The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Is This Team Tougher Then Last Year?

yete

I know you're referring to additional players who add toughness, but may I add that they're tougher, mentally, as they know what they're in for? They have seen about the worst thing that can happen in how things played out last year. With that, they can draw from that experience to better prepare them for the long haul. They appear to have scaled things back and gone into protection mode - both from burning out with fatigue and also to avoid injury. So they're tougher in that they know what to expect and can, thereby, prepare for it.

It's really a catch 22 situation for them - being tougher doesn't mean much if it's your guy getting turfed into the box or, even worse, out of the game. So they have to walk a fine line in relation to that - knowing how/when to apply toughness so that it benefits vs hurts them. I don't know that they can figure out that one, as it's a bit of a riddle at the moment.

Goon tough is great if you can get away with the application of that...it doesn't appear that we ever will. So toughness has to be standing our ground and not getting rattled by cheap shots or being thrown off our game in looking for calls - they're not coming our way. So the team has to adjust and accept that and somehow work around it.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is tough is only useful if you're allowed to apply it. In our case and with how the refs keep a watchful eye on this team, not happening. So we just have to be survival/defensive tough vs offensive tough.

Kassian doesn't hit. Kassian needs to hit. He NEEDS to. If he doesn't, send him to the farm and call up somebody/dress somebody that does.. Like Weise. Or Bitz.

The game against Montreal was horrendous. They just went around destroying the Sedins (Mostly PK), and nobody hit him or fought him? Okay Kassian, go fight the other tough guy on the other team.. that really does a ton to help us, not. I know he's his friend and all, but Kassian needs to show he can actually stick up for him team mates. He had better show that within these next games here.

PS, Bitz or Weise would not have even flinched and gone after PK.

PS, PS, Where the hell has Kesler's Physical presence gone!? :sadno:

Judging by your avatar photo and name, you would gladly get down on your knees for Hodgson, which obviously will cause you to bash the guy that clearly requested to be traded to Vancouver, and only for Hodgson. Do you ever recall seeing Kassian on the ice with PK? maybe 27 seconds of the whole game? The line matchups don't present him with the opportunity to head hunt like a goon, like you expect him to. He was not brought in here to be a fighter or a meat head goon. I bet Hodgson would have definitely stood up for the Sedins and pummeled on PK though, while scoring a hatty to lead the Canucks over the Canadiens, and then gone on to be the 3rd line saviour, 2012 Conn Smythe winner.

Take that door to your left, it will get you out of this false reality you live in.

We don't really need the said toughness. Our lineup is "tough" enough throughout, especially after the deadline. We have a skilled team and play a different kind of game. Don't say that it screwed us in the playoffs last year because it's that style of play that got us to Game 7 of the SCF. The only reason why we lost was due to injuries.. and I believe that this year, with the added grit, we can make another deep run and hopefully win it all :)

I think we were the ones laughing at the end when we won the series, and I'm sure the message sent was scoring on the power play.

I'm going to keep saying it. We lost last year because of injuries, not because of toughness.

Where did Bruins toughness lead them prior to the last year?

I don't get last year we had raffi torres, tanner glass and victor oreskovich

ok raffi torres and victor oreskovich I still remember starting the playoffs they hit every moving player brought energy...

even tanner glass had some edge

so are we tougher this year here is whom we have currently

maxuim lappriere - ok this guy is a another Avery face it canucks fans he doesn't bring toughness he brings a different element

manny malhorta - still no toughness here?

and finally zack kassian - thas it? this is our one player we have for toughness? How many times will he fight in a game to try sparking the team or hit? he is just one player !

I dont know what the plan is for this team come playoffs but we don't look tougher then last year thats for sure...

also before you say we have toughness they are healthy scratches then whos the odd man out? i know for sure AV won't bench raymond, manny or lapriere? I think Gillis made a foolish mistake come deadline day he should of traded away either manny or laprierre or even raymond........... This team does not look tougher then last years team........

Wasn't it a mistake?

Keep Pahlsson trade, but Bitz was performing better than Kassian...

Part and parcel, we added another small left side D with Kassian at the deadline; so there is again no room for either Gragnani or Ballard unless someone is injured. If that injury is on the right side?

Sighh... The trade was a mistake!

If we needed a power play D; we had Connauton (a right side guy) who made the AHL all star team this year where Gragnani did not. And while about the same size, he is Bieksa tough > a feared middle weight. I am completely shocked he did not at least get a callup before we made a panic trade.

To me Bitz, Hodgson & Connauton > Kassian, Gragnani.

not a problem

"I think Gillis made a foolish mistake come deadline day "

one minute you complain about a lack of toughness

the next you are suggesting that moving a small finesse center and adding Kassian and Pahlsson was a foolish mistake?

ok.

Wasn't it a mistake?

Keep Pahlsson trade, but Bitz was performing better than Kassian...

Part and parcel, we added another small left side D with Kassian at the deadline; so there is again no room for either Gragnani or Ballard unless someone is injured. If that injury is on the right side?

Sighh... The trade was a mistake!

If we needed a power play D; we had Connauton (a right side guy) who made the AHL all star team this year where Gragnani did not. And while about the same size, he is Bieksa tough > a feared middle weight. I am completely shocked he did not at least get a callup before we made a panic trade.

To me Bitz, Hodgson & Connauton > Kassian, Gragnani.

Your right. This is a match up issue. Burrows is great, but like the Twins he is 180 something pounds. The line is limited by this, particularly when we play against teams with big mobile D (Nashville, St Louis, Boston). A big forward, ala Samuelsson against Chicago 3 years ago), has the potential to clear space physically to get them going against certain match ups.

And I'm NOT talking about preotecting them from BS, although that is an added bonus... <_<

i hear you but i think the twins really need a big body smashing open lanes for them.

also when Bitz played a few shifts with the Sedins they actually produced.

Bitz or Kassian might be the right chemistry come playoff time.

Another thing people look over is the strength of the 4th line. AV can throw them out in any situation comfortably. more than could be said about last years edition. they saw no time in the playoffs. rolling all four makes us TOUGHER to play against

Archived