The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Less Gumption Than A Napkin

goal-ghost

<p>

The rest of the league must have figured out the other Stanley Cup contenders as well - Boston has been far worse, the Rangers have laid regular eggs, Detroit got pounded by the Habs and are equally in coast mode - and San Jose, the other Western Conference finalist last year - well all the whiner Canucks fans are welcome to jump ship to San Jose if they want.

All the panic and nay-saying is one big waste of time and energy.

<p>

It's not about work ethic. Let's put it this way. If you have heaps of tedious, unimportant, paperwork to do and put in 50% effort (meaningless regular season game) to conserve energy for the big merger about to happen (playoffs) that will make the company the biggest in it's industry and take them to the top (Stanley Cup) then I'm sure you'd not only have a job but your boss would probably be encouraging you.

It's not about work ethic. Let's put it this way. If you have heaps of tedious, unimportant, paperwork to do and put in 50% effort (meaningless regular season game) to conserve energy for the big merger about to happen (playoffs) that will make the company the biggest in it's industry and take them to the top (Stanley Cup) then I'm sure you'd not only have a job but your boss would probably be encouraging you.

it does not matter what it is , how would you feel if things like that were written about you , how would your loved ones feel reading that .do you think the author of that article would say that to the players faces , i certainly do not .mock me all you like it is water off a ducks back . i like to treat people the way i want to be treated myself , and i would not want to be spoken to or about , in that way

<p>

That logic is laced in BS and you know it. It is called professional pride; the personal decision to do the best at your job. It is also called integrity or loyalty. You had better read up on how managers evaluate 50% effort being put forth by their employees. What you may believe is unimportant paperwork may just be the important criteria being used to dismiss you from your job. I look at it this way, if the paper work is unimportant than why does the boss what you to do the unimportant paper work in the first place? I suppose it is based on what some feel is unimportant and others feels is important.

Top of the league

Canucks expectations

Canucks performance

Middle of the league

Blue Jackets expectations

Bottom of the league

Blue Jackets performance

My point is the fans, the media and even the Canucks rate themselves to a higher standard than the equivalent in Columbus. We should expect more and be a little harder on them when their performance rates lower than what we know they are capable of. Gallagher can definitely be over the top in the pessimistic department, but he's right about our chances in the playoffs if we think this is good enough.

Gallagher' sage advice is required again.

This guy named Lindy Ruff - he obviously doesn't know that much about hockey, or how to utilize his young players; in this case, his new star rookie center. I think, I mean I know what he is messing with - I've seen this before - he simply doesn't want to go there, so I was thinking Tony might write a few thoughts down on a napkin, and publish them so Lindy knows what to do, cause once you start mishandling a young star, I mean you don't want to do that. Tony knows what kind of fire Ruff is playing with there - and could probably really help the situation.

Tony, before another ice-time controversy breaks out, you really should write one of your informative articles..

There is a young centre in Buffalo - who only got 11:07 of ice time last night. I mean, that is not enough. He peaked at 21:48 of ice time the previous game, but didn't record a shot in the last two games, and already, his ice time has dipped. I mean, he has been a minus player in five straight games and doesn't have a point yet as a Sabre, but this guy Ruff must be using him in the wrong situations or not creating the right circumstances for him to be successful. Putting him on the top lines is just not fair to the young guy - it makes him face the other team's best defensmen, and the extra time gives him more defensive matchup problems. I just thought Tony might like to take the opportunity to, you know, help them out, call this Ruff guy out, or whatever, you know, work your expertise.

<p>As a critic of what some others feel here, what is your account on why the Canucks have not been so successful in the win column. We would not want to consider it "$hitty play of late", that would not be politically correct here to some fans. So what is your take on the teams "lack of desire to succeed"?

I still stand by the fact that you don't burn your guys (athletes or workers) out days/weeks before something very important. Do you think your boss would have you work 12 hour days 6 days a week if something VERY important is coming up (merger in above example/Stanley Cup playoffs)? No, he'd probably lighten your load and have you rested up for the important stuff. The Canucks are still doing all the work. They still go to practices, they still play games, they're just not putting in 100% effort. I'm okay with this as these aren't the games that matter and they're getting the chance to physically and mentally rest up.

You can't put in 100%, 100% of the time. You burn yourself out and I think St Louis will be hard pressed to keep that level up come deep into the playoffs and especially next season. In fact I'd be willing to bet they don't repeat as possible President's Trophy/Division winners next season. The Canucks on the other hand are expected/built to be contendors every year.

Archived