The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's Happened To Kesler's Hands This Year

trapezoid

Linden also lost his good hands at around the same age as Kesler is now and was never a 30 goal scorer again. It happens. I'm sure Kesler's hip is still an issue and changing linemates are to some extent also, but he also isn't the smartest or most adaptable player either. There's a lot of variables here.

He's trying to do too much by himself... on a rush, he always tries to split the defensemen and never makes it. Or he'll get past one, and the other will stand him up. The goal against Nashville is the only time I can ever remember it working. I don't think it's that he needs to use his wingers more, but he's a much better shooter than dangler. He needs to go back to getting in shooting position and going to the dirty areas in front of the net instead of trying to deke everyone out.

I've noticed recently that he is using his linemates much more than before. Remember that awesome drop pass to Higgins last night? That was a really nice play, especially because everyone thinks he's gonna shoot. He'll get his hands back in the playoffs, I think he seems disinterested right now, much like most of the team. Come post-season, this will be a very different looking Canucks team.

The reason Kesler was so dominant last season was because he had practiced his shot the whole summer. He obviously didn't have any time after last season, so naturally his shot declined.

Kesler has shown a vast improvement ever since the coaching staff moved him to the point on the PP. Last season, Kesler provided a good net presence, but would often slip into the higher slot for a one-timer. Earlier this season, Kesler seemed to always be in front of the net, and that really doesn't make use of his skills. Now that he mans a point, he gets to see all of the ice.

Well the main difference i see with Kesler this compaired to last season is he's not getting as many tips as he did last year on the pp, last year he was a beast screening tendies. He seems to wait to long on his release and often the shot gets deflected out of play and on top of that the surgery...here's hoping he'll be ready :emot-parrot:

Archived