The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Huge Mistake In Starting Schneids Tonight....

Dun Caesar

Guest Dasein

People should know by now Luongo is our guy...If they don't then that's their problem.

I'm fine with showcasing our most prized asset come 2012 NHL Entry Draft day to a potential trade partner tonight.

Luongo will find his game before the playoffs begin.

It's not going to start any goalie controversy. Schneider is rock solid and will continue to play well.

Lu will get his start in the playoffs to lead us, but if he is shaky in a game, Schneider will definitely be given his turn to lead this team. Luu ran out of all of his chances last playoffs. That leash is a lot shorter now and for good reason.

Also, you do realize that if Lu started tonight and played like crap against the worst team in the league that that would be even more of a controversy for this team.

Last season went game 7 of the SCF, and got 2 shutouts. Thats why it doesn't scare me. Lu only has 3 shutouts this regular season, yet got 2 in the SCF. To me that is unbelievable.

What scares me is our pp, and lack of offense. 8 goals in 7 games does not scare you? 8 goals in 7 games will barely get you 3 regular season wins, let alone 4 wins for the freakin Stanley Cup.

Yup. Corey Schnieder could have played every game in the SCF, we still would not have won because of this lack of goal scoring. And who knows if he would have pitched 1 or 2 shutouts to take it to a 7th game.

You think had Canucks won game 7 by a 4-3 or 5-4 score with Lu letting him a few weak goals he would be criticized this much? Absolutely not, he would have been the hero because people would say he got 2 shutouts.

I guess this what goalies in Vancouver are always going to have to face. Lu can get traded and Schnieder will be our goalie, only a matter of time before he's going to be the goat.

As somewhat of a Luongo fan, because heck I've seen our goaltending before and actually appreciate what we have, I completely disagree. He has had a great season so far with a streak of 20+ games that ended only recently where he was carrying us, but he is not playing well and neither is the team. I think he will get it together in time, if not Schneids should go. However, it isn't about point or wins to me right now, it's about putting in a solid effort win or loss and getting our game together, and for that, the team needs a wake-up call and a change and Schneider will bring that. We haven't been losing entirely on Luongo's shoulders but he hasn't been helping either. The defense is non-existent but so was the big save so to speak. In any case, I have no problem playing the backup against the worst team in the league. No controversies that aren't already there will stem from a game against Columbus (unless Raymond scores 5 goals...then I'd love to see all hell break loose on here).

I say ride Corey into the playoffs and use Lu as a backup. It isn't about how much a player is getting paid at this point. What's important is that we win games to regain some confidence, and get motivated for the 16 playoff wins needed to lift the cup. When Schneider was playing lights out in the beginning of the season he kept us in contention and gave us a huge boost in the standings. That minor injury to Lu was a blessing in disguise IMO, and it also sparked Lu to play better when he came back. I believe the most important area for winning especially in the playoffs is goaltending. Goalie makes a couple key saves which sometimes defies all odds, and then we come back and score a goal. Goalie lets in a couple crap goals and it deflates the team and also changes the strategy of the game because we are forced to play more offensive and leave more holes in the defense. But the number one key is consistency, and I think Corey is more steady in that department right now. JMO

Minnesota is a softer team to start Lu for and rebuild confidence imo. What I'm concerned about is the defense pairings continued to be switched up it's like AV is prepping the team for if injuries happen on the blue line or something

A controversy will do nothing.. The Canucks are professional athletes and i doubt they're distracted by the media. If anything it is a win-win situation, with Schneider's solid/consistant play the pressure will be on Luongo to step up HIS game and by the time the playoffs role in we will have two steller goaltenders again.

Its not just the last 8 or so games that is of concern. Over the season Lou has a lower SP than last year..and a dismal 2.48 GAA....its not like he can remedy his woes overnight..this slump started in October...got better and now its October again..but saying Lou will find his game is nothing more than wishful thinking.....its not a tap you can just turn back on !! As I said before...he needs to go back to Goaltending 101 and keep it simple... squeeze the puck, control rebounds , stay square and balanced..and be aggresive...contrary to popular belief...goaltending is not rocket science...its just a science..

So misinformed, also so much bitter undertone. I guess you fail to realize a few important points, like if these games were unimportant to the coaching staff, why would AV call out his top players, why would he change up lines, why didnt he give Cory more starts then, why would he risk resting Luo when he knows Luo's confidence is shakey (especially when we are playing the crappiest team in the league). It is true that these games hold little value but if you think the coaching staff does not care about winning you are wrong. The guys wanted to win that last game that is why they showed up and scored goals. Its too bad we had some poor defensive play and poor goaltending that we didnt get the win. I m also quite sure the boys never wanna lose when they play on national tv.

Like every hockey player Louongo emerged into the next level and suceeded and beat out the other players competing for the ice time

at that position. Louongo has excelled and displaced many pro NHL goaltenders because of his talent and athletisim. Now into his thirties he is looking over his shoulder at the new improved version of himself. Cory Schneider benefits from being younger and being

educated by better trainers with more experience and feedback than was available when Louongo entered the league.

Louongo is not done, but the time has come to share the goaltending duties with the up and coming Cory Schneider, but brace yourself

Cory because in 5 or 7 years you will be fighting to keep your starting role with a younger better educated and coached goalie.

Can I just say that I love the vicious circle CDCers live in (including myself)? No matter what the thread is, whether it is pro/con goalie situation, hating on contracts, loving/hating players, coaches or GMMG, it always comes back to the SCF. No matter what it comes back to the PP struggles, the goal scoring struggles and the goaltending struggles. Its as if the day when the Vancouver Canucks hoist the Holy Grail over their heads that a mystical curse will be lifted from all fans.

Archived