The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Was Being "bold" And Over-Confidence Gillis' Fault?

Lui's Knob

I felt Gillis gave into the pressure to get a potential top six power forward. I'll go out on record as saying I absolutely hate the play of Kassian. He will never be an effective top 6 forward and I think there are far better options on this roster to fill the position of 4th line RW.

Hodgson wasn't getting his minutes on the 3rd. He could have been given those minutes on the RW of the 2nd line. Maybe there was more to the story than that but as far as I'm concerned this team lost a key asset and gained almost nothing in return.

I love AV, but I have a feeling the team has stopped listening to him. The Canucks are one of the best coached teams in the league but after 6 years I have a feeling the players have started to block him out. I'm absolutely disgusted with how terrible the team has played. They look almost as bad as the Leafs as of late.

The second line is our only line in the game right now and even they are struggling.

I've said this before and I'm sure I'll say it again. Management looked in the wrong places for answers. The team has been struggling the entire second half of the season (since Christmas), at first Luongo was bailing them out but he isn't consistent enough to bail them out all season. The guy can't do everything. The problem wasn't lack of 3rd line defensive capability with Hodgson as our 3rd line center, it was our top 6 and lack of primary scoring, specifically the Sedins.

This team will not make it passed the second round. I doubt at this point they'll even make it passed the first. That being said I hope I'm wrong.

I think you guys are just being a bunch of sore losers right now. If you are a true fan, you understand team goes through slump and need to regain their groove. In my opinion, it is a good thing that we're slumping right now. It is always better to slump early then slump in the Stanley Cup Final. Just continue to show your support for your team, and hope for the best and believe in the group we have. Trade has passed, team rosters are locked, deal with it.

That deal killed our Cup chances, and will be biting us in the butt for a decade.

maybe squeak through a playoff round, but they don't have the horses or the will for a long run, I'm afraid. My roommate whose Australian, starting watching the Canucks before the trade deadline, and thought hockey was the most exciting sport he'd ever seen. Since then, he can't believe how dull the games are, and how mediocre the team looks. He can't stand to watch anymore, and I think I'm going to take a pass too, till the playoffs, and pray for a miracle. But it really looks like an early exit, and a partial rebuild next year (new third line center, tough winger, re-tool the defense) with a new coach.

I felt Gillis gave into the pressure to get a potential top six power forward. I'll go out on record as saying I absolutely hate the play of Kassian. He will never be an effective top 6 forward and I think there are far better options on this roster to fill the position of 4th line RW.

Hodgson wasn't getting his minutes on the 3rd. He could have been given those minutes on the RW of the 2nd line. Maybe there was more to the story than that but as far as I'm concerned this team lost a key asset and gained almost nothing in return.

I love AV, but I have a feeling the team has stopped listening to him. The Canucks are one of the best coached teams in the league but after 6 years I have a feeling the players have started to block him out. I'm absolutely disgusted with how terrible the team has played. They look almost as bad as the Leafs as of late.

The second line is our only line in the game right now and even they are struggling.

I've said this before and I'm sure I'll say it again. Management looked in the wrong places for answers. The team has been struggling the entire second half of the season (since Christmas), at first Luongo was bailing them out but he isn't consistent enough to bail them out all season. The guy can't do everything. The problem wasn't lack of 3rd line defensive capability with Hodgson as our 3rd line center, it was our top 6 and lack of primary scoring, specifically the Sedins.

This team will not make it passed the second round. I doubt at this point they'll even make it passed the first. That being said I hope I'm wrong.

top 4 defensemans oduya, gill, and kubina, i think are all good D guys but realistically if ballard comes back we have more than enough bodies on D and its been a long season for the team...i think this is a bit of an over reaction its tough watching the team lose after last years stellar regular and post season, but this team is quietly waiting for the playoffs look at teams like the the flames and leafs just dying for wins and constantly losing we are sitting pretty and you cant win them all

Keith Ballard will help this team more than I think people give him credit for.

Seems to me, this team's defense became pretty average about the time that he went down with injury.

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Salo

Ballard Rome

This is an obvious upgrade over:

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Gragnani

Tanev Rome

Trading Hodgson maybe wasn't the best play.

In other news, did anyone see how fast the "Luongo getting a divorce" thread was taken down? Anything personal or anti-canucks or anti-canucks management is taken down or locked so fast you can't even say SENSORSHIP. Probably gonna get this post edited or deleted too. Wouldn't be surprised.... So much for free speech and all. GO CANUCKS GO!

Gill, Oduya, and Kubina are not Top 4 D. To those saying that Kassian will never be a top 6 power forward.. unless you have the ability to predict the future, you have no credibility to say this. He has huge potential, which is why we acquired him. The management knows what they are doing for the team, much more than you. There's a reason why they have their jobs, and why you're still in high school.

Kassian is young and inexperienced. He has yet to fully develop. Cody is a year ahead of him in development. It's really not that hard to understand, people.

Trading Hodgson maybe wasn't the best play.

In other news, did anyone see how fast the "Luongo getting a divorce" thread was taken down? Anything personal or anti-canucks or anti-canucks management is taken down or locked so fast you can't even say SENSORSHIP. Probably gonna get this post edited or deleted too. Wouldn't be surprised.... So much for free speech and all. GO CANUCKS GO!

Hey mr mc smarty pants: Yea, Hodgson was our chance to win the Cup cause he's the allstar.

We definitely don't have the horses for a long playoff run, because we practically have the same team as last year, got tough which = longer playoff runs, but your the don here who knows a lot.

Never knew that your Australian roommate, who just started watching hockey prior to the deadline, can tell the fate of a team due to how the teams looked lately, and not to mention the most important part, your going to stop following the team for the rest of the season, and get back on the bandwagon when the playoffs start; bold move.

Another mr mc smarty pants here.

(.....I know this may sound mean, but there's no other way to put it into words without it going straight through the ears of these guys:

You guys who think the Canucks have no chance, team sucks, Hodgson was going to win the Cup for us cause he would of weared down opponents and not Kassian, recent play means the team sucks = you guys are morons.)

Canucks biggest problems are.

The Sedins are either on the way downward or burnt out or a little of both. The consistency of their production or threat to produce has dropped significantly this year.

3rd Line last year shut teams down and scored some key goals. This year for some reason an identity has not been established on this line and with Pahlsson instead of Hodgson it seems like we now have 2 good 4th lines instead.

Ehrhoff,s production has been missed, Raymond, Kesler, Malhotra for obvious reasons have been significantly weaker than last season. Booth has been a nice upgrade on Raymond but something about all the players knowing where they fit with this years team seems to be a work in progress. For some reason this years team seems to lack the hunger and desire of last seasons and unless they show some signs where they can dominate teams in the next 10 games i,m afraid it might be a short spring for the Canuck faithful.

Archived