The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Raymond Experiment: Negative Motivation For The Team?

Disgruntler

:lol:

I think one of the reasons my first post was a negative, is because that negative erased one of my few positives right now: the AMEX line's effectiveness. Actually really like the 3rd line too. But in the interest of being proactive and not just critical, I would submit the following forward lines for consideration:

Sedin / Sedin / Kassian

Higgins / Kesler / Booth

Burrows / Pahlsson / Hansen

Manny / Lappy / Weise

The difference between Raymond and Hansen is that Raymond is put in a position to succeed. He is given better linemates and given PP time. Hansen has been chipping in with points despite playing mostly with 3rd/4th line grinders, #1 PK, and no PP for his entire career. Raymond also signed a much bigger contract so he is expected to perform.

I've always thought Raymond was overrated and piggybacked on the success of Kesler and the rushing defensemen. He's often the beneificiary of plays, he's usually not the one making things happen.

I think a big issue most people have is the meritocracy and benefit of the doubt. I'll give Kesler and Sedins the benefit of the doubt because they have done it multiple times before. But as for Raymond, he just had one fluke season and he cashed in big for it. Higgins has been one of our most dependable players all season. No matter which line he plays on, there always seems to be a positive effect.

The difference between Raymond and Hansen is that Raymond is put in a position to succeed. He is given better linemates and given PP time. Hansen has been chipping in with points despite playing mostly with 3rd/4th line grinders, #1 PK, and no PP for his entire career. Raymond also signed a much bigger contract so he is expected to perform.

I've always thought Raymond was overrated and piggybacked on the success of Kesler and the rushing defensemen. He's often the beneificiary of plays, he's usually not the one making things happen.

I think a big issue most people have is the meritocracy and benefit of the doubt. I'll give Kesler and Sedins the benefit of the doubt because they have done it multiple times before. But as for Raymond, he just had one fluke season and he cashed in big for it. Higgins has been one of our most dependable players all season. No matter which line he plays on, there always seems to be a positive effect.

Hey, I'm not a Raymond hater, let's be clear on that. My question was centred on any impact on team dynamics the seemingly prolonged tweaking of lines to get Raymond working might have.

Having said that, I fully agree, Raymond look on fire last night. Like, crazy dangling, chipping pucks to himself, shots on net. Looked like a full meal deal. More of that please!

So you want a kid on the 1st line with the Sedins, and you want your #1 Center on the team to play wing on the 4th line? That's questionable at best. Bottom line is..... while it seems like the sky is falling to us Canuck fans.... I'm not very concerned really, as long as we get ourselves re-energized come playoff time that's all that really matters

I would go further and say that is the most dynamic display from a forward we have had all season. With a bit of luck he could have had a hat-trick.

I would have eaten my laptop if we had traded him, to see him come back and play like that against us. Kudos AV, you're no fool.

I didn't mention Bieksa in my earlier post because I am no fan of him. In his breakout year (his only good year), all other defensemen were injured so he got the opportunity to play. Since then, he's needed a crutch to make him look good. ie. Mitchell or Hamhuis who are excellent stay at home defensemen.

It only took one game of a Edler-Bieksa pairing to show Bieksa's true worth.

Archived