The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Some Playoff Spots And Matchups Are Set!

Primal Optimist

To tell u the truth if Canucks can play to their potential I'm certain that they can beat any team in the west. That being said Nashville scares me more than sharks or wings because of their awesome defense and goalie and they have a good mix of scoring. I think they will be the hardest to beat. If Rinne is lights out then I can see them taking the west

My thoughts...There is a ton of speculation in this post.

Vancouver still has a very good chance at first.

St.Louis could go under .500 their last 10 games and end up in 4th. Easily.

It ain't over till it's over. But, I do hope we face either the Flames or Sharks first round.

I also think that the Detroit vs Nashville series is settled. And I just love it, both teams are really good, and eliminating one of them is great.

San Jose has good chances of taking the 3rd place from Dallas. A Sharks vs Hawks series is also exciting.

The Canucks and the Blues will battle for the 1st spot, and Vancouver must start this last stretch saturday against the CBJ. If we manage to slip away one point from this game, I'm not so sure we can do it. But I think we have a really good shot at it. I don't see Phoenix out of the playoffs, so I'll bet that Dallas, Colorado, Calgary and LA will battle for the last spot.

Det-Nash in the first round is ideal for the Canucks. Not only does it eliminate one of the best teams, but if Nashville loses it greatly increases the chances of Weber leaving.

It also would mean that St Louis would play the winner of that series if they are the top seed. We could conceivably only play one of Det/Nash/StL on the way to the finals as the second seed, and I see those teams as the toughest in the conference by far.

The wildcard in that scenario is the 3/6 matchup which could be an upset. The winner of that matchup would be the weakest 2nd round opponent.

Of course there is speculation in this thread, hahaha..everything any fan ever posts is speculation. So in keeping with that theme...

We know the Canucks can keep at 2nd place since the spacing between first and second and third is hard to overcome, but what could they do in the last 3 or 4 games with the knowledge that they will play the 7th place team? That is my driving issue as i eat a bowl of soup right now...Kony..Syria...US republican nominee....all that aside...I need to know what the Nucks can do to "pick" their 7th place opponent. Moneypuck style.

And one glance at the schedule and it is perfectly clear: we play the Flames twice in our last four games.

From last to soonest, the implicated teams we face are:

Flames

Flames

Dallas

Colorado

Colorado

Dallas

Chicago

That is 14 Conference points put into or take out of the race for those last 2 playoff spots. I am intrigued.

EDIT: Obviously no one throws games, but you do take time with 'meaningless games' to experiment, like putting Raymond with the twins...Burr on the third line, et cetera, you can't control who wins the game, but during these times you try out things you don't have the luxury of trying out when the games matter..and therefore you lose a higher percentage.

First place comes with a scary thought: If each of the division leaders win the first round, the 1st overall team gets the winner of the Detroit/Nashville series.

Of course, whoever wins the Pacific will probably not be the favourite, so if the 6th seed "upsets", then 2nd gets the booby prize.

Archived