The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Was Being "bold" And Over-Confidence Gillis' Fault?

Lui's Knob

Since the Boston game in January and then since the deadline, Gillis failed to fill a Top 4 D and more offense and then does the unthinkable by dealing Hodgson for Kassian and MAG who so far haven't done much to help the team at all.

Was the bold moves by Gillis and his at times overconfidence a result of the team tanking the past while? Is it up to him to have a TEAM/Manager meeting or perhaps do another bold move and fire the coach?

I don't mind the Hodgson trade and that's not what's going to hurt us in the playoffs. If anything it's going to be Gillis not addressing the need of top 4 D depth at the deadline and that's where I agree with you. I haven't been happy and haven't felt safe about this defense all season. If one of them goes down in the playoffs(especially Salo) we're screwed

The only thing that I was hoping for was acquiring a number 5-6 like Bryan Allen. Someone who only needs to post about 11-12 minutes a game and can bring a bit more toughness to the backend. I would have even been okay with an overpayment (2nd rounder maybe). Having said that, there was nothing else Gillis really could have done.

I felt Gillis gave into the pressure to get a potential top six power forward. I'll go out on record as saying I absolutely hate the play of Kassian. He will never be an effective top 6 forward and I think there are far better options on this roster to fill the position of 4th line RW.

Hodgson wasn't getting his minutes on the 3rd. He could have been given those minutes on the RW of the 2nd line. Maybe there was more to the story than that but as far as I'm concerned this team lost a key asset and gained almost nothing in return.

I love AV, but I have a feeling the team has stopped listening to him. The Canucks are one of the best coached teams in the league but after 6 years I have a feeling the players have started to block him out. I'm absolutely disgusted with how terrible the team has played. They look almost as bad as the Leafs as of late.

The second line is our only line in the game right now and even they are struggling.

I've said this before and I'm sure I'll say it again. Management looked in the wrong places for answers. The team has been struggling the entire second half of the season (since Christmas), at first Luongo was bailing them out but he isn't consistent enough to bail them out all season. The guy can't do everything. The problem wasn't lack of 3rd line defensive capability with Hodgson as our 3rd line center, it was our top 6 and lack of primary scoring, specifically the Sedins.

This team will not make it passed the second round. I doubt at this point they'll even make it passed the first. That being said I hope I'm wrong.

Since the Boston game in January and then since the deadline, Gillis failed to fill a Top 4 D and more offense and then does the unthinkable by dealing Hodgson for Kassian and MAG who so far haven't done much to help the team at all.

Was the bold moves by Gillis and his at times overconfidence a result of the team tanking the past while? Is it up to him to have a TEAM/Manager meeting or perhaps do another bold move and fire the coach?

I think you guys are just being a bunch of sore losers right now. If you are a true fan, you understand team goes through slump and need to regain their groove. In my opinion, it is a good thing that we're slumping right now. It is always better to slump early then slump in the Stanley Cup Final. Just continue to show your support for your team, and hope for the best and believe in the group we have. Trade has passed, team rosters are locked, deal with it.

Don't blame Gillis for Kassian not being helping the team so far, blame AV for giving him next to no ice time. Maybe he's too young and inexperienced for a lot of minutes right now but maybe he isn't, give him a chance AV, try him on the 1st line, after this recent stretch what really is the worst that can happen?

It's not about losing so much as how. If the hawks whip them which looks likely then perhaps the team will awaken. Its the lack of scoring, the Sedins looking out if sync and Kassian deal backfiring. Not to mention no passion, AV making dumb roster moves and no accountability

I felt Gillis gave into the pressure to get a potential top six power forward. I'll go out on record as saying I absolutely hate the play of Kassian. He will never be an effective top 6 forward and I think there are far better options on this roster to fill the position of 4th line RW.

Hodgson wasn't getting his minutes on the 3rd. He could have been given those minutes on the RW of the 2nd line. Maybe there was more to the story than that but as far as I'm concerned this team lost a key asset and gained almost nothing in return.

I love AV, but I have a feeling the team has stopped listening to him. The Canucks are one of the best coached teams in the league but after 6 years I have a feeling the players have started to block him out. I'm absolutely disgusted with how terrible the team has played. They look almost as bad as the Leafs as of late.

The second line is our only line in the game right now and even they are struggling.

I've said this before and I'm sure I'll say it again. Management looked in the wrong places for answers. The team has been struggling the entire second half of the season (since Christmas), at first Luongo was bailing them out but he isn't consistent enough to bail them out all season. The guy can't do everything. The problem wasn't lack of 3rd line defensive capability with Hodgson as our 3rd line center, it was our top 6 and lack of primary scoring, specifically the Sedins.

This team will not make it passed the second round. I doubt at this point they'll even make it passed the first. That being said I hope I'm wrong.

Keith Ballard will help this team more than I think people give him credit for.

Seems to me, this team's defense became pretty average about the time that he went down with injury.

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Salo

Ballard Rome

This is an obvious upgrade over:

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Gragnani

Tanev Rome

Archived