The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

West Coast Express Vs Sedin Line

uber_pwnzor

WCE vs Sedin line?  

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

the thing is, as a few people have said already, the sedin line has secondary scoring and a better supporting cast.

on a pure skill, excitement level, i will take the WCE. They were feared, nobody wanted to play against them.

sigh...i miss hughstons calls..morrison through center, passes to bertuzzi...bertuzzi drives drops naslund SCORESS

The game has evolved a lot since the WCE. New strategies and tactics have continually changed the game. For example, power forwards are not able to carry the puck and drive it towards the net as easily anymore. Neutral zones are clogged oftentimes in the 3rd period by the team that's ahead.

Man for man, I believe WCE had more skill. They had everything in that line. Bertuzzi - one of the best, if not the best, power forward in that time, Naslund -one of the top 3 snipers in the league and Morrison - a great 2 way forward who made lots of great passes and was overshadowed by the skills of his wingers.

Despite that fact that the WCE had more skills, I believe the Sedins have done a better job of understanding the game at a different level and developed new strategies and tactics. i.e. drop pass, slap pass, the way they cycle to play keep away, etc. etc. The game now is soo well developed that it's hard for a skilled player to be able to rack up the points if they don't understand the game at a different level and that's where I believe the Sedins excel their counterparts. Therefore, I give the Sedin Line the edge over the WCE Line.

The WCE was a blip in the reality of the NHL. Sorry but two seasons of big numbers doesn't cut it. Defensively they were a disaster. As a result how can you measure what that cost the Canucks in lost opportunity in playoffs. It obviously didn't pay as they never got their team past the 2nd round.

The Sedin story hasn't been completed in Van yet. Their Art Ross trophies measure them against the whole NHL. They haven't won the CUP and might never do so but they have always been team leaders. On a simple basis of comparing numbers you could easily ask where the Sedin stats would be if the franchise had got them a Burrows years earlier. Also consider how they changed the game with their cycling out of the corners. NHL defences have had to adjust against them and all those who have copied them.

speed: Naz and BMO were def faster than the Sedins but the Sedins are faster than Bert and Burr is pretty quick too. I say Tied

size: Bert makes this a hands down for the WCE

possession: daniel to henrik back to dank over to hank scores

grit:Bmo's smile wins this round

Iron man:With all due respect to BMO's streak and the grittier style of play the Sedin's are titanium plated.

Playoffs WCE always choked in the playoffs but so has the Sedin line. So I say tied.

Looks like a tie here folks

I think the Sedins have lost respect of refs , players for never standing up for themselves.

Any cross check after the whistle should be met with a hack , push of their own and take the penalty.

I anyone sticks a finger in their face again , it should be grabbed and bent back until the player drops to his knees ( Thornton)

The WCE line had big Bert to police it.

The WCE was not a long lasting thing and when those of you point out that they were "hands-down" the best line in hockey or Big Bert was the best powerforward seem to forget there is a little competition from within our own division. Let's not forget our top line looked very similar to Colorado's except Forsberg, Sakic, Hejduk were better. The best year of the WCE still produced only a Pearson for Naslund, while Hejduk has a Rocket Richard, Forsberg beat out Naslund that year for the Art Ross...let alone the Stanley Cups that team won.

I would actually argue that last year and the year before that the Sedin line has produced in a way that the WCE never did in it's short span of existence. Now that's not to say the WCE wasn't exciting though. After Bure, the WCE had a very very exciting brand of hockey with speed and skill that the Canucks hadn't had for a while. In fact we still do not have the sniping in our lineup that existed then. Of course the Canucks are more skilled, but let's not discount the Sedin's accomplishments and amazing consistency based on that.

You obviously haven't seen the WCE play. Henrik is a much better passer than Morrison, but that is about it. Morrison had speed and a great 2 way game. Henrik is only a little bit better than BMo. Bertuzzi was the best powerforward in the league in his prime, hands down, Burrows doesn't come close, and Burrows is probably my favourite player on the canucks right now. Nazzy had everything Daniel had, but was better at it and faster too. Only thing Daniel had over Nazzy is passing, but not by too much. This isn't even an argument if you've seen both play. The WCE had 2 players score 45+ goals for years, while playing in the dead puck era, and they put up the same amount of points as the Sedin line.

If they were in thier prime, playing with the supporting cast right now, I would expect we would have won the cup by now, and Nazzy would probably be a 60 goal, 110 point scorer in the league.

Archived