laid regular eggs, Detroit got pounded by the Habs and are equally in coast mode - and San Jose, the other Western Conference finalist last year - well all the whiner Canucks fans are welcome to jump ship to San Jose if they want.

All the panic and nay-saying is one big waste of time and energy.

Comparing the Canucks to other teams that are struggling doesnt make the article any less accurate.

And there is definitely no guarantee the teams you mentioned will turn it around in time for the playoffs.

Early round upsets are fairly common.

it blows me away that some people think that abusing and deriding and downright insulting people is the best way to get them to perform better and bring out the best in them  .i thought the australian press was the worst for abusing our athletes when they did not perform to peoples expectations , but this guy takes it to another level.some of his comments show him to be be a spiteful , nasty little man .would any one on these boards like to be spoken to , or had things written like that about them , when they did not live up to the people around them expectations , i know i would not ,and it would certainly not inspire me to raise my game .

What in the article do people not agree with? I'm puzzled, as Tony seems to make valid points throughout. He sounds frustrated, sure, but so am I. I know this team is capable of so much more than they've been giving lately. It was an honest evaluation of where the team sits in the last several games, and if you're angry about it perhaps it's not due to the lack of truth so much as a knee-jerk reaction to criticism. I love the Canucks, but I know that the boys aren't doing what they can do. There's no way they should have lost to the Habs - before sitting down to that sad display I found the idea ludicrous. Our top players have been invisible when we're not noticing them being pushed around, our defense has been shaky, our line changes have been sloppy and uncoordinated.

Last season we didn't fizzle out like this. "Not sure exactly how this plays out, but when you watch this you realize a first-round exit is not out of the question." If last season - with such a strong, first place finish - they had to fight tooth-and-nail to get to the finals, how much harder will it be when they flop into the playoffs in third place? They need to go into the playoff run with strong legs and hearts, not limping. They need their game faces on. Something needs to change.

CDC needs to realize that one can be critical of someone/something one loves. So in all support, I lovingly ask my favorite team to play with heart and passion and skill.

They are professionals, after all.

it blows me away that some people think that abusing and deriding and downright insulting people is the best way to get them to perform better and bring out the best in them .i thought the australian press was the worst for abusing our athletes when they did not perform to peoples expectations , but this guy takes it to another level.some of his comments show him to be be a spiteful , nasty little man .would any one on these boards like to be spoken to , or had things written like that about them , when they did not live up to the people around them expectations , i know i would not ,and it would certainly not inspire me to raise my game .

it does not matter what it is , how would you feel if things like that were written about you , how would your loved ones feel reading that .do you think the author of that article would say that to the players faces , i certainly do not .mock me all you like it is water off a ducks back . i like to treat people the way i want to be treated myself , and i would not want to be spoken to or about , in that way

ehhhhh tonys all over the place ,i see his view and mood of the team switch just like any fan when times go from good to bad

but to say "Not sure exactly how this plays out, but when you watch this you realize a first-round exit is not out of the question"

cmon tony , a first round exit isnt out of the question for any team

Tony Gallagher is an embarassment. It's not just this article. I think we all know and agree the Canucks are playing nowhere near their potential right now. But instead of analyzing why, or offering solutions to their current slump, Tony just whines and complains about it. He doesn't seem to have very much logic, sense, or hockey knowledge. He really likes to complain and overreact to a lot of things.

I wish newspapers would be more like TV, and hire writers that have more first hand, in depth knowledge of the game. Maybe the writing skills wouldn't be as good, but the information would be superior. Otherwise you get guys like Tony, who isn't any more knowledgable than the average fan.

Imagine,a writer that has the guts to tell it like it is and the historical relevance to make a light read of a bunch of bumbling,disinterested multimillionaires.It really has been pathetic.

Watching Alex Edler and Kevin Bieksa play Saturday night was absolutely hilarious, and surely reminds the Vancouver fan of the famous Harry Neale line whereby he claimed to overhear Harold Snepsts and Colin Campbell having a discussion on the bench during a game.

The way Neale tells the story, one said to the other: "Let's change it up next shift, this time you give the puck away and I'll fall down."

ehhhhh tonys all over the place ,i see his view and mood of the team switch just like any fan when times go from good to bad

but to say "Not sure exactly how this plays out, but when you watch this you realize a first-round exit is not out of the question"

cmon tony , a first round exit isnt out of the question for any team

especially not this one....

A colorful metaphor I guess, but I think hes only referring to the way they have been playing recently.

I dont take it to mean he thinks the season is already over.

He does go a bit overboard with the snideness though.

Thats a strange thing to say, my guess is that hes talking about how the team has crumbled in the past when Lou lets in a bad goal. Its happened enough times.

this sort of boo hoo attitude is at the core of what's wrong with this team.

boo hoo everybody hates us.

boo hoo everybody takes liberties with us.

boo hoo the refs aren't making the calls.

boo hoo nobody sticks up for us.

boo hoo the other team won't roll over for us.

boo hoo we have to play hard to win.

boo hoo [fill in the blank]

Archived