The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

It's Not The Sedins Struggling Imo

drukes1234

I could be wrong, but I really don't think it's the twins themselves that are struggling, it's the line as a whole and the way that line plays. They used to be incredibly effective, no doubt, but they have become predictable and easy to defend. Last year when the line wasn't working, Samuelsson would be put on the line and it created a completely different dynamic which was not focused on cycling the puck and involved a lot more flow to the game. I'm resigned to the fact that we will be finishing 2nd place, so I can't see a reason not to try Kassian on the 1st line and see what kind of strategy they employ together. Even Bitz brought a little change to the line as it was almost impossible to knock him off the puck when they decided to cycle, something that can't be said about Burrows. There is very little downside in trying new things given our locked in 2nd place position and the fact the 1st line cannot get much worse. Yes, Burrows would move down to the 3rd line which seems unfair given his production but I think Burrows could actually be an incredible 3rd line player and make the team unbelievably deep and effective.

Like I said, I could easily be wrong with this analysis but I don't see the harm in trying it.

Well the Sedins make up 2/3rd of that line so to say that line as a whole is struggling would mean the Sedins are struggling... but i think i get what your saying. Burrows hasn't been nearly as effective and that line combined is so so predictable. Someone like Bitz has proven to work on a short term basics but would it work long term who knows? I would think at this point in the season we should have the lines set but if they cannot get things going in the next couple games then you probably have to try someone else.

I could be wrong, but I really don't think it's the twins themselves that are struggling, it's the line as a whole and the way that line plays. They used to be incredibly effective, no doubt, but they have become predictable and easy to defend. Last year when the line wasn't working, Samuelsson would be put on the line and it created a completely different dynamic which was not focused on cycling the puck and involved a lot more flow to the game. I'm resigned to the fact that we will be finishing 2nd place, so I can't see a reason not to try Kassian on the 1st line and see what kind of strategy they employ together. Even Bitz brought a little change to the line as it was almost impossible to knock him off the puck when they decided to cycle, something that can't be said about Burrows. There is very little downside in trying new things given our locked in 2nd place position and the fact the 1st line cannot get much worse. Yes, Burrows would move down to the 3rd line which seems unfair given his production but I think Burrows could actually be an incredible 3rd line player and make the team unbelievably deep and effective.

Like I said, I could easily be wrong with this analysis but I don't see the harm in trying it.

Well the Sedins make up 2/3rd of that line so to say that line as a whole is struggling would mean the Sedins are struggling... but i think i get what your saying. Burrows hasn't been nearly as effective and that line combined is so so predictable. Someone like Bitz has proven to work on a short term basics but would it work long term who knows? I would think at this point in the season we should have the lines set but if they cannot get things going in the next couple games then you probably have to try someone else.

Guest Dasein

When the Sedins are really on their game, they do something other than cycle - they hold on to the puck.

What I see these days is too many one touch passes - it's like they are avoiding the puck and fighting it a bit. When the Sedins are on, they will hold on, take the punishments, then pass when the man's open - not just blindly pass hoping someone's there - which, they've been prone to do these past handful of games.

They did improve in the last couple games so I don't think they are too far away in terms of getting back on track.

When Burrows has got points lately, it has been when he is not playing with the Sedins.

It's the Sedins that are struggling.

I agree a change of line mates would be good for all of them on that line. I thenk it woudl also be good to separate the twins at least for awhile just to change their mindset. When they get the puck, they immediately look for their brother to make a play. A change of line mates and they may start skating and making moves that will re-ignite thier offensive flair.

They look stale.

Watching the last 2-3 games, I've noticed Burrows has been brutal in his own end. He's been giving the puck away way too many times, trying to do a lot of pretty plays. Its obvious AV isn't going to split the Sedins up but I'd like to see Hansen and Burrows switch for Wednesday's game if the Sedins and Burrows line continues to be unproductive.

Sedin Sedin Bitz

Higgins Kesler Booth

Burrows Lapierre Hansen

Malhotra Pahlsson Kassian

I like it. Spread out the offence, and have two amazing bottom two checking lines.

I don't know how they couldn't like Bitz with the Sedins. He had 3 points in his first two games with them, and showed an awesome ability to protect the puck until the Sedins got set up. I think they ultimately want to see him back in that position, I think they just wanna be careful with him because of his recent hip surgeries.

I think you've summed it up perfectly here. They're saving their body's for when the games really matter. They learned a valuable lesson last year of what it takes to go that far and play that long. 2nd place is pretty much a guarantee....

There's no other logical explanation for the drop off in production. People should stop fussing and just wait for the playoffs.

When the Sedins are really on their game, they do something other than cycle - they hold on to the puck.

What I see these days is too many one touch passes - it's like they are avoiding the puck and fighting it a bit. When the Sedins are on, they will hold on, take the punishments, then pass when the man's open - not just blindly pass hoping someone's there - which, they've been prone to do these past handful of games.

They did improve in the last couple games so I don't think they are too far away in terms of getting back on track.

I think you've summed it up perfectly here. They're saving their body's for when the games really matter. They learned a valuable lesson last year of what it takes to go that far and play that long. 2nd place is pretty much a guarantee....

There's no other logical explanation for the drop off in production. People should stop fussing and just wait for the playoffs.

Archived