The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

People Bashing What Ehrhoff Said + Why I Want Him Back

Ugli Fruit

He left an organization that was one win away from winning it all. He left us for Buffalo, a team that hasn't made it to the Cup since 1999. We have 2 back to back Art Ross winners, 1 Selke and a team full of experienced veterans. He didn't leave for the Cup, he left for the sake of the contract. Also, he rejected an offer from Islanders, just like how most players would, due to bad management and bad ownership.

OMG, the OP is correct. The Canucks will never win the Cup until they take on Ehrhoff's $4 million per year cap hit contract for the next 8 years (or so)!

I suggest Gillis trade Edler to Buffalo to get Ehrhoff back here... and maybe throw in Schneider.

regards,

G.

Yeah so? Edler should have been sitting with a broken thumb, Kesler should have been having hip surgery, etc. Injuries are a way of life for the pro hockey player, they have to be able to play through them while maintaining a high level of play. Although not very many of them did in the finals, Ehrhoff's play seemed to be the worst out of the entire team IMO.

OMG, the OP is correct. The Canucks will never win the Cup until they take on Ehrhoff's $4 million per year cap hit contract for the next 8 years (or so)!

I suggest Gillis trade Edler to Buffalo to get Ehrhoff back here... and maybe throw in Schneider.

regards,

G.

i have no interest in ehrhoff, the way he just ran after the money was a opinion changer!!!

gillis was still offering you good money, you blind idiot!!!

you should be lucky you are playing in the NHL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i just wish gillis would have replaced ehrhoff somewhere along the line....but that ship has sailed

A standard statement from a UFA when going to a new team. Wether it is Columbus or Vancouver a UFA is going to say this is a chance to win a Stanley cup. Cliches in hockey are as common as farts in a bathroom.

I have never been upset with Hoff. He has worked hard his entire life for that contract and you can bet that anyone of his haters would gladly move across the continent for that sum of money. But any time you have a player chose money over the team, there are going to be haters....that's just how it works.

And I miss him too.

Pretty shrewd overall post; yes caving to full market value would be hard to explain to the Twins, Burrows (in particular) and others.

But Erhoff's statement, while a little shortsighted, in context was probably how he felt. Buffalo's new owner personally got involved in discussions & showed emotional attachment. The owner had authorized changes & not just empowered, but mandated, that the team make aggressive moves to improve. They did not just pick up Erhoff, they also lured other "attractive" free agents in one fell swoop. Combined with his personal appeal to Christian, I am sure it felt as a team ready to make that step.

They also have learned, and quickly, that the old New York Ranger (lesser extent Toronto) approach of buying a good team does not work unless you have the bankroll of the Yankee's. So having tried that first, Buffalo are much more quickly looking at ways of managing their assets.

As a side note; even Sather and the Rangers have stopped panic buying of contracts & turned to internal excellence as the best measure to improve.

Our owners have made a similar commitment, personified through both MG and institutional changes (private airplane, sleep doctors, top flight facilities) to improve. And they have been at it longer, but also remained at a birds eye distance (not taking the media spotlight). Buffalo will likely continue to improve. Buffalo was simply a bit shocked that it's not quite as easy to make the jump as they thought?

They were still smart enough to step back & steal one of our best talents... :unsure:

I think it was a stupid comment. Yes, I thought the Sabres would be good this year. But I didn't expect them to contend. They would have needed career bests from a lot of key players in order to have the talent and depth necessary for a deep run.

Let's assume that - in addition to Buffalo - at least Vancouver and one other team (I'm think Detroit) had a lot of interest in Ehrhoff. Given that, Buffalo was certainly not the best team available to Ehrhoff. So either he was creative with his words or was very stupid.

On your other point, I would also like Buffalo back. Obviously, he's a good player. But I still think it was necessary for MG to let him walk rather than compromise the team's internal cap structure. It would be not only unfair but also stupid to demand players take discounts to stay and then break from that stance for the first guy who demands open market value.

It would be unfair to the current core guys who took discounts. It would be a slap in the face to them. And that could cause chemistry issues.

And it would be stupid as it would give Gillis no leverage in future negotiations. Giving into Ehrhoff's demands would have set a higher internal cap. If MG gave into Ehrhoff, it would make it more likely that future impending free agents would demand market value or walk. Assuming Gillis wouldn't have done a 10-year deal, I bet it would've taken roughly 5.5M over 5 years to keep Ehrhoff. If MG gave him that contract, then what do you think Edler would be clamouring for in a year?

Canucks gambled by not having a PP man that was effective.

They lost.

Christian did what every lawyered up GM in the league does and that is moneyball his career.

Hockey is big business.Expect some players to figure it out and act accordingly.

Archived