The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bring Up Mark Mancari To Play With Henrik Sedin

gradin123

Or we keep on going with the guy wearing #14 who's (soon to have) scored 25+ goals in 4 straight seasons... yes the team's playing terrible as of now, but that's no need to make proposals like this. Mancari? Really? The team's lost a few games, so your big solution is to bring up a career AHL'er to replace Alex Burrows on the top line because he "could" succeed there. This is a good hockey team, they're just not playing like it right now and Mark Mancari is not going to change anything.

It's frustrating that the Sedins have been here for 10+ years and the organization still hasn't found an "equal" for them on that line.

No disrespect to Burrows, he's played very well with them for the most part. I'm referring to a legitimate top tier player who would/could compliment them.

At this point, it's feasible that they may spend their entire careers not having played with a true top level player.

We all know what they are and aren't capable of by now.. seeing a Getzlaf or Perry type player on that line would blow everyone away I'm sure. ie: someone with the vision they have, but also size.

Yes I realize those players don't grow on trees, but like I said, it's been 10+ years.

It's frustrating that the Sedins have been here for 10+ years and the organization still hasn't found an "equal" for them on that line.

No disrespect to Burrows, he's played very well with them for the most part. I'm referring to a legitimate top tier player who would/could compliment them.

At this point, it's feasible that they may spend their entire careers not having played with a true top level player.

We all know what they are and aren't capable of by now.. seeing a Getzlaf or Perry type player on that line would blow everyone away I'm sure. ie: someone with the vision they have, but also size.

Yes I realize those players don't grow on trees, but like I said, it's been 10+ years.

He has outplayed both Bitz and Duco with the Wolves. He has 26 Goals in 56 games this year and scored 32 goals in 56 games last year at the AHL level. When Bitz and Duco get called up it is play roles as 4th liners with the Canucks but they are NOT suited to play top minutes on the top line. It is like comparing apples and oranges.

Yes, he lacks speed but he did play 20 games with the Sabres last year and 1 playoff game he wasn't that bad. I saw an interview with him earlier this year and he is a confident guy that is basically a man playing with boys at the AHL Level. Also, I think my previous comparsion to Anson Carter pretty much sums up his style of play. Carter too was slow but he played well with Sedins who aren't exactly burners themselves.

Really Mancari has been labelled as a AHL'er but he never really has been given a legit chance at the NHL level to play with talented guys like the Sedins. Yes, it could fail but is it worse than trying Raymond with the Sedins? Or trying Bitz with Sedins which was actually tried earlier this year? He has dominated the AHL level the past 4 seasons and he is use to playing top line minutes.

What the Canucks have lacked lately is offense,(last night not included) and that is because the Sedins have been mired in a slump. Last night, AV tried Raymond with the Sedins and it was a failure. Raymond skated well of course but once again showed absolutely no touch around the net. The bottom line is that Raymond just doesn't bring a lot to the table besides speed which just doesn't amount to much and he won't work with Sedins just like he hasn't worked anywhere else in the lineup.

Zack Kassian is starting to show that he just isn't ready to contribute in a huge way on the Canucks this year so while I'd rather see him given a chance the Sedins than Raymond it probably wouldn't work that well either.

So besides Burrows, who actually gave some life to the third line tonight, who else can the Canucks try with the Sedins? Bitz is not really suited to that role but then I thought about Mark Mancari.

For those of you who don't know Mark Mancari up to this point has been pretty much a career minor leaguer but he has shown a huge offensive upside in the minor leagues. He has been the Wolves leading scorer this year and has scored 20 or more goals for six straight years in the minors. With Chicago he plays on the top line so he is use to logging heavy minutes that would come with playing with the Sedins. He also plays right wing so he could easily be plugged right onto the line.

If you remember earlier this year he had a cup of tea with the Canucks but he saw very few minutes and was playing on the 4th line. He didn't look out of place in the NHL but he simply didn't play much and was asked to play a role he wasn't accustomed to.

You know after years of being an ALL-STAR at the AHL level that Mancari who is turning 27 in July would love a real shot in the NHL. Remember Anson Carter was a guy who excelled with Sedins because he wasn't afraid to go the greasy spots and and he could finish when the Sedins set him up but away from the Sedins, Carter never had much success. Well, Mancari has also proven, at least at the AHL Level, that he isn't afraid to go the greasy spots and he can finish as well. Of all the people in the Canucks organization he seems like perhaps the best fit to slide right into the Sedins line and perhaps produce.

I would at least like to see him get a shot to play with Sedins before the Regular Season ends. If it fails so be it, but you really can't know how it would work unless you try it. Maybe , just maybe, the Canucks could catch lightning in the bottle if they actually try it.

Archived