The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Christians Reconcile Their Personal Political Views And The Teachings Of Their Faith:

People always reflect their own beliefs upon their religious icons... that should be no surprise. It's how they can reconcile themselves that they would be 'good' in the eyes of their deity.

What would be interesting would be to hear what the living Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha and Abraham, et al. would really say about the practices of their advocates today. I am certain it would be far more shocking to most of them than it would be to myself.

Contemporary Jesus?!? That's a laughable concept in and of itself.....as in, what would Jesus be like if he was raised in the OC? LOL

That I highly doubt. Even with differences in translation, the character of Jesus shouldn't drastically change. Whether you're reading NIV or KJB, Jesus won't differ as greatly as his perception by Christians on the opposing sides. Jesus healed the sick and fed the poor in both versions.

What are you two talking about? How am I being egotistical? I know Common Sense jumps on any post that talks crap about me like a yuppie dog, but CS77? I'm posting a study on the differences between liberals and conservatives in their views on Jesus, and I'm on a crusade? The only thing more tiring than seeing my posts on religion is the ensuing crap storm about how terrible of a person I am. Definitely amusing, but even more definitely unsubstantiated.

Common Sense... pretending there is no point made, just like in the SSJ thread. It's much easier to roll your eyes than face substantiated critique, ain't it. You guys are laughable.

Anyway, anyone want to weigh in one the actual meat and potaters of the study, I'll be here all night.

People always reflect their own beliefs upon their religious icons... that should be no surprise. It's how they can reconcile themselves that they would be 'good' in the eyes of their deity.

What would be interesting would be to hear what the living Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha and Abraham, et al. would really say about the practices of their advocates today. I am certain it would be far more shocking to most of them than it would be to myself.

Contemporary Jesus?!? That's a laughable concept in and of itself.....as in, what would Jesus be like if he was raised in the OC? LOL

That's really the crux, isn't it? Personal beliefs being reflected, rather than being objective. Such results in the growing wedge between progressives and conservatives that we see today.

And you're right, a living Jesus would likely be astounded, but I also think one side is much farther from his supposed beliefs than the other. Political leaders not withstanding.

Contemporary Jesus is a funny concept, but at the same time it's not his contemporary persona that's important. The kindness and love aren't concerned with contemporary so much. Though Jesus from OC might be something like...

Ryan-Atwood-the-oc-6906119-1024-768.jpg

I as well, though I don't see much to debate as I agree with you. And in regards to my picture, I thought it was funny. <_< Though more importantly, he was a good person in the show, and resembled what I actually imagined a contemporary OC Jesus to be. I'm sorry if I spoil the serious mood.

That's really the crux, isn't it? Personal beliefs being reflected, rather than being objective. Such results in the growing wedge between progressives and conservatives that we see today.

And you're right, a living Jesus would likely be astounded, but I also think one side is much farther from his supposed beliefs than the other. Political leaders not withstanding.

This isn't breaking news. People of all sorts, from all corners of the political spectrum have been trying to reflect their personal beliefs and agendas on the Bible for centuries. Christian history has always been a tug of war between those attempting to skew Christianity in various ways and those evengelicals who want to return to the Bible itself for guidance.

The best known of these movements is the Protestant Reformation, which perhaps was the single biggest factor that drew Western Europe out of the dark ages. There have been many others as well, including the Great Awakenings in the United States which resulted in the formation of the first American Universities. Billy Graham's crusades beginning in the late 40s were probably the last big Evengelical movement in the West. It's high time there was another one.

Regarding a particular political ideology: I don't think the Bible gives clear support for one Politcal System over the others. Interestingly in the bible the Overall view of humanity is a monarchy; The first Christians lived Communally; and while Christ is enraged at the money changers in the temple he doesn't seem against the system of work and trade that we would call Capitalism.

I think this is because the success of a politcal system depends on the actions of all those involved. Communism would work if everyone did their best even if it meant getting no further reward. Likewise Capitalism/Libertarianism would work if those who accumulated wealth would give to those who did not. Of course, neither of these options is realistic as humans sin. The most realistic option seems to be a hybrid between the two that attempts to channel human vices (greed, laziness, etc) in a somewhat productive way.

This isn't breaking news. People of all sorts, from all corners of the political spectrum have been trying to reflect their personal beliefs and agendas on the Bible for centuries. Christian history has always been a tug of war between those attempting to skew Christianity in various ways and those evengelicals who want to return to the Bible itself for guidance.

The best known of these movements is the Protestant Reformation, which perhaps was the single biggest factor that drew Western Europe out of the dark ages. There have been many others as well, including the Great Awakenings in the United States which resulted in the formation of the first American Universities. Billy Graham's crusades beginning in the late 40s were probably the last big Evengelical movement in the West. It's high time there was another one.

Regarding a particular political ideology: I don't think the Bible gives clear support for one Politcal System over the others. Interestingly in the bible the Overall view of humanity is a monarchy; The first Christians lived Communally; and while Christ is enraged at the money changers in the temple he doesn't seem against the system of work and trade that we would call Capitalism.

I think this is because the success of a politcal system depends on the actions of all those involved. Communism would work if everyone did their best even if it meant getting no further reward. Likewise Capitalism/Libertarianism would work if those who accumulated wealth would give to those who did not. Of course, neither of these options is realistic as humans sin. The most realistic option seems to be a hybrid between the two that attempts to channel human vices (greed, laziness, etc) in a somewhat productive way.

I wish we could know the churches participants attend. What do you imagine another Evangelical movement would bring?

The bible isn't about politics, so of course it doesn't support any outright, but from the lessons it presents we can infer which party reflects it more. Rather, we should infer which voters reflect it more, as leaders do not represent anyone important to this discussion.

I wish we could know the churches participants attend. What do you imagine another Evangelical movement would bring?

The bible isn't about politics, so of course it doesn't support any outright, but from the lessons it presents we can infer which party reflects it more. Rather, we should infer which voters reflect it more, as leaders do not represent anyone important to this discussion.

Archived