The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If We Had To Pay $5.3 Million Per Year For A Goaltender...

rb4u

If we had to pay $5.3 million per year for a goaltender,   

166 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest The Brown Burrows

Anybody that voted Schneider is an idiot. Why? You don't pay a rising star that much money on that big of a contract off the bat. People complain about Luo's contract (including me) but Luongo deserves it moreso than Schneider because he is proven and putting up similar numbers to Schneider (Schneider has a small sample of games so most likely the numbers would be even closer).

You never pay a rising star that type of money ever (talking about goalies , not forwards ... had to include this as some might be like "well what if it was Stamkos...".).

You might as well bury yourself in a hole and never come out as you are risking big money...

Look at DiPietro if you are looking at giving this contract to Schneider.

At least Steve Mason, Sergei Varlamov, Jaroslav Halak, and Brian Elliot are on cheap, affordable deals.

* Halak's 3.7 something is not expensive.

- So many idiots (future Scott Howson's and Pierre Gauthier's). At least many of these users don't have NHL jobs.

* I know that some people are not thinking on the same line as me (the 5.3 million cap hit , 12 year 64 million deal given to Luongo / some of you are probably just looking at it as a 1 year deal).

that's a new suggestion, get rid of BOTH franchise goalies! But Nashville won't need two starters, they already have Rinne.

I didnt mean trade them to Nashville.Columbus and Tampa would do.I guess i should have put Luongo to ? for the cap space to sign Weber.Anyway just a joke.

Sorry. Didn't mean for it to be another one of those threads. Just wanted to see what the sentiment would be if money was out of the equation and they both hypothically were paid the same amount. FYI, I personally think that Luongo is the BEST goaltender we have had in our 41 year history, but chose Schneider simply because he is younger and his career path should trend more favorably.

06/07: Luongo was stellar and the team in front of him was not playoff ready.

08/09: Luongo got lit up by Chicago, but the team in front of him was not playoff ready.

09/10: Luongo got lit up by Chicago, but the team in front of him was no better.

10/11: Luongo stole three games in the SCF, but the team in front of him couldn't steal the fourth.

Okay, so Luongo's had some shaky postseasons; it's not like the defence did the best they could. With the direction of the cap and the direction of player salaries, $5.3m will be a steal compared to what goaltenders like Rinne, Quick and others will command.

I'm pretty sure the Canucks would still have lost in the SCF if this year's Schneider was in net. Even the best teams don't overcome injuries to their top two centremen, a 3rd with a serious eye injury and a missing defence corps, and 8 goals in 7 games doesn't help.

Why does ONLY LUONGO have 1 more chance? Why don't the Sedin's have 1 more chance? Why doesn't Kesler have 1 more chance? Why doesn't Edler or Bieksa have 1 more chance?

Can't win games if you don't score goals, but I forgot. Luongo was supposed to do that too.

Honestly, I'd have a real hard time picking between the two of them, if there were identical contracts. The big thing Cory has going for him is youth, Lu has experience. I can't pick.. :P

Anybody that voted Schneider is an idiot. Why? ,You don't pay a rising star that much money on that big of a contract off the bat. People complain about Luo's contract (including me) but Luongo deserves it moreso than Schneider because he is proven and putting up similar numbers to Schneider (Schneider has a small sample of games so most likely the numbers would be even closer).

You never pay a rising star that type of money ever (talking about goalies , not forwards ... had to include this as some might be like "well what if it was Stamkos...".).

You might as well bury yourself in a hole and never come out as you are risking big money...

Look at DiPietro if you are looking at giving this contract to Schneider.

At least Steve Mason, Sergei Varlamov, Jaroslav Halak, and Brian Elliot are on cheap, affordable deals.

* Halak's 3.7 something is not expensive.

- So many idiots (future Scott Howson's and Pierre Gauthier's). At least many of these users don't have NHL jobs.

* I know that some people are not thinking on the same line as me (the 5.3 million cap hit , 12 year 64 million deal given to Luongo / some of you are probably just looking at it as a 1 year deal).

I dont think you can just throw around 5+ million to a goalie who's never played a full season of a starter amount of games. Luongo has been proven time and again. He's won almost everything except for the Cup, but as we all know, that is dependant on the entire team!

I would rather pay it to Schneider.

* Point of this post? With amount of "trade Luongo keep Schneider" threads on this forum, I wanted to see what the sentiment would be if that is how much it would take to keep Cory.

Archived