The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bring Up Mark Mancari To Play With Henrik Sedin

gradin123

Update after Daniel Injury:

I think now Gillis has to call up Mancari while Daniel is out. The Canucks need to call up a offensive player and the most productive offensive player on the Chicago Wolves is Mark Mancari. Bitz is not going to cut it because you have to consider the player and role the player called up is going to have to replace. Bitz would be OK if a guy like LaPierre or Kassian got hurt but Bitz is not a offensively gifted player. Mancari is use to playing a offensive role and a lot of minutes. I think the Canucks have to give this guy a real shot now on the on top line because there simply isn't anyone else they can call upon who could possibly provide as much offense as Mancari. Without Daniel this team is going to have a horrible time generating offense so Gillis has to call up Mancari IMO.

What the Canucks have lacked lately is offense,(last night not included) and that is because the Sedins have been mired in a slump. Last night, AV tried Raymond with the Sedins and it was a failure. Raymond skated well of course but once again showed absolutely no touch around the net. The bottom line is that Raymond just doesn't bring a lot to the table besides speed which just doesn't amount to much and he won't work with Sedins just like he hasn't worked anywhere else in the lineup.

Zack Kassian is starting to show that he just isn't ready to contribute in a huge way on the Canucks this year so while I'd rather see him given a chance the Sedins than Raymond it probably wouldn't work that well either.

So besides Burrows, who actually gave some life to the third line tonight, who else can the Canucks try with the Sedins? Bitz is not really suited to that role but then I thought about Mark Mancari.

For those of you who don't know Mark Mancari up to this point has been pretty much a career minor leaguer but he has shown a huge offensive upside in the minor leagues. He has been the Wolves leading scorer this year and has scored 20 or more goals for six straight years in the minors. With Chicago he plays on the top line so he is use to logging heavy minutes that would come with playing with the Sedins. He also plays right wing so he could easily be plugged right onto the line.

If you remember earlier this year he had a cup of tea with the Canucks but he saw very few minutes and was playing on the 4th line. He didn't look out of place in the NHL but he simply didn't play much and was asked to play a role he wasn't accustomed to.

You know after years of being an ALL-STAR at the AHL level that Mancari who is turning 27 in July would love a real shot in the NHL. Remember Anson Carter was a guy who excelled with Sedins because he wasn't afraid to go the greasy spots and and he could finish when the Sedins set him up but away from the Sedins, Carter never had much success. Well, Mancari has also proven, at least at the AHL Level, that he isn't afraid to go the greasy spots and he can finish as well. Of all the people in the Canucks organization he seems like perhaps the best fit to slide right into the Sedins line and perhaps produce.

I would at least like to see him get a shot to play with Sedins before the Regular Season ends. If it fails so be it, but you really can't know how it would work unless you try it. Maybe , just maybe, the Canucks could catch lightning in the bottle if they actually try it.

Mancari's speed would be exposed big time in the NHL.

The Sedins need someone who can forcheck and backcheck hard on their line since their defensive game is hit and miss.

He has been playing well in the AHL though, I'll give him that. But there's too many guys ahead of him on the depth chart like Weise, Bitz, and even Duco.

Mancari's speed would be exposed big time in the NHL.

The Sedins need someone who can forcheck and backcheck hard on their line since their defensive game is hit and miss.

He has been playing well in the AHL though, I'll give him that. But there's too many guys ahead of him on the depth chart like Weise, Bitz, and even Duco.

I've wanted to see Mancari up for a while but I doubt he will because: 1) Once Vigneault makes up his mind about a player.... and 2) I think he's pretty key in the Wolves line-up.

I have a feeling Andrew Gordon would probably get a shot before Mancari. Similar AHL numbers. 37 games for ANA before the trade. Played a lot on the PK.

it's a shame that mancari wasn't given the opportunity to utilize his skill-set last time he was called up.

knowing how he has such a hard shot i was thinking how they could have tried him on the point either 1st or at least the 2nd PP unit , but he wasn't given a whiff . it seemed like they were looking for a 4 line banger/energy type of player and were disappointed he wasn't as good in the that role then the other candidates .i say this is the downfall to the coach's thinking , why they didn't explore his offensive side by making him play on the first or second line is upsetting. he is a big body with some decent hands probably more so then bitz,duco or even kassian at this present time. he isn't so quick but i bet he could do a great job clearing some space for the twins and scoring goals in close off rebounds . he's been leading the wolves in points for some time now and he's coming into his prime. i hate to see him on top of his game yet not given a second glance to play in the big league. i'd like to see him called up again but it seems like wishful thinking with bitz and duco already to go.

I like Mancari. I also like the idea of giving him a tryout higher up the line than 4th. He is not slow, he just isn't fast :rolleyes:

He also has an in yer face side to him and I would back him in a gloves off before Bitz or Weise. However I'm not sure he belongs with the Sedins in a 3. I would rather see him tried when we split the Sedins.

Anyway he is a good strong player to have around and he seems to be working very hard in Chicago for another chance.

Bitz with the Sedins.

3 goals in 4 periods. This line dominated. I think the main reason MG has him in the minors right now is to get him playing lots so he'll be ready for the playoffs. Still, I'd rather see this lineup for Game 1:

Sedin - Sedin - Bitz

Higgins - Kesler - Booth

Hansen - Pahlsson - Burrows

Kassian - Malhotra - Lapierre

Edler - Salo

Bieksa - Hamhuis

Tanev - Alberts

That lineup has incredible size and grit, and will wear down opponents all series long in the playoffs. Every single line and defensive pairing has a big hitter and some skill, the perfect mix.

it's a shame that mancari wasn't given the opportunity to utilize his skill-set last time he was called up.

knowing how he has such a hard shot i was thinking how they could have tried him on the point either 1st or at least the 2nd PP unit , but he wasn't given a whiff . it seemed like they were looking for a 4 line banger/energy type of player and were disappointed he wasn't as good in the that role then the other candidates .i say this is the downfall to the coach's thinking , why they didn't explore his offensive side by making him play on the first or second line is upsetting. he is a big body with some decent hands probably more so then bitz,duco or even kassian at this present time. he isn't so quick but i bet he could do a great job clearing some space for the twins and scoring goals in close off rebounds . he's been leading the wolves in points for some time now and he's coming into his prime. i hate to see him on top of his game yet not given a second glance to play in the big league. i'd like to see him called up again but it seems like wishful thinking with bitz and duco already to go.

Well the Sedins at least bumped the slump last night so hopefully that will get them going regardless of who's on their wing. However if they are still struggling down the stretch i wouldn't mind seeing how Mancari plays with them. Having a big body on that line could give the Sedins the protection/net pressence the line needs.

Archived